Tourist Maps Online

Old Sep 8th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tourist Maps Online

I asked this question over a yer ago and no one had an answer, hopefully there exists now: Tourist map, like the ones in all the books (city centre which indicates the 'attractions'), which can be printed from the internet. It is difficult to copy those as the book will not lie flat. And, if it's a two page map, impossible. Thanks
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 08:49 AM

The problem with a piece of folded paper is it lasts abour and hour in MY pocket!

The laminated STREETWISE maps have worked well for us.

~Liz
Old Sep 10th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Hi Liz,

Thanks for your reply however those are HUGE. I like a piece of paper that I can fold in 4ths. Also, they do not carry the cities/towns I need: Caen, Honfleur, Dinan, Giverny & St Malo in France. I am now thinking about go to Half Price Books and purchasing a France book like the one I have, then tear out the pages I need to take. I'm a very petite female and just can't take an entire book w/ me...my luggage is heavy enough!
Old Sep 10th, 2010, 11:43 AM

Most of the time we just tear out the pages we need instead of taking the whole book if we are not going to all the places in the book, but we usually take the Streetwise Maps also.
Old Sep 10th, 2010, 12:58 PM

You can print maps from GoogleMaps, street view. Zoom in and out for more/less detail. The major tourist attractions and other places are shown. (I download them to my smartphone.)

For most places, you can find a map you can print, often pdf brochure that includes map, with simple web searches.

Here's one for Giverny

http://www.vernon-visite.org/rgb1/access4.htm
Old Sep 10th, 2010, 02:50 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
I photocopy the pages of my guidebooks that I want to take with me... it allows me to keep my books in tact. And, when finished with a particular city/town, I toss the photocopy. So, I come home with no paper.
Old Sep 10th, 2010, 04:00 PM

You can find the exact maps you want in any hotel of any city you visit - but they are not on the internet. Can you wait until you arrive at your various destinations??
Old Sep 10th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

djkbooks, That's exactly what I am looking for. What I call 'tourist maps'. Thanks. I have to tell you tho, it's not been that simple. At least not for these smaller cities. If you know of any others, please reply.

bardo1, Yes that is true however in some towns we will have a short time so I wanted to be prepared so that we can drive, park and start walking around w/o finding a map once there.

Thank you all.
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 01:45 PM

If you have time, try searching in the website for each town. Often, there will be a map, interactive or .pdf, that you can snip, copy or print out.
Example:
http://www.tourisme.caen.fr/img/prat...res/planOT.pdf

Another tip is to troll Google Images for "Caen map", "Caen plan", etc. and see if you can find an image of a tourist map.
Example:
http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&e...w=1098&bih=703