Torremolinos anyone please?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't read a lot of positive feedback from those that have traveled here. This is our annual girl's only vacation and the first one outside of the country as a group. Is Torremolinos that bad? I think our group can have a good time at an insurance convention! We are hoping the trip will be memorable as well as enjoyable. We have traveled well together for the past 5 years. We are in our late 20's and early 30's. Any ideas for places to eat or visit? I know we will go to the Alhambra and Gibraltar. Is the Mediterranean clear? Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated! We will travel the end of June and we are staying at the Pez Espada. Thanks,
Audrey in NC
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 10:10 AM

It is that bad.
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 11:58 AM

Audrey, I too have heard nothing positive about "Torre". I was planning to drop by for a couple of days on the beach during my May trek through Spain but I'm having serious doubts.
For those familiar with the Costa del Sol, what's a good alternative? Nerja or Marbella maybe?
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 01:07 PM

ttt
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 01:38 PM

I stayed in that same hotel about 8 years ago. I didn't hate Torremelinos as some people seem to. It is very touristy but there are some nice day trips you can take. Gibralter, Rhonda, Mijas, or even go to northern Africa for the day. A group of friends can have fun wherever they go. Have a good time whatever you decide.
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 02:56 PM

It would be such a waste to go all the way to Spain and stay in Torremolinos. This is the No. 1 destination for chav scum from the UK.
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 07:55 PM

Torremolinos is truly ghastly. We spent a half a day there meeting someone about 4 years ago and it is truly awful - tacky, loud and full of drunks (think the street/open door bars on the worst block in New Orleans at 3 in the morning during Mardi Gras). But most importantly - it is nothing like Spain - there's no reason to fly all that way to go to an incredibly tacky english-speaking resort - save the money and go to one here (but I doubt you would find anyplace as awful).

If you do go to Spain suggest landing in Malaga and going to Marbella - actually quite pleasant even though still very busy.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 01:03 AM
Val

The replies you have received already are typical of the snobbery that surrounds Torremolinos, mostly from people who have never actually stayed there.

I have relatives who live just outside and visit regularly for long weekends. In the last few years the resort has had a lot of money spent on it and it really is very nice with flowers and fountains in the streets. The beach is spotlessly clean with lots of amenities.

You have an excellent choice of restaurants and bars but as usual the quality you receive is relative to what you want to spend. The shops are excellent and the promenade extends for miles.

On the front there are several very large hotels, some all inclusive which can get rowdy in high season but go to the back of the resort and it is totally different.

The transport links up and down the coast are excellent and spend a day in Malaga it really is a lovely place to visit.

I have travelled extensively on the Costa Del Sol and although it is not my favourite area of Spain I much prefer Torremolinos to a lot of the other souless resorts, especially Marbella which is over priced, over hyped, and only for the people who want to brag about how big a snob they are.

Accept Torremolinos for what it is and have a great time and don't be put off.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 02:21 AM

If you have already made the mistake of booking Torremolinos, don't compound it by going to Gibraltar.
Both these places serve beer in pints.
They are not Spanish, Gib officially.
Nearby Fuengirola is better than Torre.
Old May 5th, 2004, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your suggestions and feedback. I will let you know how it goes when we return.
Audrey in NC
Old May 5th, 2004, 10:51 AM

I think Torremolinos is great, especially for shopping. You can find great shoes there, cheap. It is very touristy but has a great night life. There is a restaurant there (don't know the name), but it's high on a hill and over looks the Mediteranian - fantastic view. Also, I think Gibralter is great too. If you like Llardro, that is the place to buy it (at least it was 4 years ago). If you like going out at night and partying, go to Puerto Banus. Beware though, the clubs don't open until after midnight.
Old May 5th, 2004, 01:10 PM

I really enjoyed my visit to costa del Sol. We ate at some very good restaurants and sat at some outdoor bars to drink sangria (YUM).

The beach was very clean and they had sand artist making impressive sculptures in the sand.

We also enjoyed our visit to Gibralta. We took the tour to where the Barbary apes were. That was exciting. We also walked through St. Michaels caverns. I would highly recommend doing these two things. We missed the extended tour that went through the tunnels and I heard that it was also very enjoyable.

As for Mijas, we went in one very small museum. It was neat but VERY small. We saw the whole thing in 15 or 20 minutes. We really saw nothing else in Mijas except an outdoor shoping comples. I would not go back there, unless someone told me that we went to the wrong part of Mijas and that there was something there to see.

The Mediterranean was not as clear as the water in Hawaii, I would compare it to the water in the Gulf of Mexico. But the beach is not sand like in the US. I think it was small rocks and pebbles. With plenty shells.

I also loved the Alhambra. Don't miss a guided tour, it was so interesting.

In Costa del Sol, try the fried sardines. They are very tastie and the Sangria from the street bars is made with lots of fresh fruit.

You should have a great time. I want to go back and so does my family.

FYI we do travel overseas often and have been to several countries. I am very surprised that negative comments came up for this place. (BUT we did visit off-season, in February, so maybe things are different in the summer.)
Old May 10th, 2004, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Val,Amee and Applepie,
Thanks so much for the positive feedback. I was beginning to feel somewhat hesitant about going. I will take your advice on the sardines and definitely the trip to Gibraltar and Alhambra. I will post my trip report when I return in July. I am keeping an ongoing list of places to visit while I am there and things to eat and drink. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Audrey in NC
P.S. I LOVE shoes that part made my day!!!!