Train from Munich Airport to Neuburg D/O or Use Expensive Taxi Service

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2012, 08:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All; My trip to Italy will begin at the end of this week (which I was able to organize
with all of your help). Towards the end of the trip, I am flying from Florence to
Munich and Munich back to Milan. I need to get to the town Neuburg D/O and I
wonder where one would get the train to Munich at the airport? I would then have to
change to a regional train in Munich to Ingolstat and Ingolstat to Neuburg. HAS ANYONE
DONE THIS TRIP? Are there lifts or will I have to go up and down the stairs with
luggage? Will I be able to purchase a ticket on the train at the airport? I am afraid to
purchase online, in case the plane doesn't arrive on time. I noticed on line that
there is a taxi service but the cost is 148 E one way. (more than my airline ticket). Any help will be greatly appreciated. Has anyone used a less costly service? Thanks so
much for all of your help!!! JOHANNA
Old May 21st, 2012, 11:08 PM

If you can avoid long-distance trains (ICE, IC) and start your trip after 9am from Munich airport, you can do this on Bayern ticket for regional transport. It's a day pass for around €20 for a single traveler, and you can use any train any route in the whole state. As the best routing to Neuburg (Donau) can be via Munich and Ingolstadt or via Munich and Augsburg, I would pay the small surcharge of appr. €2 and get the Bayern ticket from the desk at the airport and ask them to print the itinerary that is best for the actual time of your departure.

A more comfortable alternative (with a catch) would be to take the direct shuttle bus for €20 from the airport to Ingolstadt. And train the remaining few kms.
The catch: the airport shuttle does not officially stop at the main train station, but at the central bus station. Which is not in walking distance of the train station. You could inquire by mail at the bus company if they do request stops at the train station.
http://www.invg.de/airportexpress.php
Email address at bottom of page.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! Cowboy 68. It would be great if I could take a direct bus to Ingolstat and then train to Neuburg. I am arriving from Florence at Terminal 2. Is the bus terminal
and/or the train station clearly marked and right in the airport or would I have to
go outside? Thank you so much for the web site and I will contact them immediately
I appreciate your help. Johanna
Old May 22nd, 2012, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

HI Cowboy 68: The web site is in German. I will attempt to call them today
and perhaps someone speaks English. Thank you. Johanna
Old May 22nd, 2012, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Cowboy 68, will I have a problem getting a bus after 3 pm on a Saturday?
Otherwise, I am wondering if I should stay in Munich overnight but on Sunday
the schedule might be sparser? This is the first time that I am doing this alone
so a little concerned. Appreciate all of the help. Johanna
Old May 22nd, 2012, 07:58 AM

The bus has only a few departures per day, any day.
After 3pm, the next departures will be 15:45, 17:15, 18:45, 20:15, 21:45.
This will make the bus a less favorable option than the train.
As the bus does NOT regularly stop at Ingolstadt train station, you should only do this if the bus company confirmed that they will stop there.
If you don't want to call, try to e-mail:
[email protected]

The train via Munich will actually be better. You definetely don't need to spend the night in Munich.

I just noticed that you don't even have to worry about getting a discount ticket! So forget all I wrote in my first post.
The regular train ticket costs just €36, and you can take any train, including the fast ICEs. Just hop on the next you can catch. No planning or hurrying required.

You can by the ticket online, and print at home if you want. Or buy it at Munich airport for a small surcharge. Do NOT board the S-Bahn to Munich main station without a ticket, you cannot buy them on board.

I suggest you get a ticket online at bahn.com
Check connection from "Munich Airport T" to "Neuburg(Donau)" and choose your actual date of travel and approximate hour of departure.
Tick "Single Journey".
Leave all other options untouched.
Choose "Standard Fare" for any connection shown on next screen.
Even though you picked one specific connection, the ticket will be valid for ANY train on this route all day long.
Decline reservations.
In the course of booking, you will be asked for an ID document, e.g. a credit card. You MUST take this CC with you when you travel.
Print out pdf ticket and take it with you.

Also the S-Bahn ride from the airport to Munich main station is covered by that ticket.

1. Take any S-Bahn from Munich airport to Munich main station.
2. Change to overground main hall (follow signs for long-distance trains).
3. Take next northbound ICE via Ingolstadt to Ingolstadt. They leave either .15 or .16 past the hour.
4. Transfer to regional train bound for Ulm to Neuburg (Donau).
The train stations at Munich airport, Munich main station, and Ingolstadt have lifts and/or escalators.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Dear Cowboy 68: You are a lifesaver! Thank you so much. I had gone on the site
but was afraid to purchase the ticket but now I can follow your specific
instructions (I was afraid that I needed a reservation and couldn't get on another
train). I will report back as soon as I finish the purchase.....I am so grateful. Johanna
Old May 23rd, 2012, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

Dear Cowboy 68. Success! Thank you so much. I don't think that
I would have know exactly what to do without your instructions. Do you live
in Germany? I am overwhelmed by the "Fodorites" who are so generous with
their time and experience to help travelers like me. Many thanks....now, I
just have to finish packing so that my suitcase is light enough for me to carry on
and off the train....A million thanks. Johanna
Old May 23rd, 2012, 10:53 PM

No big deal, I live in Munich
With the many options for tickets, discounts, connections it can be a bit complicated to find the easiest way.
Just one last remark:
The connections you get with the online trip planner do not show all connections but just the ones that work best with your overall itinerary.
When you arrive at Munich airport you should take the next S Bahn to the main station and ask at the information booth in the center of the main hall for the next ICE to Ingolstadt. There are usually 2 per hour, so you don't necessarily have to wait for those a quarter past the hour.
Hope you will like Neuburg.. It's a very nice town, though hardly gets any tourists from abroad.