Town to stay in last night by Shannon

Jun 24th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Town to stay in last night by Shannon

Our flight back to the states is at 11:45 a.m. And we have to return the car. Should we stay in Ennis which looks like it's 30 minutes away or does someone have another suggestion? And do you have a suggestion for a bed and breakfast as well? Thank you!
Jun 25th, 2009, 02:35 AM

It's not fancy, but we stayed in the Travelodge in Limerick last week and it made the journey to Shannon easy. It is the older one on the west side of town on Ennis Road. They may even have some 19E rooms, if you catch a sale. They are about 30 minutes or less from the airport and there is virtually no traffic from there out of Limerick.

Rick
Jun 25th, 2009, 03:02 AM

It's been three years now, but we liked Grey Gables in Ennis:

http://www.bed-n-breakfast-ireland.com/

It's walking distance from the city centre and the breakfast was good.

Ennis makes a good last night destination as it has pubs that have music pretty much every night and plenty of places to eat.

Again, it's been three years, but it seems to me it took us less than 30 minutes to get to Shannon. More like 20.

Whatever you decide, have fun!
Jun 25th, 2009, 03:07 AM

Ennis would be fine. Shannon is a small airport and you don't need to check in there as early as you would in Dublin. Newmarket-on-Fergus is closer to the airport if you want to stay in a much smaller town, but Ennis has more lodging and trad music options.
Jun 25th, 2009, 04:36 AM

In my opinion, there is no better place that Bunratty. Bunratty Lodge is a great B & B and Mary is a great host. From Bunratty Lodge's front door to Shannon Airport is about 10 - 15 minutes straight down the road in front of the B & B. Plenty to do in Bunratty also, pubs, shopping, castle, medival banquet at the castle, Folk Park, Hertiage Center, etc. The is a very nice restraurant also called "The Red Door".
Jun 25th, 2009, 12:18 PM

I can also recommend Bunratty and Bunratty Lodge for the reasons above. We especially enjoyed the Folk Park.
Jun 25th, 2009, 12:46 PM

Ennis also worked well for us. I think Cruise's pub has music every night. It took us about 30 minutes to get to the airport, maybe a little less.
Jun 26th, 2009, 04:23 AM

We loved Ennis. Also stayed at Grey Gables but didn't love it there. It is a great location though so if you aren't fussy about accommodations, consider it.

I've stayed in both Ennis and Bunratty the nights before departure. Ennis wins hands down.

carolsc