Place to Stay by Shannon Airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hubby and I are traveling to Ireland at the end of the month, flying into Dublin and out of Shannon. Our flight is around 1pm out of Shannon. Where is a nice place to stay the night before (around $150 or less)? Is Limerick far and/or a dangerous place to stay? Any specific places you'd recommend?
Old Jun 9th, 2008, 11:14 AM

Hi Bridegirl:

The two most popular choices to stay are Bunratty and Ennis. I prefer Ennis because it's a real town whereas Bunratty is mainly a bunch of B&Bs with three pubs and the folk park/castle. More made for touism. I wouldn't choose Limerick (nothing to do with safety) because I don't find it terribly interesting and it's not hard to get lost in.

The place I stayed that I liked the most is the Lakeside Country Lodge (http://www.lakeside.ie/). It's a beautiful location and perhaps a 5-10 drive into Ennis.

In Bunratty, the Bunratty Lodge is a great place and although it's been a number of years since I've stayed there, I have no doubt that her service is still exceptional.
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 01:26 AM

I think Limerick City's 'stab city' reputation is a bit overblown. I'm a septuagenarian; if I'm coming from the SW I usually stay in Limerick the night before my flight home. There's some nice shops like Irish Handicrafts in Arthur's Quay shopping mall (They'll give you an on the spot VAT Refund).

If I'm coming down from Galway or Mayo, I'll usually overnight in Ennis.

Either place has good BusEireann connections to the airport, where the upstairs Cafeteria opens at 7:00 AM
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 01:45 AM

NEDSIRELAND wrote: "I think Limerick City's 'stab city' reputation is a bit overblown."

As a matter of fact, it is not. Limerick has the highest rate of serious violent crime of any Irish city. But it is still low compared with many other places, and the crime happens mainly as a power struggle between two local gangs. There is no significant threat to tourists.

I would not dream of avoiding Limerick if I had reason to be there. But I don't think it a very attractive or interesting place, and would not go there for recreational purposes.

I vote for Ennis.
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 04:12 AM

I asked this question a while ago and everyone said Ennis. We ended up finding rooms at the Glenomra.
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 12:34 PM

Hello, just a few things, Bunratty was a thriving village pre famine, and its population fell into decline subsequently.

It earliest record of inhabitants was 970AD - well before tourism had been established as an industry in Ireland.

However, if anyone has been in recent times, there has (for better or worse) been a large increase in private dwellings.

The CSO which releases figures for crime has had varied results for locations and areas over the years,and each year has had different areas highest rates for the various crimes that constitute violent crimes.

Both Ennis and Limerick suffer problems with crime, as do many large towns with growing populations - if crime is an issue, Shannon town has less, but it lacks tourist attractions and a variety of pubs, clubs etc.
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 12:40 PM

ferdia, we had Viking tourists back in the tenth century. Great men for souvenir collecting, but they tended to trash the accommodation.

Crime in Shannon is indeed low, but the town itself is a crime against good taste.
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 02:47 PM

Sorry Padraig, if you feel that the Vikings were tourists, I'm sure you know where you're coming from - and if you know the Shannon area as well as I do along with the island, then perhaps the areas around Clenagh and Rineanna are not quite as attractive as I'd thought- or would you not agree?

(Taste is quite subjective - so will agree to disagee - I wish you well)
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 03:11 PM

Should you decide on Ennis, we were very happy with Grey Gables.

http://www.bed-n-breakfast-ireland.com/
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 03:22 PM

ferdia, I might reply after I manage to pick my jaw up from the floor.
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 03:42 PM

Any time Padraig - if you're ever in the Honk pub, look me up
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 04:44 PM

Bunratty Lodge is ok...I stayed there last July...the little folk park looked interesting in a touristy kind of way and if it hadn't been pouring rain i probably would have went to it....It's about 15 minutes tops to the Airport...a very small international airport with the tightest security I've ever experienced....I did notice one very plain hotel after entering the airport grounds and maybe with a little digging you could come up with the name....but why not enjoy Ireland as long as you can.....and just a reminder the security was very tight...I was there just after the event in Glasgow so that was probably part of it.....Dublin is a fantastic city....have a great time..... JW
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 12:09 PM

I've not found security in Shannon to cause any more delays than anywhere else and MUCH easier than Heathrow.

Although Bunratty must have been gangs of fun 160+ years ago, now it's a bunch of B&Bs as i said before. I personally don't like the folk park that well though the castle is pretty interesting. Bunratty Lodge has won a number of awards, the breakfasts are very good. The only thing that I find to be a downside is that it's in Bunratty. The views are not at all exciting. Headly Court, is run by Mary Browne's (lodge owner) sister. I've stayed at the Park House which is one of the closest B&Bs to the "village". I liked it very much though it may have changed hands since I was there. The Ashgrove also gets good reviews.

The hotel jenwalk mentions is the Great Southern. Not particularly interesting. I would still suggest Ennis over the other options in the area.

Still, Ennis is a real town. Stay there. There are some fine trad music offerings in town.

Bill
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 04:03 AM

Just to make a couple of corrections to the previous post.

The Great southern hotel was sold quite some time ago, and has been the Park Inn ever since.

Bunratty lodge & Headley court are fine properties, but they are not located in Bunratty. They are in Deerpark, Sixmilebridge.

If you do go with Bunratty, there's some really nice restaurants located in the "village" - but a downside is the construction phase of many private dwellings in the "village", which is nearing completion.

Wherever you choose, I hope you have a great time.
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 05:03 AM
cd

Should you change your mind and splurge for that one last night, Dronoland Castle is 15min from the airport and the best place we stayed in Ireland. Very expensive but, as I said, for us it was splurging on that last night!
http://www.dromoland.ie/
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 07:33 AM

Didn't realize Great Southern had changed hands. Drove right by it in 07 and don't remember the change.

No, those two B&Bs are not in the village but a very short drive the village. Mary has always associated herself with Bunratty (thus the name). The drive is only a couple of minutes.

Old Jun 12th, 2008, 07:40 AM

I would forget the stag city thing about limerick ...as a tourist you will see a nce small city and I have been doen there for visits for years and not seen a thing....even in Ted's nightclub! The city is really picked up and lots of rebuilding and growing. I enjoy a night here when I am visiting family in the area. liked the Hotel on the River....? crown plaza or am I wrong?

Ennis though would be my favourite choice as its a real town as opposed to Bunratty which is real but more geared to sightseeing and the castle. Ennis is a working everyday town that I think has a lovely feel and fun at night.

Shannon...Still don't get the place and wonder why people stay there (I did last year and still did not see what the point was!)
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 08:24 AM

"I would forget the stag city" - not sure if I've heard that one before Siobhan, maybe it's used in the Brazen head? (Ted's pub)

There's a few properties on the water front in Limerick, the Clarion & the Hilton, and at the other side of the city, the Absolute - any of these?

Hard to know what say about Shannon, a normal working town?

It's county Clare's second largest town, and about to get a multi - million € face lift - not alot in terms of touristy things to do, but given the boundary is about to move into Clonmoney, it really has extended to Bunratty, making for some balance?

Its proximity to the airport is a comfort for some with early morning flights.