Train from CDG to Normandy - help please

Old Dec 13th, 2004, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train from CDG to Normandy - help please

My sisters and I are arriving on a Friday in late July at CDG. I want to rent a car at CDG and drive towards Normandy and stay in Les Andeleys the first night. My sister does not want us to have to drive on the first day and suggests we train (she will be the driver, I will be the navigator, baby sis will be passenger).

I have been looking at SNCF and diebahn sites and it doesn't look very easy. Anyone else do this? Where did you go the first night? I am thinking Rouen and pick up a car but I would like suggestions. Thanks so much.
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 11:28 AM

It is really easy to just rent at CDG and head north--you're already on that side of Paris. If you train to Normandy you have to go into Paris (money spent) and then take a train (money spent) to wherever you are going to rent your car. Rouen is only a short drive from CDG via the autoroute. We even drove up the north side of the Seine for a good way for some wonderful scenery. Checked into our Rouen hotel at about 6PM. Oh, I see you are talking about Les Andeleys which would be very doable--that was where we crossed back across the river.
We had even planned to stop in Giverney but drove on because it was raining so hard. I hope you can convince them that this is not difficult at all. I think the stress of getting into Paris and the train, etc. is much harder.
And in July you will have a LOT of daylight even late.
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

I probably should have given you a few more details because someone might have other suggestions as well. We will be going to Paris after Normandy. We have 10 days.

Sightseeing priorities are Giverney, Hornfleur, Mt. St. Michele. Where would be a good place to turn the car in? Rennes? My sister would also like to see Chartres. Should we train or drive to Chartres from Mt. St. Michel?
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Gretchen, thanks for the info. I'm with you but sis feels that after flying in from Atlanta she will be jet lagged. I just think it would be so much easier to drive because the train does look like a pain unless we took a taxi from the airport to the correct train station in Paris.

How did you like Rouen? Where did you stay? I am hoping to plan it so we can be there on a Saturday for the market.
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 11:41 AM

Gretchen has a great suggestion. If you want to see Giverny, it would be a short drive from CDG and you could stay there your first night. Then you could see Normandy and return to Chartres, leaving the car there and taking the train into Paris. Do you have an interest in the WWII sights? If so, Bayeux is a lovely place to stay near the sights.
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, mamc. Yes we would like to see the WWII sights but I don't think I want to spend an entire day.

Still would like to know if anyone has done the train or knows how to do it from CDG to Normandy so I can give them options.
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 01:43 PM

The reference library of a city near you may have the Thomas Cook European Timetable. Table 11 shows that TGV trains with buffet cars leave Charles de Gaulle airport railway station at 0839 (daily), 1027 (Sundays only), and 1337 and take 1 hour 40 minutes to Le Mans. Apart from rush periods you can book at the station in the airport, but from 15 December to 5 January you should book in advance. I suggest you use an agency, by e mail, with a credit card or debit card. You can use Euraide in Florida, http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...e/homepage.htm, telephone 1 941-480-1555 fax 1 941-480-1522 [email protected]). Also you can book through four firms in Britain:

Trainseurope Ltd, of Cambridgeshire and London, take credit card bookings by phone and mail tickets to any address. Have the widest access in Britain to rail systems and tickets. http://www.trainseurope.co.uk/ - E-mail [email protected]. Phone 00 44 900 195 0101 - calls from Britain cost 60 pence or 40 euros a minute, maximum 5, but if the enquiry results in a booking, the cost of the call is deducted from the final invoice. Phone Mon to Fri 10 to 5 British time

German Rail UK: www.deutsche-bahn.co.uk/ Phone : 00 44 870 243 53 63 then 6. Fax : 00 44 208 339 4700. E-mail : [email protected]

Ffestiniog Travel, site http://www.festtravel.co.uk, e-mail [email protected], phone 00 44 176 651 2400

Inside France (Canterbury). Phone 0044 1227 450088. 29/30 Palace Street, Canterbury, Kent, CT1 2DZ. Booking form on site www.rail-canterbury.co.uk/. Or e-mail [email protected]/.

For international tickets, berths and seats Trainseurope are ten percent cheaper than German Rail UK or Ffestiniog Travel. For domestic Italian trains they are cheaper again. German Rail UK are cheaper than Trainseurope or Ffestiniog Travel for domestic trains within Germany and may be competitive with them for international trips with a big proportion of miles in Germany. Trainseurope take Visa and MasterCard, but not Amex or Diners.

RailEurope take a thirty percent markup on standard prices.

[email protected]
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 02:18 PM

Getting from CDG to Caen or Bayeux by train isn't really as rigorous as it may appear, even if you have more luggage than you can manage without a porter. The train to Normandy departs from Gare St. Lazare, in north-central Paris.

The most convenient way would be to take a taxi from CDG directly there. A cab will get all three of you there for about €50 (depending on how much wait time you have to buy). This is your best choice if your baggage is an issue. But there are also several less expensive options that will shorten your taxi ride by getting you into Paris proper before the meter starts.

A commuter rail line called RER B from CDG goes to Gare du Nord. From there, you can either change to the RER E to St. Lazare (which involves a little walking), or take bus 26 right to the station. The inclusive price is €7.85 for any RER method, with or without the bus. The RER involves going up and down stairs; the bus does not.

The Roissybus will take you to Opéra for €8.30 each, and a 5-minute walk later you're at St. Lazare. All other things being equal, this would be my choice for what you're trying to accomplish.
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 03:10 PM

I think the car is by far the best option. To get from CDG to Rouen, you will have to get yourselves (and luggage) into Paris--St. Lazare station--and then figure out the train system. Do not underestimate the difficulties of dealing with the 3 L's: Luggage, Language, and Logistics associated with this effort. The train to Rouen will probably take 1 1/2 hours. In all, I would say you're talking at least 5-6 hours from the time you land at CDG.

