Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Half-Day Athens Tours - Walking or By Bus

Half-Day Athens Tours - Walking or By Bus

Mar 29th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Original Poster

Half-Day Athens Tours - Walking or By Bus

We'll be in Athens for two days in April. We're interested in taking a half-day tour or two while we are there.

Have you taken a tour of Athens recently? If so, what company did you use? Which of their tours did you go on? Would you recommend it?

Thanks.

Bob and Cheryl
Mar 29th, 2009, 11:32 PM

We did a 1/2 day bus tour of Athens in May 2006. I can't tell you who we organised it through now, sorry. We found it really helpful. We had never travelled to Europe before and were nervous about coping with the unfamiliar Greek language. The tour covered the Olympic site, the Temple of Zeus and a few other landmarks that I can't remember now. It included access to The Parthenon and a guided tour which we found invaluable. It ended up being a bit less than 1/2 a day, but was worth it as we were then confident that we could return to all of the places we saw that morning to explore them at our own pace.

We did decide later on (we are more travelled now) that Athens is easy to find your way around on foot and we would have coped quite easily without the tour. We also booked a car from the airport into the city which we wouldn't bother with now.

I hope you enjoy Athens, I wasn't expecting to find it very interesting at all, but ended up loving it!! Don't miss the National Archaeological Museum, especially the sculpture exhibition which is wonderful.
Mar 29th, 2009, 11:52 PM

We also did a 1/2 day tour 2 years ago, can't remember who we booked with, but the tour guide was boring. It was a big tour company. Its easy to get around Athens, stay in the Plaka and walk everywhere. The Acropolis is right beside you. Walk up to the Acropolis, and with a good tour guide, walk down through the Agora. This website I have found, is fantastic re: information. Don't buy yourself a travel book, this website is hundreds of times better. http://www.planetware.com/top-touris...gr-ath-ath.htm. Another place to go is the market. Again walking distance from the Plaka, but go in the morning. Its great, and free in Athinas Street. Athens is a small city, easy to get around for instance the market is 20 mins walk from Syntagma Sq. Catch the bus from the airport - cheap and easy. Walk everywhere or catch the train. Don't go to the Olympic stadium - yawn. Who wants to see a closed off stadium? Also we found Arch of Hadrian not worth the visit, although it is just opposite the Acropolis. Unfortunately the Greeks don't respect their ancient ruins and you will constantly come across amazing ruins, or mosaics, just left to decay or covered in grafitti. I have no idea what the Government does with all the tourist dollars, but not much is spent on ancient sites. Having said that, Athens is a lovely city, and we're going back in September, for only 3 days, which will be enough.
Mar 30th, 2009, 07:22 AM

CHAT tours has gotten several high marks on this board.

www.chatours.gr
Feb 20th, 2010, 01:02 PM

Hi, Great advice. We are going this August. Can you help me with two questions? First, any safe, reliable way to get from the pier to the Acropolis? Is the Acropolis a good starting point and is everything in walking distance from there?
Thanks
ken
Feb 20th, 2010, 01:35 PM

A taxi is best but be sure the meter is running and is set to the day rate setting (#1). Just below the Acropolis is the Plaka District, Monastiraki Square and Syntagma Square for the Metro Stations, the Flea Market, Central Market, Parliament Building for the changing of the guard.

Search this Thread