Train tickets in Genoa or Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2005, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are traveling from April 22 to 29. I will purchase our Genoa to Rome tickets on line. Should I get the rest of our tickets at the Genoa or Rome station? Or is it easier to get them from a travel agent if I can find one.

Do all tickets need to be purchased 3 hours in advance? Has anyone been to the main Genoa station? Will it be confusing to find the tracks for the train in Genova Piazza Principe station. Thanks Marge
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Sorry I didn't know this got posted yesterday. Marge
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 06:58 AM
GAC

marge:

1. The "3-hour" rule for seat reservations on Trenitalia Intercity (IC) trains is "out the door". It is now possible to book seats as late as a couple of minutes prior to train departure from your city of boarding. This is a very significant change (I've explained it elsewhere on this site).

2. Purchasing Trenitalia tickets online for long distance route (e.g. Genoa to Rome) is particularly useful if you're aiming to lock into one of the promotional discount rates, such as Sabato di Trenitalia.com, or the new "Eurostar a 29/39 Euro" valid through April 30, 2005 (described elsewhere on this site). If you're not in the running for one of these discount rates, there is less incentive to book online in advance.

2. Between Genoa and Rome, most of the direct trains are IC and ICplus trains, and they take 5.5 hours. There is one Eurostar Italia (ES) train, but at inconvenient hours. Travel time on the ES is only very slightly faster. The Trenitalia website now distinguishes the IC from the ICplus trains, in case this is of signficance to you.

3. I cannot answer the question "should I get the rest of our tickets at the Genoa or Rome station? without knowing the rest of your itinerary, and whether you're aiming to lock into the discount rates. It's usually very easy to buy rail tickets at the last moment (or perhaps a day beforehand) directly at Italian rail stations or from local travel agents. My own preference is NOT to unduly restrict my travel flexibility by booking in advance, unless there is a real financial benefit to doing so.

4. You should not have any problem identifying your departing train at the Genova Piazza Principe Station. Nevertheless, sometimes there is a last-moment track change announced over the loudspeakers, which many travellers ignore or cannot audibly hear. Keep this in mind when you arrive at the station.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

GAC - so glad to hear from you. Thanks for the up date on the 3 hrs.

It looks like I can use the Eurostar a 29/39 Euro special for 2 of our trips. I looked at the train site and don't see anything about the 60 days. I guess that's waived for this special.

Here is our trip.

19 Apr Genoa to Rome IC at 10:52 am
22 Apr Rome to Florence ES at 6:30 am
27 Apr Florence to Venice ES at 8:39 am
29 Apr Venice to Trento IC at 10:51 am

The above are dates in stone and the best time for us. Have I missed anything. I looks like I should book the two ES's today. Marge
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 01:39 PM
ira

Hi marge,

You can't buy tickets online more than 60 days in advance.

Old Jan 18th, 2005, 01:42 PM
GAC

marge:

You can't get the 29 Euro discounted rate more than 59 days in advance. The Trenitalia website won't allow you to purchase on line more than 59 days in advance.

Once you are within the 59-day advance purchase period, I would still not jump at purchasing these ES tickets, for the following reasons:

1. Rome to Florence ES costs 29.44 Euros in second class, so you're really only getting a free "upgrade" to first class with the promotional rate, and the trip is only 95 minutes! Service is so frequent, that you certainly don't need to lock in so much in advance, if at all! Furthermore, the 6:30 a.m. train from Rome to Florence won't be half full!

2. Florence to Venice ES costs 26.60 Euros in second class, so you'll actually save money by NOT getting the promotional fare, unless you're keen on travelling in first class, in which case you're really only getting a (nearly) free upgrade! Buy a couple of days in advance to assure space on the early morning ES train.

BTW, the IC train from Venice to Trento at 10:52 requires a change of trains in Verona: from IC to Regionale (R), with only 8 minutes of connection time.

Old Jan 18th, 2005, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again. After I posted and tried to buy I did see in another spot the 60 days. You both are sure making me feel more comfortable about this train thing.

I will buy on-line for Genoa to Rome ticket just to make sure we get a ticket and seat.

GAC - We had planned on 2nd class to Venice so I guess I don't need that one.

Thanks on the heads up on the change of trains. I didn't realize that. Do you think with luggage (one each) we can make it in 8 min? If we miss it in Verona can we get on the next train without cost? Marge
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 02:45 PM
GAC

Marge: if you miss the train connection in Verona (Venice to Trento), the NEXT train out of Verona is a Eurocity (EC) which is more expensive than the Regionale (R). You will need to go to the ticket windows at the Verona Station and "regularize" ("regolarizzare&quot the ticket by paying a small supplement for the EC train. If you don't do this, and simply board the EC train in Verona, you'll be fined 8 Euros per ticket, and still need to pay the difference in fare (2.99 Euros) between Verona and Trento. I personally witnessed this happen to a passenger who was connecting in Verona from Milan, and boarded an EC train for Trento after he missed the Regionale train, because his inbound train from Milan arrived late. His ticket from Milan contemplated use of a Regionale train between Verona and Trento, rather than an EC train.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

GAC: Maybe we'll take the 10:22 that will give us 10 min in Verona. Thanks again.