train-Florence to Rome

Search

train-Florence to Rome

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2006, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
train-Florence to Rome

Should I buy train tickets from US before we leave? We're just doing a point to point ticket from Florence to Rome. We'll be on the ES which requires reservations but I've heard tickets can be cheaper when bought in Italy. I just don't want to be without a seat. We'll be travelling on Friday, Jan. 8th. The information I get on www.trenitalia.com is good, but limited.
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 09:25 AM

No just buy them at the airport train station in Rome upon arrival - you'll get a reservation along with the tickets. there are about two trains an hour between Florence and Rome - absoultely no problem in my experience getting on one of them. To buy in US would be a whole lot more expensive. That said some folks desired having a ticket and reservation in hand and don't want to deal with it in Italy - in that case call BETS (800-441-2387) who are experts - they work thru RailEurope so have RE prices. But having it in hand can be priceless for peace of mind - though IMO you can easily buy these upon arrival.
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 09:33 AM

RailEurope would charge $52 Rome-Florence on Eurostar (fastest) trains including the seat reservation, plus a $15 per order reservation fee and a $15-20 mailing fee - BETS i think charges a lesser mail fee. So for two people thru RE or BETS you're looking at 2x52 or $104 for the tickets plus $15 booking fee for the order and a $10 or so mailing fee (more if thru RE) so about $125 for the two tickets, which you would have in hand and only have to board the train.
Check the trenitalia.com site and see what your savings are, which probably would be substantial.
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Bob. I also saw the $52 each on Trenitalia. I can wait to purchase til we get there, especially if the trains usually aren't sold out. Do you think the trenitalia website prices would be the same as at the station in Florence?
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 09:51 AM

For walk up tickets, that is full fare tickets yes.

www.trenitalia.com does have some discounted online fares but on a journey so short it may not be worth the extreme hassle that site seems to present when trying to book them - plus these fares often evaporate when they come on the system 90 days out.

Just buy all your tickets at once at the Rome Airport - should be exact same price you now see on trenitalia.com
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 09:53 AM

PS Trenitalia web site has fares in Euros and not $ - the $52 is a RailEurope price that may have come from some link on trenitalia.com but you want the prices in euros to see what the price will be at the stations or airport (you can book from any station in Italy - you don't have to be in Florence to buy a ticket from there.
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 07:01 AM
ira

Hi 11,

>Do you think the trenitalia website prices would be the same as at the station in Florence? <

They are exactly the same.

Since they don't discount the Florence/Rome route, buy your tickets by the most convenient method.

Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 07:41 AM

Walk-up is also more advisable, in case you show up at the train station and learn that certain trains are delayed while others are available.
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 11:01 AM

I bought my Eurostar tickets (Rome-Florence return) at a travel agent in Rome 2 or 3 days before the journey. They were the same price I'd been quoted on the trenitalia website the week before. 29 euros a head 2nd class each way. It was nice to know that we had our seats reserved.
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 12:34 PM
ira

Hi J,

>I bought my Eurostar tickets ... It was nice to know that we had our seats reserved.<

FYI, all ES* trains aree reserved seats only. If you have a ticket, you have a seat.