Scotland - Skye and Inverness

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2017, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are spending a week in Scotland and want to spend a couple fo days at Inverness and a couple on Skye. Have been there before but many years ago (20+) and want to go back to enjoy. We are looking for accommodation recommendation for both locations and ideas for a relaxing and enjoyable time at these locations. Thank you.
Old Dec 4th, 2017, 10:42 PM

Received 28 Likes on 4 Posts
We were on holiday in Scotland in October. We stayed at the Lynver Guest House in Inverness and the Duirinish Guest House in Portree, Skye - both exceptional accommodation choices. Personally, there isn't much to do in Inverness itself (we only spent a night there to break journey after a long day of driving from Pitlochry, enjoying Dalwhinie Distillery, Aviemore, Caringorms etc. en route), though the Ness Islands Walk was interesting. Skye is glorious - and I'd suggest spending at least 3 nights there if possible to do it justice. This may be helpful http://www.earthtrekkers.com/perfect...kye-itinerary/.
Old Dec 5th, 2017, 12:00 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You have just a week in Scotland and want to spend two days in Inverness??? I sure wouldn't. What is the rest of your itinerary like? To get two days on Skye requires 3 nights. NEAR Inverness is fine but he city is not much to write home bout. But if you stay there 2 nights nd 3 on Skye you only have two days for anywhere else . . .

What is you budget? The most central location on the Isle (making touring on a short stay easier/more convenient) is at sligachan.
Old Dec 5th, 2017, 04:43 AM

I really enjoyed my stay in Inverness, followed by a week on the Isle of Skye, but I enjoy theatre & Scottish architecture (and I did some useful shopping). Just in general I enjoy non-touristic Scottish (some of the residential neighborhoods along the Ness are lovely), so it depends on what you are looking for. (To provide some perspective, I fled Dunkeld and Princes Street in Edinburgh for their touristy feel, and I oft see people on Fodor's insisting these are desirable destinations and even "musts" for tourists).

I have forgotten where I stayed near the banks of the Ness, and rented a cottage in the Trotternish on the Isle of Skye with sea & island views. I did a lot of hiking and didn't care much for Portree. Were I to return to to Skye I would definitely stay in the countryside, not in a town, and would happily return to Inverness.
Old Dec 5th, 2017, 05:28 AM

btw, this is a fun resource if you are headed to Scotland. You can use its search feature to look up specific towns and areas, and the A-Z for Inverness has some nice pointers depending on your interests

https://www.scotsmagazine.com/articl...t-inverness-m/
Old Dec 5th, 2017, 06:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Another who was not impressed with Inverness. A Scottish friend warned me, but I went anyway. Is it because the name sounds lovely? Is it because certain guidebooks refer to it as the capitol of the highlands (it may be, politically -- but that doesn't make it attractive to the tourist)?

There are some interesting places nearby -- I particularly liked the Clava Cairns -- but I found the town dull. I suggest one night, if you must, then on to Skye.
Old Dec 5th, 2017, 07:15 AM

The point of Inverness is what it's near, not what it is.

It is near:

Culloden Battlefield
Cawdor Castle
Loch Ness
Clava Cairns
Brodie Castle

and with a touch more driving

Dunrobin Castle
Glenmorangie Distillery
Old Dec 5th, 2017, 08:05 AM

My first trip to Inverness was some 35 years ago and at that time it was certainly a dreary town. I have returned more recently and it has improved a great deal. While much better, it still doesn't have much to offer most tourists but, as BigRuss says, << it's not what it is, but what's near >> and, as he points out, there are a number of interesting places to visit close by.

I stayed at the Glen Mhor Hotel situated along the River Ness, and it was very pleasant. If traveling to Skye you will, as janisj said, need 3 nights to actually have 2 days. There are a number of wonderful places to stay on Skye but would need to know your budget as prices there range considerably. Be aware that Skye gets very busy during the summer months and places get booked quickly.
Old Dec 5th, 2017, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much. We are actually spending the first three days St. Andrews. I'll do some more research based on everyone's response to my inquiry. John