Isle of Skye worth a week?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2003, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a 3 week trip to Scotland next summer. At least two weeks we want to stay in timeshares. We already have the Hilton Craigendarroch in Ballater near Balmoral castle for a week and am trying to decide on another location for a week. There is a timeshare on the Isle of Skye that looks neat, I already have a search going for a timeshare in Loch Lomond area and Fifeshire area but was wondering if I should add this one or should we be choosing a different area all together?
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 09:13 AM
jor

The Isle of Skye is very beautiful, sparse, and unpopulated. I enjoyed hiking up a mountain on Skye and the grassy endless hills. However if you like a bit of action or entertainment you could get a little bored there. It all depends on how much solitude and isolation you like. Its a great place to leave the world behind if that's what you are looking for. Also, Skye is more conservative and religion based than the rest of Scotland if that makes a difference for you.
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 03:03 PM

Skye is beautiful and remote and grand if you love mountains and spectacular scenery.
If you want to be within half an hour of Glasgow but still have Glencoe and the West Highlands within feasible reach go for Loch Lomond (can get busy though as so near the city). Or if you fancy fishing villages, a few castles, a gentler more agricultural landscape as well as a short jaunt over the Forth bridge to Edinburgh then opt for Fife (no shire btw). Skye would make a good contrast if you're thinking of taking in several locations in the country and if you want to sample the scenery of the West Highlands at it's most dramatic, I could suggest no better destination. Incidentally if you end up in Skye at the time of the Portree Highland Games you won't want for entertainment or atmosphere
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 03:05 PM

I've stayed in a least 7 different Time shares in Scotland. You will love Craigendarroch. The Units are very POSH and it is a good base to see everything from Inverness to Aberdeen and the "Castle Trail", to Perth, plus everything along the Dee.

If the two places at Loch Lomond and Fife are Cameron House and Kilconquhar - both are REALLY wonderful. If you can get one of the flats in the main manor house at Kilconquhar it would be my 1st choice. the chalets in the grounds are nice but the flats are really great. There is a TON of things to see w/i a reasonable drive of Kilconquhar -- St Andrews, all of the Fife fishing villages, Falkland, Glamis, the famous golf courses (including Carnoustie), Edinburgh, Stirling, etc.

Cameron House is a FABULOUS place - Probably my favorite in Scotland. But for a 1st time visitor I would recommend Kilconquhar simply because of the proximity to major sites.

As for your main question - Skye is lovely and definitely worth a few days - but the other two areas would be closer to more "stuff".

If I had three weeks and two time shares I might do it this way - since the timeshares mostly start on Saturdays:

3 nights in edinburgh after arrival, drive via Stirling through the Trossachs for one night, 2 or 3 nights on Skye, 7 nights at Craigendarroch, and 7 nights at either Kilconquhar or Cameron House. That is a littlle zig-zaggy around the country but the set beginning days of the time shares put some kinks in easy plans.
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 04:43 AM

I went to the Isle of Skye in June for three days and that was enough for me. It depends what you like though, if you like being out where there's hardly anyone, not many shops, not many restaurants bars etc, then go for it. If you love to hike and be outdoors then it's for you. Three days was great though. We stayed in Portree and we drove around the island, saw Dunvegan Castle, went on the Bella Jane boat trip (highly recommend), hiked, saw the waterfall, and a few other things. A whole week might be a bit much.

Have fun!
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

I made a mistake when I checked the resorts again it was the Isle of Aaron not Skye. I have stayed at the Craigendarroch for a week before and that are was the only area of Scotland we saw and we loved it. I'll keep my search going for Cameron House and Kilconquhar and other resorts you think I should add Janis. I actually could do all three weeks in a TS but I thought we might want to travel around a bit more. Thanks for all the suggestions from everyone.
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 08:42 PM

I'm glad to see your update because for the life of me I could not think of a timeshare on Skye.

Arran (not Aaron) is a great place but probably not a good choice for a week's stay when you only have 3 weeks total.

Another property to check is Forrest Hills on Loch Ard near Aberfoyle. It is not as posh as Cameron House or Kilconquhar, but the location is terrific. Right on the edge of the Loch, near the Lake of Mentieth and its island priory, easy access to Stirling, the Trossachs, Loch Katrine, Glencoe, and all of central Scotland. The units are large and the amenities are good too.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 02:28 PM

Just a thought -- the ferries are expensive, especially if you have a car. If you're staying on an island, you're pretty much bounded to that island. If you're staying on the mainland, you have a wide area you can explore. We just got back from two weeks in Scotland and loved it -- drove 1664 miles and covered a lot of ground, including two days on Skye. Two days was plenty for us, and Arran is even smaller.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 06:26 PM
jor

wauhob, I also wondered about a time share on Skye. At least you had the honesty to admit you had the wrong island.

Have a good time.