Regensburg, Landshut or Freising?

Apr 1st, 2008, 09:29 PM
Original Poster

Regensburg, Landshut or Freising?

Hi all,
My husband and I have booked a flight to Paris with two nights in Munich on May 6 and 7 on the way and I just discovered there is a Trade Fair on then, and everything is super expensive. Can anyone recommend any hotels in Regensburg, Landshut or Freising that are close to the station and under 100 euros a night? Which would be the best, taking into consideration that our flight on the 8th is at 8.50am. Also is there a train station right at Munich airport? We don't speak much German (although my husband speaks Afrikaans) will that be a problem?
Apr 1st, 2008, 10:32 PM

Hi karana,

I cannot recommend any specific hotels, but for your purposes I would recommend a hotel in Freising (or Erding), but not in Landshut and definitely not in Regensburg.

If you check www.hrs.de for hotels, you will (hopefully) find a number of off-airport hotels (which usually offer shuttle vans from/to the airport) when you choose Freising (or Munich airport) as location. For your flight to Paris you should check the check-in deadlines according to your airline's terms, but I doubt that you will have to be at the airport more than 1 hour before departure.

Regensburg is a 2hr train ride from Munich (while the town itself is extremely beautiful) - so that might be too much if you plan to spend your time in Munich.

Munich airport has a train station, but only for suburban trains heading downtown. Going to Landshut or Regensburg will require taking a bus from the airport to Freising station, and change there to long-distance/ regional trains.

Since the whole region is used to international guests, you may not run everywhere into people fluent in English, but you should have no major problems.
Apr 2nd, 2008, 12:38 AM

Hi karana,
Cowboys infos were ok.
Freising has a direct connection to the airport very frequently and it takes under 1/2 hour.
Hotels Bayerischer Hof, Gruener Hof or Lerner are in your price range. But I dont know if they still are having vacancies for your travel dates.
The closest place to the airport would be Gasthaus Ramsauer in Neufahrn, just under 10 minutes by commuter train from Neufahrn station. hrs.de is offering it.
Landshut is a very interesting town and doable. The train to the airport (with interchange in Freising) will take under 1 hour. If you start from there around 6.30 am you will be able to catch your flight. hrs has different hotels under 100 Euro on their list. Or check the website of landshut.de.
I would recommend to book a hotel right away.
Apr 2nd, 2008, 07:15 AM

There is a dedicated shuttle bus #635 from the Freising train station to the Munich airport. It takes about 15 minutes, leaves every 20 minutes and costs less that 3 euros per person.

At Freising we liked the Hotel zur Gred. It is an old fashion Gasthof with a decent restaurant rather than a modern hotel. It is on Bahnhof Strasse about 10 minutes from the train station (Bahnhof).

http://www.hotelzurgred.de/

Freising has both Sbahn service and Regional train service to Munich. The Regional train service is less frequent but much faster. You can use the Bayern-Ticket or the Munich Partner Tages-ticket for both.

In Regensburg we liked the Hotel Weidenhof. It is right in the pedestrian zone and an easy walk to the train station. Still you would have to leave at about 4:40 to get to the airport early enough. Regensburg is about 1.5 hours from Munich by train.

Both Freising and Regensburg are very nice stops.

Regards, Gary
Apr 2nd, 2008, 07:33 AM

I forgot to give the website for the Weidenhof in Regenburg:

http://www.hotel-weidenhof.de/

I will also add that we considered Landshut for our departure point last year. We made reservations at the Hotel Restaurant Weihenstephaner Stuben for a good price.

http://www.weihenstephaner-stuben.de/

We emailed this hotel and they informed us that there was a set price of 45 euros for a taxi from Landshut to the airport. I believe that it took about 30 minutes. You can reach the airport from Landshut by train/bus in about 55-65 minutes. Both trains and the shuttle bus run early in the morning.

Landshut is 50 to 65 minutes to Munich by train.

Train and Bus info:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Regards, Gary
Apr 2nd, 2008, 11:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your very helpful information. I never cease to be amazed at how helpful people on this website are. We recently went to Hong Kong on a flying visit and thanks to the information I found here filled every moment and came back with some great photos and wonderful memories and all at bargain basement prices.
Now I will get down to booking a hotel. Thanks again,
Karana