Search

Tours in Athens

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tours in Athens

Hi--- Can anyone recommend a good day tour of Athens? I will have only one day/one night there and would like to make the most of it.

Thanks!
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 08:30 AM

check out http://www.greektravel.com/ - there is a section on Athens.

I was in Athens last week and took a tour through Fantasy Travel. It was OK - only half a day though. Be warned that most of Athens is shut due to reconstruction for the Olympics next year.
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 07:10 AM

I am planning on taking the half day tour through Fantasy Travel this September...was it really not that great? I had been thinking of cancelling it actually....we arrive in Athens in the evening, so that night will be a wash...then the next day is the half day tour, the next day we're doing a full-day tour in Delphi - then the following morning we take off early for Santorini, so that leaves us only with half of a free day in Athens for shopping, exploring, etc. Do you think it is better to just see Athens on our own? I really just want to check out the Parthenon and wander the Plaka a bit. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts - thanks!
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 08:35 PM
brotherleelove2003

For MAS16:

I think it depends on what you want to see. For one thing the streets of Athens are congested and dirty due to all the construction in preparation for the Olympics. Also, the National Archaeological Museum is closed until April 2004 for renovations. Unless you feel the need for a guide to explore every nook and cranny of the city, you can get around very well by yourself using public transportation. Go to the Acropolis, walk around the Parthenon, stroll through the Plaka, maybe do some shopping at Kolonaki Square and ride up the funicular there to the top of the hill. That should take up all the free time you have before you leave for Santorini.

Old Jul 25th, 2003, 12:47 AM

I cannot see the point to taking a tour when there is so much to see by walking around Athens. If you want to explore the Plaka properly a tour bus cannot get anywhere near it anyway and there are so many interesting little stops like the Musical Instrument museum, the Folklore museum etc, besides the obvious ones eg the Acropolis, Agora etc.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 01:01 PM

Many hotels have a brochure of tours available by either CHAT Tours or GO tours. If you feel you would like a motorcoach tour of the city, CHAT or GO had a half day tour of Athens for about 30 euro that will pick you up in the morning at your hotel and return at 1pm, but you could combine it with a 3pm tour of Sounion (where the Temple of Posiedon is) and return at 7pm. Although I never used them, if you only have a day and find it hard to orient yourself, it is a good option to get the most of Athens in a day. I loved Athens and stayed there for a whole week just exploring by foot, but it was lots of walking. If you decide to go it on your own, make use of the Metro. You can get off at "Akropolis" to go to the Parthenon, and walk around Plaka. Other good stops are "Syntagma" for the Parliament, Olympic Stadium, Temple of Zeus & National Gardens, "Panepistimeo" for the University. Metro map: http://www.metropla.net/eu/ath/athens.htm for subway map, and for tour info http://www.frommers.com/destinations...044010019.html
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 12:55 AM

MAS16
The tour with Fantasy travel was fine and cheap. It starts quite early (we had a 8.10 pick up) and finishes midday so you would have plenty of free time in the afternoon and evening.

I honestly have to say that I wish I hadn't bothered going to Athens at all. I also went to Santorini and wish I'd flown direct instead. The islands are much more interesting.