Toulouse Day Trips

Old Dec 16th, 2006, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toulouse Day Trips

Hi everyone, my boyfriend is getting the opportunity to travel to Toulouse for work the first two weeks of January and I may be joining him if I can find a good flight deal... which seems unlikely right now. But anyway, if I do go, we would probably just stay in Toulouse and make a few day trips (for the two weekends we could do an overnight somewhere).

Any must do's in the area? Our interests are history and getting to party a bit in the local scene. We are both 23... was in Paris last summer but no where else in France. We also thought maybe weekend trip to Barcelona? Is that reasonable?

Thanks!
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 10:07 PM

Hi

A weekend based in Montpellier could be worthwhile. Good nightlife, and many museums, maybe take the train over to Nimes for roman remains.

You may be lucky and have better weather than in Toulouse, too !

Information about Languedoc : www.the-languedoc-page.com

Peter

Old Dec 17th, 2006, 10:23 PM

Moissac has an important abbey church whose portals are impressive. Montauban has a square of the Place desw Vosges vintage and a Ingres Museum in the former bishop's palace. Albi's church is a must, and it's bishop's palace is now a Toulouse-Lautrec museum.
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 02:46 AM

You could easily visit Carcassonne in a day.
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 04:57 AM

It might fun to check out the possiibility of enjoying the thermal waters in Aix-en-Thermes in the Pyrenees.
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 05:09 AM

Do not forget the great skiing in the Pyrenees, which the people of Toulouse do en masse in winter!
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 05:36 AM

Hi Lizzy:
We have been in Barcelona in the morning and just south of Toulouse by early afternoon so it is a perfectly doable trip for a long weekend if you had one.
there are some lovely areas to visit from Toulouse. Take the drive to Mirepoix and from there seek out some scenic drives around Limoux and Saint Hilaire. Have lunch at the Maison de Blanquette in Limoux and sample some of the fabulous sparkling wines from the area.
There's so much history in this area you will be spoiled for choice. Check out the Cathar history before you leave home then seek out some of their ruined chateaux usually at the top of some hill /mountain etc.
If you want to try some skiing as another poster mentioned drive down to the Pyrenees. At the moment I am in China, half way around the world from my travel books tucked away in my home in Canada so I can't tell you the exact highways/roads to travel on. But drive south from Toulouse through Foix and cross into Spain at Bourg Madame/Puigcerda and drive to Ribes de Freser where you can leave your car. Then take a cogwheel train up into the higher mountains to the Vall de Nuria and stay at the hotel perched up at the top for a weekend getaway and skiing or hiking or walking or just sitting in front of the fireplace and relaxing with a nice Spanish brandy (or two).
There's lots to do around Toulouse. These are only a few of the things I can suggest.
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Those ideas all sound really excellent... looks like I won't be able to find a flight deal plus time off work yet... sigh... but my boyfriend is set to go. Probably will be good for him to experience Europe on his own this time, without the g/f. But I will definitely direct him towards this thread. He probably won't do skiing, but some of those cities look delightful.

I really want to go but the best flights I can find out of CMH/CVG/DAY/DTW in that time period are still $600... and I want to go to Jamaica in May... oh well, I suppose I am only 23 and am saving for a house, so I should probably start practicing some restraint .

Thanks for the suggestions, I am sure the b/f will have a great time! Looks like a magical region!
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 10:46 AM

Albi, Albi, Albi!
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 05:25 AM

Dear Lizzy:

A nice day trip from Toulouse, only a 45 minute drive west, is Auch, the regional capital of the Gers departmente. Auch is famous for the Cathedrale Ste. Marie and its' amazing stained glass and carved wooden figures. At one time, it was home to one of the finest pipe organs in France.

Directly south of Toulouse, about 50 miles on the N20 is Foix, which is home to the Chateau de Foix, an enormous, imposing Chateau with fabulous views over the Ariege River and valley. It was home to Gaston Phoebus, the most famous of the Counts of Foix, (who had the dubious distinction of murdering both his brother and only son). Not far from Foix is the town of Tarascon sur Ariege, home to the Grotte de Niaux. It houses the only original Prehistoric art able to be seen by the public. (Lascaux II in Perigord is a reproduction, albeit an impressive one).

Hope this helps..

Luis
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help. The b/f just found out he will get a car rental (but probably will have to pay for gas over the weekend). Would you suggest driving (if you already have a car) or using the train in this area for weekend travel? He is a good driver but has never driven abroad, but it seems like the outlying areas should not have too much traffic?
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 02:09 PM

I would drive. Not hard to do in France. If you can drive here, you can drive there.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Also... any recommendations for a guidebook for this region? I imagine Lonely Planet France will not have the most in depth info... I am not even sure what this region is called???

Would make a good Christmas gift for the b/f!
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 05:08 PM

The single most useful book I found for the region was the Blue Guide Southwest France. If you can afford two presents and you know he will be renting a car, another book to get would be Drive Around Languedoc and Southwest France.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 05:14 PM

PS: Since he will be there in January, he should not drive by himself into the Pyrenees, where the weather can change quite suddenly. And before heading out to parts unknown anywhere, he should consult with locals about weather reports and road conditions.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 06:11 AM

Dear Lizzy:

Other than a Fodor's guide, you might want to consider using the CADOGAN guide: France or specifically Gascony and the Pyrenees; they publish both. Lots of practical information and well written.

Luis