COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Road map for driving in France

Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Road map for driving in France

Can anybody reccomend a good map for road travel in France? Any favorites that are very clear for driving instructions.
Thanks,
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 05:00 PM

The big yellow Michelin book of maps is detailed and accurate. In July, we (family of 4)drove between the Loire Valley and the Dordogne and back again. Also, I used Mappy and the Michelin sites to get specific directions for particular trips I knew we would take. Each has a slightly different format. Which you prefer will probably depend on your own cognitive style. I think I like Michelin better, but sometimes it is not as detailed as Mappy. Many opinions on this topic!
My reason for supplementing the map is that routes which appear to be direct may be very slow, traffic-wise. I got some very good advice about routes on this board.
Good luck to you. I found driving in France to be fairly easy, so long as there is a navigator and you don't drive in Paris.
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 05:01 PM
epi

The michelin maps are wonderful. Check the back of any michelin map of France to see what section you need. Note that they come in different sizes i.e. they cover smaller or bigger areas. Look at both sizes to see what you need. I have gotten some that are so detailed, and cover such a small area, that in one day I have gone through 3 maps. The detailed maps include almost all roads, and make it (almost) impossible to get lost. I think you should be able to find these in most big book stores like Barnes and Noble. I get them at a wonderful store in our area that has just about every map and travel book printed, but that won't help you unless you live in greater Boston.
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 05:44 PM

We use the big yellow Michelin book of maps, as they are easier to manage than the individual regional maps, which we also have. The individual maps are huge, hard to deal with in the little cars. However, I recently saw a little Michelin book of maps, much lighter weight, although not as much detail as the big yellow. But smaller and lighter. I think we shall try it next year when we go.
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 06:07 PM

Not sure where we picked up the map I'm going to tell you about (perhaps Hertz counter?) but it was a Bis map. These are routes which are established to assist people getting from northern France into and out of the resort areas throughout the country. Pretty quickly we discovered that if we just followed these green signs which dotted the countryside with the word "Bis" on them (in yellow if I'm not mistaken), we could relax and enjoy the scenery and get where we wanted to go without any thought. It was great. I made myself nuts trying to navigate then I just said Bis left or right or straight and off we went and seldom if ever on busy highwasy.
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 07:32 PM

Does anyone know whether the shops at Paris CDG airport sell the Michelin maps for the southern part of France? We'll have a few hours to spend at the airport before catching a TGV to Avignon in early Sept.
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 10:46 PM

If you've got much driving to do, I'd invest in a spiral bound map book. The big Michelin maps are awkward to use in the car (hard to spread out and fold). Smaller maps are ok for the main toll roads, but gave us grief in the roundabouts (the map shows the 3 main roads exiting the roundabout, but there are really 5 on the ground). Buy it in France, there will be more and better choices.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 04:16 AM

We used the Michelin Tourist and Motoring Atlas for Germany last June. It was excellent. About 9"x12", covering Germany, Benelux, Austria, Switzerland, and the Czech Republic. Accurate, easy to manage, easy to read. There are several, including France.

And, of course, www.viamichelin.com is an excellent mapping wepbsite.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 04:37 AM

It depends on how far you are driving. The big spiral bound maps are good but if you are going to drive around Provence or Normandy for example, the VERY small scale map is just about indespensible. You can fold it for the areas you are travelling. I wouldn't go anywhere without that scale map. Too much to miss!! And with the roundabouts, you must know the DIRECTION (the next town) you are travelling, NOT the route number.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 05:13 PM

Just returned from 30 days driving in France. All we had wad was the wonderful Michelin yellow book. I purchased it at one of the train stations in a Virgin records store in Paris. It worked wonders to find alternate routes when we hit traffic jams. The book cost us around 15 euros. You cant beat that. It's the best!!!!!!
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 05:23 PM

Along with our big spiral bound edition we carry a pocket size spiral bound Michelin "Atlas Routier" which is very handy for major routes.

By the way, I have been having trouble lately to get mappy directions to load all the way.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 06:17 PM

We liked the michelin maps as well and bought them on our way out of Paris at one of the rest areas on the side of the road. They had a whole selection to pick from.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 06:32 PM

The RED Michelin is the best for over all france if dealing with the main roads and cities, but small villages will not be there. For us we also need a YELLOW which are numbered for the different areas. For instance, for Montélimar/Avignon/Digne area you would get the number 81 to see all the vilages and small roads.