On the other hand, if you rent a car at CDG, you can be on the road less than 2 hours after landing.

Here's an option.
You could drive from CDG to Auvers-sur-Oise, one-time home of Van Gogh. It's less than a half hour drive. Have an early dinner and get some sleep. Then continue on to Giverny the next day.

See Normandy and Mont St. Michel. As for drive or train to Chartres, the time is about the same for both...3 to 3 1/2 hours (from Rennes). I wouldn't go to Rennes except to catch a train. So, given the equal time and the need to change trains in Le Mans, I would opt to drive from the Mont to Chartres. (You could also do Chartres as a day trip from Paris.)
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 03:46 PM

We drove directly from CDG to Les Andelys after a long flight from California--and didn't find the journey bad at all. The roads are good, the traffic isn't especially heavy, and Les Andelys (La Chaîne d'Or in particular) is a scenic place to spend part of the day and then the night.
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 03:57 PM

I've often wondered the same thing that Rhonda is asking about - as I want to go to Normandy in the future. I get a little panicky about picking up a car at CDG - I much prefer getting the car in a smaller town. CDG is so big, and finding the car rental, way to autoroute, etc. (all those cars whizzing by so fast!) - especially after flying all night (and I never can sleep on the plane), well, my heart starts racing just thinking about it.
I would love to drive and stop at Les Andelys, too - but.....

Everyone sounds like picking up the car at CDG is so easy, but is it really??
Actually, I think there are car rentals at Vernon (the train stop for Giverny).
Has anyone done this?
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 04:13 PM
amelia

Let me give you a different perspective. My husband HATES renting a car in Europe and we do everything we can do avoid it. However, he looked at your question and said, "Pick up the darn car at the airport right away--easy as pie to Les Andeleys." It truly is. The traffic is not bad there. Just make sure you both study the route OUT of the airport very clearly and review how to work the car and you'll be fine.

This way, you'll arrive at your hotel at check-in time and can crash if you want to.

Old Dec 13th, 2004, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank You All for the great information! Getting to the train in Paris is exactly what I thought! Difficult. I think I have talked my sister into renting a car at CDG. I have dropped a car at CDG before but not picked one up there. Sure it won't be too difficult especially after I consult Fodorites!

Underhill, I read your report on Les Andeleys and I want to go there too!!! It looks just so beautiful. In fact, that was how I enticed my sister - told her you can't get there by train. lol (You probably can.)

Ben, I think Le Mans is southwest of Paris. This would be an option if we went to Mont St. Michel first.
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Amelia, your husband gave me a laugh. We got so lost trying to turn in our car at CDG but we did it! I have promised my sis I will get specific directions. She is coming from Atlanta so isn't quite as bad as me from CA.
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 04:30 PM

Amelia, your post with your husband's comment almost gave me hope! Maybe I'll work up the courage. Anyway, I won't be going to Normandy for at least a year - my next trip is to the Dordogne in May, and that is definitely by train!

Good luck to you, Rhonda. Please report back here after your trip - I'll be anxious to hear about the whole trip.
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 04:35 PM

Coming from Atlanta, I suspect she'll be fine. We arrived early morning from Atlanta and I didn't feel sleepy until that night. I think the adrenaline kicks in after landing. Frankly, we were more tired the 2nd day, so that might be a good time for a relaxing day in Giverny.
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 05:11 PM

Ronda:

If your plane arrives at CDG early in the morning, there's no reason at all to be panicky about getting on the périférique and driving north of Paris into Normandy, whether you stop at Giverney or Rouen or wherever. Traffic on the Périférique is hardly daunting until after about 9:30-10:00 in the morning because it's rush hour. It's usually quite slow, in fact, except for the motorcyclists who are racing between cars and trucks at astonishing speeds. Pay them no mind.

You'll probably amble along at a slow enough pace to easily read signs and navigate until it's time to take the turnoff toward Normandy. Stop at either Giverny or Rouen for the night and call it a day.

This, to my mind, as someone who has done a zillion trips to CDG followed by either a train trip or a car trip, is the easiest way to go. After an all-night flight, getting into Paris, whether by taxi or RER (ugh!) or RoissyBus, followed by a train ride, followed by a rental pickup and short drive, is about 5 steps more in the travel process than you need to do and will prove far more exhausting in the long run.

Sure, you'll have a big adrenaline rush when you turn on the engine of that rental car and head out into traffic, but after a few kilomters, you'll know you made the sensible decision. Besides, you've got people to navigate for you - make sure you all get good maps ahead of time and study them.
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 06:52 PM

I have not read all the replies. I did read one that said something about being nervous about getting the car at CDG. It is a NO brainer. Go to the desk (highly recommend AutoEurope) and let the very mannerly people help you. It took all of 30 minutes from getting our luggage.
I recommend returning the car to Orly, seeing Chartres on the way back from Normandy. Orly is smaller and closer to Paris.
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 07:29 PM

You might want to consider returning the car in Chartres if that is your last stop before heading to Paris.

There is a car rental office right at the train station, just a few blocks from the cathedral. Sorry, I don't recall which rental company we used there.

If I remember correctly, the train Chartres-Paris is an hour and a half or so, into Montparnasse.

If you are able, try to arrange your time in Chartres so you'll include a Malcolm Miller tour of the cathedral. And you might want to bring binoculars.

Old Dec 14th, 2004, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

k_marie, sounds like an excellent plan. I am also thinking we might stay overnight in Chartes.

Thanks again all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -