Marbella on the Costa del Sol

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2007, 02:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After so many stories about Marbella , Spain and especially the Andalucian province by a variety of friends and relatives, this summer i finaly managed to visit Marbella myself. I have to agree with them, it is a superb holiday experience. Marbella and it's harbour Puerto Banus are seriously buzzing in this time of the year.
The Marbella micro climate makes it possible to max out all 24 available hours in a day. Chilling out during the daytime in the simmering sun on the palm tree bordered beaches, tanning up and preparing for the nightlife showoff. And it is a showoff - it is hard to find any other place where the nice things are qeueing up like they do in Marbella. Eyecandy almost everywhere. Beautifull people, places, cars and yachts. There is no limit to the sheer display of luxury in Marbella. If you did not brought it with you, shopping options are open at the numerus available designer shops, and i suggest you do if you do not want to stand out of the crowd.
Escaping Marbella is a welcome option after a few days of pure hedonism, and the contrast with the real relaxed Andalucia is one to be tasted. A few tips: Ronda with it's spectacular views, and Tarifa on the Atlantic coast, famous for its white beaches and a surfers paradise. There is so much more to discover in Andalucia that two weeks just don't cover a big enough time span to see it all. I entered Marbella on my "visit again list" as one of the toppers.
a calendar with local Marbella events:
http://www.marbellas.com/calendar/calendar.asp
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 02:57 AM

Just shows what an interesting world it is. I would rather DIE than go on holiday in a place like this -- or Las Vegas, on this side of the Atlantic.

The Costa del Sol is without a doubt one of the least attractive places I have ever been, comparable with, say, US 41 in Florida in its crass and unfeeling overdevelopment of what once must have been a lovely landscape.

The contrast between the Costa del Sol and the interior of Spain is astonishing. Though the Spanish are working hard to ruin much of their scenery through factory farming of olives and grapes, they haven't destroyed the terrain, they can't touch the vast skies, and they have done a wonderful job of preserving the cores of their historic towns and cities (see, I'm not crabby about everything!).

How about stay in Ronda and make a day trip to the Costa del Sol rather than the other way around?
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 03:21 PM

I guess it takes all kinds because I love the Costa del Sol. I am well aware that it is touristy and in the view of many, rather tacky but since we always manage to have a great time, we keep returning. I find that even in the resort towns themselves we can always find excellent restaurants, bars, shopping etc... We rent an apartment and stay two months every year. We also enjoy seeing other parts of Andalucia and Spain in general. I have been to Ronda and it is lovely and worth seeing but I cannot imagine staying there for any great length of time. No, I would much rather use the Costa del Sol as a base and visit Granada, Cordoba, Seville, Antequera. El Torcal etc..
Part of our love for the Costa del Sol is based on our many friends who join us in the annaul good time. Where else can you sit in a restaurant a few yards from the Mediterranean and eat well prepared fresh fish and drink decent wine at a fairly reasonable price?? Surely not on US 41 ( I live in Florida). By the way, I like vegas as well. I guess my mundane tastes exclude me from ever being a Sophisticate.
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 02:10 PM

Rather DIE than spend time in Marbella?

I've been all over Spain on several visits, and Marbella is one of my favorite places to spend a few days. The gracious hospitality in Marbella is a relaxing respite from the slacker attitude found in so many other places in Spain.
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 04:24 PM

While there are other places in Spain I like (LOVE would be more the word) more, I like Marbella too and think the old town is really charming and the beach area fun. Plus, it's a good base for exploring much of the other area such as Nerja, Rhonda, Granada, and the white villages (assuming you rent a car--might be difficult without one, but maybe not, don't know about this.)

We've stayed there several times and would stay there again in a heartbeat. While there are areas in Costa del Sol that are IMO much too built up, Marbella was pleasant and charming.
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 05:40 PM

Well, I wouldn't rather DIE than visit Marbella, but I'd rather eat worms or rinse my eyes out with jalapeno juice than go there.

There are many places in Spain, I've enjoyed, but I ran screaming from the Costa del Sol.
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 05:56 PM

Many of those who spend time in Marbella own condos there or go there for an extended period. As a result, those in the service industry treat visitors with the courtesy that is extended to guests who might return to stay, shop, eat, etc.

This isn't true every place in Spain. At many popular destinations, service people often do not threat visitors with courtesy, respect, and consideration. "No" is the most like answer to a request.

Lucky for us there are those who would rather die or go blind than share their arrogance with us while we enjoy Marbella.
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 06:18 PM

When we passed through, it was Deutschland-by-the-sea. Is it still that way?
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 07:14 PM

Arrogance? You can't just accept that some people like some places and don't like others? What's arrogant about that?

Enjoy Marbella all you like - you can happily have it.
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 07:29 PM

Thank you. St. Cirq. As I have said, I love the Costa del Sol. There are many who don't and I am not inclined to insult them for it. As other posters stated , the old part Of Marbella is charming. I don't stay there myself but I do like it. I can also agree that I too enjoy the gracious hospitality offered in the area. I really cannot see what is so offensive about the place that would make you run screaming, while eating worms and rinsing your eyes with jalapeño juice.
The original poster, Macrobe, described a very enjoyable holiday and I am pleased he enjoyed it.
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 07:58 PM

I have been going to Spain for over forty years and I avoided Marbella because I have of negative word of mouth such as some have expressed here.

In 2006, after spending a few miserable days walking over construction sites and being treated like a boob in Seville, I went to Marbella where I had a relaxing and enjoyable time and several of the best meals I've ever eaten in Spain.

I didn't notice an over-abundance of Germans in Marbella, but perhaps they were there and to some extent account for the civil atmosphere of the place.

Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 07:35 AM

Happytrails, I too have been going to Spain for over 40 years and I have visited most of the country. In fact I was in Seville in 2006 and know what you mean about the construction. We stay in an even more "touristy" part of the Costa del Sol which I hesitate to mention for fear of the ridicule it will engender. However, I have visited Marbella often enough to know that there are charming and lovely parts of the city and the restaurants can be excellent. In an earlier post I mentioned that I enjoy the meals I have eaten in restaurants on the Costa. I especially enjoy fresh fish just a few feet from the MED. Guess you and I are appreciative of what we find. But I am sorry that it took so long for you to discover the positives. Perhaps we should not always pay heed to the nay sayers!!
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 08:21 AM

Raydotman,

There is a reason the reviled Costa del Sol is the playground for tourists AND Spaniards--the hospitality industry does what it can to get you to stay longer and to come back soon.

We also enjoyed the time we spent in Nerja last year.

I stayed in Torremolinos when it was a fishing village. Our nice little room was $1.25 per night.

HTTY
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 07:37 PM

HTTY

First visit to Torremolinos was almost 40 years ago. It was so small we couldn't even get a room in the summer. Had to stay in Malaga. I remember Mike's Bar and Casa Juan in the Carihuela when it was a hole in the wall. Casa Juan has now expanded into several restaurants. The town itself was occupied by an eccentric set of ex-pat characters who contributed much to the charm of the place. I also remember Nerja when it was a small town. I was shocked when I saw it a few years ago. I guess I go back because in a small way the place still retains some remnants of those halcyon days.
Maybe some day we will meet on the reviled Costa del Sol!
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 04:46 AM

I understand and respect the pleasure of going back year after year to a place with warm weather, comfort, and service. You will notice that I described US 41 in Florida with some authority because I have spent many pleasant winter days crawling through its tasteless sprawl on the way to charming and delicious waterside restaurants.

My nastiness was directed to the original poster who seems to have written a publicity blurb for the Marbella none of you describe, the Marbella of "nightlife showoff," "sheer display of luxury," and "numerus [sic] available designer shops." I have friends from North London with a house in Marbella that they enjoy very much, but it is not the Marbella the OP describes.
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 05:01 AM

Each to his/her own.

Not my cup of tea.

Spain is a fantastic destination with so much to see, but it has to be said that the coastline has been IMHO pretty much ruined. All high rise concrete, and bars, and neon, and consumerism writ large, etc. etc. - like I said not my cup of tea.

I have family pix of me quite young, and probably topless, playing on the beach in Benidorm in the late 50s.

How things change! But of course they do, and the revenue Spain got from all those package holiday makers in the late 70s and 80s must have been a nice cushion in its transition from dictatorship to vibrant democracy, don't you think?

So best not to knock it too much.