Glasgow to Edinburgh

May 18th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Glasgow to Edinburgh

I have business in Edinburgh in June and want to take my husband with me. If we drive to Toronto, we can get a much better fare to Glasgow and then take the train.
My questions are this:
how long to clear international customs in Glasgow? I've read elsewhere on this site that you don't need reservations on the train, but we arrive on a Sunday so I'd like to get a sense of schedules and distance from the airport to the train station.
My other option is to fly through London directly to Edinburgh. I know we'd rather fly to Edinburgh, but the adventurer in me would like the opportunity to see a bit of countryside by train, and maybe we'll even stay in Glasgow for our last day.
Thoughts? I need to book this weekend.
Thanks!
May 18th, 2007, 02:48 PM

I'd probably fly into Glasgow - just to be sure, you do mean Glasgow and not Prestwick, right?

You can take the bus to Queen Street Station and then an easy train ride to Waverly station in the center of Edinburgh.

(if it is Prestwick - it is still easy - train to Glasgow Central, walk or taxi to Queen Street, train to Edinburgh)
May 18th, 2007, 04:06 PM
nbujic

Glasgow is a good spot to visit for 2 days. You can take a bus or train to Edin.

May 18th, 2007, 05:36 PM

Glasgow airport is easy to get around and it is a quick journey to Edinburgh. The train will take you to the heart of the city.
May 20th, 2007, 09:45 AM

It seems to me that I remember a bus from Glasgow to Edinburgh or reverse for 2.80 pounds with return. It was an advertisement on the side of the bus and I was driving a car that cost me -in gas - about 10 pounds to drive it, not counting parking. Should have taken the bus, in hindsight.
May 20th, 2007, 10:08 AM

Forget the train. The train trip from Glasgow to Edinburgh passes through some very dull and,shall we say,unpleasant countryside. There is a bus from Glasgow airport to the bus station in central Glasgow about every 15 minutes. The cost is minimal. The bus to Edinburgh is about 50 feet away. Just go into the ticket office, purchase your tickets for about £3 each and get on the bus. The trip takes about 50 minutes and the bus station in Edinburgh is very central also. Avoid going to Heathrow at all costs. It is a nightmare. Glasgow airport is a breeze by comparison.