Search

RailEurope.com

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2004, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RailEurope.com

I will be taking the train from Rome to Florence and then on to Venice in May 2004. I have been to the RailEurope web-site to check the times and costs for the Eurostar. Should I buy the tickets now from the USA or should I wait untill I am in Italy to buy the Eurostar tickets? From what I have read it seems like a lot of people buy there tickets in Italy at a AMEX travel agent. If I wait and buy them once I am in Italy is there a chance that all of the trains will be sold out and I will not be able to get to my next destination?
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 12:32 PM
cathyb

Lori03

My son travelled extensively throughout Italy in June and July last year without any rail bookings at all. There are regular trains from Rome to Florence - go to the Italian Railway site www.trenitalia.com/home/en. The website will give you the timetables and fares. Like you, I had booked Eurail tickets, paid for reservations, etc. only to find I did not really need them. You can just buy your tickets at the station, just like you were at home.

Old Feb 6th, 2004, 12:42 PM

RailEurope will be more expensive than purchasing your tickets in Italy. Are you planning to visit Rome before moving on to Florence? If so, you should be able to get tickets a day or two before you need them. In May, I don't believe you'll have any problems getting trains. Your routes are major routes, and there are a variety of trains all day long (probably many more than what are shown on the RailEurope website).

Have you visited the Trenitalia website: http://www.trenitalia.it/home/en/index.htm
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 04:04 PM
JonJon

I often use RailEurope but in your case I would definitely wait to buy the tickets after arrival. And you do not need to go to a travel agent if you don't want to...you can also buy them...all the tickets...at the train station ahead of time. It will be cheaper to do since you'll save money on shipping costs and seat reservation charges. I would NOT wait until the day of travel to do the ticket purchases. Buying "ahead" will give you a better chance of getting the train times that you want and a better seat selection, too.

Old Feb 6th, 2004, 04:52 PM
ira

Hi lori,

If you take the Leonardo da Vinci shuttle from FCO to Rome, you can buy all of the tickets you will need at one time at the train station at the airport.
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 05:52 PM

I am in the same boat. I will be arriving Rome on a Friday, and will need to purchase tickets to Florence for Sunday (April 25). Is that enough time in advance to get a seat?

Also, what would be the most cost effective way to get to center of Rome to my hotel? Can I take train to Termini with my luggage?

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

I will be arriving in Rome on a Tuesday afternoon and will be taking the Eurostar train to Florence on that Saturday. When I get to Rome where should I go to purchase my ticket for the train? When I do purchase the ticket should I alspo purchase the reservation at the same time? Once I am in Florence will there also be somewhere that I can buy a ticket for my train ride to Venice?
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 08:41 PM
Original Poster

I just looked on the the trenitalia website and I found the schedule but I am unsure of what the cost is. Once I picked the train a page came up with two different rates at each side of the page. There is a tab at the top that says "calculate fare" but it will not let me click on that tab. How can I find out what the cost is for Rome to Florence Eurostar?
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 08:57 PM
yk

Lori-

On Trenitalia's website, the price on left hand side is price for 1st class (42,35€ and right hand side is 2nd class (29,44&euro.

In Rome, you can buy your ticket at Termini station (but usually a long line), or from any travel agency. I bought mine from AMEX since it is conveniently located next to the Spanish Steps. When you buy your ticket for ES, the ticket will automatically has your seat reservation. It would be wise if you print out the train schedule with you at home and bring it with you to show the agent which train you want.

If you know which day and time you want to take the train from Florence to Venice, you can buy that ticket at the same time in Rome.

jmb67-

I doubt you won't be able to get a seat for that weekend in April. Italy usually doesn't get too crowded until the summer. You should be able to buy your ticket when you get in to Rome.

From Rome airport(FCO), take the Leonardo Express train which will take you directly to Rome Termini. I believe it is 9,50€. It is a good long walk (5-7mins) from the platform where the train stops to the exit of Termini. As long as you don't have lots of luggage you will be fine. I am quite sure there are ramps for rolling suitcases except getting on/off the train.
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 09:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Although I always get seat reservations in advance out of total fear of not getting seats together on the train I want, I agree that you shouldn't have a problem waiting until you arrive.

In May, especially, it should not be a problem. The only time I would suggest getting advance reservations is for sleeping compartments on overnight trains because, especially in summer, they sell out quickly.
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 01:15 AM

RailEurope.com provides a great service for insecure travelers who don't wish to deal with customer service counters or self-service kiosks in foreign train stations or those who fear "sold out" will be a possibility (not likely).

The truth is (like many have already said), purchasing your tickets abroad is far more cost effective and if you buy them at least one day in advance, chances are "sold out" will never occur. The only down side is taking the time and dealing with the hassle of buying them there.

I fully understand why some people pay much more for convenience and peace of mind. Sometimes, I'm one of those people.

Old Feb 7th, 2004, 04:22 AM
ira

Hi folks,

PLEASE read this

Let me repeat what I said earlier, please:

You can buy all of the tickets you need at the train station at FCO when you buy your ticket from FCO to Rome TE via the Leaonardo da Vinci Express.

Yes, you can bring your luggage with you on the train.
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 06:08 AM

Thanks everyone! Sorry for sounding so "panicky" about small things. Don't know why, but I guess it's because it will be the first time traveling alone in Italy.