ROME - VIA VENETTO HOTEL

Search

ROME - VIA VENETTO HOTEL

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ROME - VIA VENETTO HOTEL

I am searching for a hotel in Rome in the Via Venetto area near the Spanish Steps that is clean and comfortable. We will be there for 3 nights - but want something that is not overly expensive - no more than $200 USD per night. Something that might be comparable to a Courtyard Marriott would be sufficient. This is our Honeymoon too!
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 10:02 AM

I don't think you really want to be on the Via Veneto; it has absolutely nothing to offer except high-priced cafes and shops.

In the Spanish Steps area, the Hotel San Carlo is frequently suggested on this board.

You can check out prices on the hotel discount sites, but often calling the hotel directly will get you the best price. If you mention that it's your honeymoon, they might make you a special offer.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 10:18 AM

ALso consider the Navona/PAntheon area. I also am not crazy about the via veneto location.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 12:57 PM

If you feel the need to be close the via venento, I read really good reviews about Hotel Italia near republica (for reviews see tripadvisor.com) The rates are 120 E/night. It was my second choices for a hotel.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 01:08 PM

I hate to tell you this, but the Hotel Italia on Via Venezia (off Via Nazionale near Piazza della Repubblica) is nowhere near the Via Veneto.

And believe me, you do not want to stay off Via Nazionale on your honeymoon; it has to be one of the most boring and least atmospheric streets in a city that is full of interesting and romantic streets.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 01:47 PM

Also, it is highly unlikely that there will be anything comparable to a Courtyard by Marriott in any central part of Rome.

The nicest hotels in the Via Veneto area can be hugely expensive, but there are a lot of hotels in that area.

Why the via Veneto? Spanish Steps would probably be more fun for you. In your price range, you can try the San Carlo, the Piazza di Spagna, and the Piccolo Piazza di Spagna. I guess I would probably go with the San Carlo if I wanted to be near the Spanish Steps.

Also do a search on venere.com and Romeby.com for the areas you are interested in. When you come up with some choices, you can post here for feedback, and check out user ratings on tripadvisor.com and right here on Fodors.com

But do read a lot about hotels in Rome in some good guidebooks and search this forum for general remarks on Rome hotels. Rooms are small, buildings are ancient, prices are high. There is nothing, anywhere, that is remotely like a Courtyard by Marriott.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 01:51 PM

The via Veneto area is also quite expensive for a decent place.

I've stayed at the San Carlo 4 times, and can give it my highest recommendation. E-mail or fax them and let Alberto or Victoria know it's your honeymoon and you'd like a room with a balcony; maybe overlooking via Belsiana. They're very nice there and will help you out.

Best wishes on your marriage and your honeymoon planning,
BC
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 02:38 PM

I stayed near Piazza Barberini at the bottom of the Via Veneto and found this area very convenient and pleasant, and walked pretty well everywhere in the historical center and took the metro to the Vatican. I stayed at Hotel Julia, which might be in your price range. It was about 5 minutes to Trevi, 10 to the Spanish steps, about 15 to the Pantheon, and 25 to Piazza Navona, 20 minutes to Villa Borghese - however, I have to say I hardly noticed these estimated times, because the walks were so interesting. I also walked over to Via Nazionale when I went at various times to Santa Susanna and to St. Pauls within the walls churches, and these seemed like a quick walk too (or they would have been one stop on the metro).

I was very happy with this hotel, but read the reviews here, on Venere and TripAdvisor. Keep in mind your room is likely to be very small. The hotel does have a honeymoon discount, I believe.

If you really want a room like the Courtyard Marriott and want to keep prices down, and don't mind a further commute (I certainly would, though) try one of the Holiday Inns on the outskirts (I think one is called San Giovanni). Or possibly one of the Tulip Inns might work. I haven't stayed at those, but I think these are newer construction and more modern.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 04:38 PM

Why in the world go to europe to stay in a Marriott Caourtyard? If you don;t want quaint, charming and ancient (be prepared for uneven floors, eccentric room sizes and shapes - and perhaps a peeling outside (due to the Italian tax system) why go to italy at all? You'll be missing the whole point of the experience - the differences.