Train Connections from Montelimar, France to Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a trip to southern France for next June/July, and am trying to figure out where I should plan on dropping off my rental car before booking a hotel. I plan on a hotel around Montelimar, probably, so it would be better to go to Paris from there than having to drive up to Valence for that.

I think I read someone on here who said there were no more TGV connections from Montelimar with the new TGV MED line, however, the SNCF web site lists a couple TGV trains from Montelimar each day that are listed as direct trains without transfers at Valence or Lyon.

Has anyone taken a TGV to Paris from Montelimar who can verify that, or know more about this? I was wondering if they just have two TGV line possibilities now, and maybe the one from Montelimar isn't quite as fast or something (but that doesn't bother me). It would just be more convenient to get the train there, and I also would rather not transfer (if I do that, might as well just drive to Valence).

The TGV from Montelimar direct to Paris takes about one hour longer than the TGV direct from Valence. That seems a bit long for that distance, so I am thinking maybe it's a slower TGV.

Also, does anyone know if it's fairly easy to drop off a car rental near the Montelimar station, and if they only have one train station for both regular and TGV trains?
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 10:06 AM

We used regularly to take the TGV from Paris to Montélimar, hop off the train, and pick up a rental car from one of the agencies just across the street from the train station. I know that for at least a time the TGV stop was eliminated but have no information about whether it's been reinstated with the new line. I sure hope so! But if not, you can take the TGV to Valence and then a local train on to Montélimar, which isn't a very long trip.

So far as I know, there is still only one train station in Montélimar. BTW, I hope you save some time to visit that small city; it's very nice.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 10:10 AM

A quick look at Die Bahn reveals that there are straight through trains that take under 3 hours or connections at Lyon or Avignon that require one hour longer or more.

The straight-through departures are at

9h30
13h12
18h27

All three stop at Valence Ville, the first two at Lyon-StEx as well.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 10:12 AM

If I'm reading the SNCF site correctly, there are 3 daily TGV trains from Montélimar to Paris, but all 3 make a stop either in Valence or one of the 2 stations in Lyons. But it doesn't look as though a transfer is required--however, with SNCF it's always a good idea to make a specific inquiry, as I'm sure you know.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

thanks, that is basically what I found on SNCF, although I don't think the simple ticket information indicated if there were stops or not between Montelimar and Paris. I don't care if there are stops, I just don't want to have to transfer, if I can avoid it.

I would be going from Montelimar TO Paris, not the other way.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 11:41 AM

TGV trains DIRECT to Paris depart Montélimar at

9h30
13h12
18h27

These DIRECT trains make 1 or 2 stops, at Lyon, Valence, or both. DIRECT means you do not change trains.

ALL OTHER TGV trains from Montélimar to Paris require a change of trains in Lyon, Avignon, or both. In other words, they are NOT DIRECT.