train from Isle of Skye to Edinburgh

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if there is rail service from Portree (Skye) to Edinburgh? If no, what is the closest rail starion to Portree. Thanks in advance for the response.
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 01:24 PM

There is no train on Skye so if you are staying in Portree you will have to travel to Kyle of Lochalsh to take the train to Inverness and then to Edinburgh.
Alternatively take the bus from Portree to Armadale and then the take the Ferry across to Mallaig and there you can get the train to Glasgow and onto Edinburgh. I would say that the latter is my preferred choice but I am sure that others will have different opinions.

All in all a days trip.
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 05:52 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
From your other thread I just assumed you were driving. Are you planning this trip around the highlands by train/buses?? Makes a huge difference what/where we would recommend
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 05:12 AM
kja

Hi, jshirema -

I haven't traveled the route that meks recommends, but the train ride from the Kyle of Lochalsh to Inverness stands out in my mind as one of the most scenic I've ever taken - and the train ride from Inverness to Edinburgh was also memorable.

Hope that helps!
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 08:09 AM

jshirema
The best way to see and travel in Skye is by car however if you are intent on using the train you will have to play around with your travel plans to see what suits you and your mother. Have a look at the timetable / fares on www.thetrainline.com

Generally you have to leave Portree very early (7.30am - 8a.m) to take the bus to Armadale, then catch the ferry to cross over to Mallaig as the only train from Mallaig to Edinburgh
leaves around 10a.m. It travels via Lochailort ( Famous for the Landing of Bonnie Prince Charlie - 1745 rebellion etc) http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...ort/index.html and it also travels over the Glenfinnan Railway Viaduct - famous from the Harry Potter film)
http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...nan/index.html
The fare is just less than £50 but the train takes 6hrs 29 minutes arriving in Edinburgh about 4.30pm.

The other alternative route is to leave Portree just after 10a.m to travel by bus to Kyle of Lochalsh and then take the train to Inverness before changing there to take the Inverness - Edinburgh train. The journey from Kyle of Lochalsh to Edinburgh is 6hrs 11 minutes and the cheapest fare is £55 with the regular fare being £72.

As you will have your mother with you it would be cheaper and should be quicker and easier (depending on how you feel about driving that distance) to use the hire car you had intended starting off with from Edinburgh.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again everyone for the sage advice. Yes it is true that Grandma and I will be renting a car which we will use for the majority of our stay. However, It sounds like the trip from Skye to Edinburgh may be a long/arduous one. Moreover, I thought seeing some of Scotland by rail may be a nice touch. My thoughts were to drop the car somewhere in the Highlands and take the train South. This may not be feasible or smart for that matter.