Search

Hop On/Hop Off Buses in Athens

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2014, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hop On/Hop Off Buses in Athens

Hi Everyone,

We're a group of 6 going to Greece the first of October for 18 days. I'm trying to decide how much time should we spend in Athens before heading to Santorini and the Peloponnese area as well as should we tour Athens at the top of the trip or at the end. We don't want to be rushed at the end of the trip...would rather chill out prior to the flight home to Texas, but just not sure how hectic it is in regard to getting around in Athens.

I was curious if the hop on/hop off buses are beneficial in Athens. Does it really help in getting around to familiarize yourself in the city and surrounding areas or is it just as good walking around to see everything? We could also utilize the metrorail during our stay, not sure which is more helpful. From reading, it sounds like the main attractions/sites/museums to see in the center of town are within walking distance.

Some of the places we'd like to visit is the Acropolis, Parthenon, Temple of Zues, Royal Palace, and Temple of Poseidon. I'm sure there are other places to visit, but these are the definite choices for now. If time permits we can add some while we are there.

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 06:26 AM

I think 3 full days in Athens would be enough to see the highlights, even though the more time you spend, the more there is to see.

Being Athenian i have never used the hop on hop off bus, but i did use it in other European cities and i must confess that it was not my thing.
Here is a link to a company that offers tours with hop on/off busses : http://www.sightsofathens.gr

There are other companies offering tour of Athens with a tour guide, and they are much better and informative.
A few names to google : Key Tours, G.O Tours, Chat Tours

There is one more option as people often express their interest about the local culture.... Contact a local, according to your interests, and have him/her show you around.
There is a website where you can contact local volunteers that are interested in showing theur city to visitors, this is a free service.

http://www.dopios.com/about#about

You mentioned some places that you would like to visit.
The Acropolis and the Parthenon are both at the same place. the Temple of Zeus only a few meters away,and the New Acropolis Museum just across the entrance to the Acropolis.
There is no Royal Palace in Athens, i assume that you mean the Parliament, which is within walking distance ( or 1 stop from the Acropolis with the red metro line)

The Temple of Poseidon is located in Sounion, about 70 km south of Athens, and can be visited either with a rental car, or as a guided tour.

Further to the places you mentioned some more places to explore are : the Plaka ( one of the oldest parts of Athens) Anafiotika ( a neighbourhood located at the hill of the Acropolis that looks like a cycladic village) and Monastiraki/Thission, all located in the center and really close to eachother.
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 06:28 AM

Everything you want to see in Athens is pretty compact. I don't think the hop on hop off buses are necessary. I would though consider getting a tour guide to tour the parthenon and acropolis just to explain what things were since they are ruins.
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

clausar....Thanks for the tip on the HOHO and the information on the local volunteers because we are definitely interested in the local culture. Yes I believe I'm speaking about The Parliament....is that where they switch the guards...I've heard it called the Royal Palace, but you know I've been reading a lot so no telling how my eyes are doing right about now.

Would you suggest we tour around Plaka and Athens at the top or the end of the trip? Is that relaxing enough?

williamscb13...I will definitely be getting a tour guide for the Parthenon and acropolis.

Thanks again!
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 08:28 AM

Makeithappen

You have two identical threads for the Hop on/off busses.
You may want to ask the admins to delete one of the two.

The Parliament was used in the past as a Royal Palace, and it is interesting to see the change of the Guards.
Remember not to ask for the Royal Palace while in Greece, as most people will have no clue what it is.....

Seing Athens can be relaxing if you have enough time at disposal and you don't rush from site to site....
I would personally save Athens for the end of your trip, after coming back from the islands, as a buffer zone in case of any unforeseen delays of ships.planes etc.
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 08:29 AM

We had 3 full days , 4 nights in Athens and say it's of what we wanted to see. We went on a full day walking your with this company and it was great, would highly recommend

http://www.athenswalkingtours.gr

Athens is very compact so I wouldn't bother with the HOHO buses - they get stuck in traffic.

I would put it at the end of the trip so you don't need to worry about missing your connection home from an island.
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 09:07 AM

Yes, conventional wisdom says put Athens at the end of your trip so you have some buffer if delayed by strikes, weather, whatever.
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

A big thanks to everyone!