Too late to plan June trip to London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2003, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK - I'm looking for help from some of you pros out there. We're three &quot;40 something&quot; moms who's June tour to France, Austria and Italy has just been cancelled. We've travelled in Europe together on tours before but have yearned for the flexibility of indep. travel. So.....we've decided to take the plunge.....with London as our base. Is it still possible to make lodging arrangements and find affordable flights at this late date? Can please someone steer me in the right direction to start?<BR><BR>Thanks so much,<BR>Melissa
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 06:21 AM

I just planned a trip and booked tickets &amp; hotel this week. Airfare isn't cheap, but it's dropped some even since Monday. I've never seen great deals for June anyway, so prices now are typical, but available. I found plenty of hotels and B&amp;B's to choose from. Again, prices are never discounted much in June so the rates are higher than if you went tomorrow, but at least there's a good selection.
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 06:43 AM

MP<BR><BR>Why don't you do some research &amp; find out prices &amp; then decide. I just did a quick search on travelocity for air fares from NY to London. Beginning of June are $500, towards the end of the month they go up to $560-570. If the war continues, I think prices will come down. <BR><BR>I'd start by checking the BA website to see what DATES in June are best (assuming you have some flexibility). The BA site gives you the ability to select a few dasy before &amp; after dates to check differences. There are also price differences on flights on the same day.<BR>I'd also look into air/hotel packages. People here have had good luck with Go-Today.com Also check the airlines' packages.<BR>You can also try www.eurotrip.com for info on what good prices are around.<BR>Hope this gives you a good start.
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 06:50 AM

I have just received a notice from travelzoo.com on a real deal for 6-7 nights in London, hotel and airfare, all for only $389. This is a legitimate offer that is made for certain Air India flights that go from JFK to Heathrow, and you have to stay in the Mina House hotel in London for this lowest rate. But I noticed Travelzoo has some other deals too. You might want to go to their website and give it a look. Good luck.
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 07:02 AM

Here are some more sites that are currently advertising specials on London air and hotel packages. A package is likely to get you the best price on lodging with the &quot;real&quot; tourist season approaching.<BR><BR>www.bestfares.com<BR>www.go-today.com<BR>www.offpeaktraveler.com<BR><BR>Icelan dair (www.icelandair.com) has bargain prices on flights to Europe, but their departure cities are limited and you'll need to arrange your own lodging.
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! We had no idea where to even begin looking. Just cross your fingers for us......<BR><BR>Melissa
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 07:18 AM

This should be a fine time. We made arrangements for our June 2002 trip to Germany at this time last year. Got Baltimore to Frankfurt on US Airways for $497 each (would have been $447 except we had to fly on weekends), and we had no trouble reserving accomodations. I wouldn't imagine that the UK would be any more difficult.
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 07:19 AM

Hi<BR>a good place to browse for hotels is www.londontown.com<BR>Pick out a few that look good, and do a search on them here, or in the fodors.com hotels Rants and Raves comments.<BR>One popular economy minded hotel in London is the Morgan, many comments on it.<BR>Steinbicker's book &quot;Daytrips London&quot; is also a good resource for, surprise, daytrips.<BR><BR>I have a file on London, if you'd like to see it, email me at <BR>[email protected]
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 07:28 AM
ira

Hi Melissa,<BR> Why not do both London and Paris?
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 07:29 AM

Hi Melissa - While I agree with Alan64 that fares won't be 'cheap' in June, you'll have terrific summer weather.<BR><BR>My mom and I just booked round trip air from Minneapolis/London and eight nights at our favorite London hotel, the Melia White House Regent's Park through American Airlines Fly AAway vacations. You might want to check with your travel agent.<BR><BR>I'd be happy to quote you the prices off the list if you are interested.<BR><BR><BR><BR>
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 07:29 AM

Try www.londonnights.com they have really good deals on above average hotels!
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 08:12 AM

This will probably shock all of you super advance planners. We are budget travelers who have taken 6 trips to Europe in the past 4 years. With one exception we have never booked plane tickets further than 4 to 8 weeks ahead. We've taken 2 winter trips, 1 spring trip, 2 summer trips, and 1 fall trip. The highest airfare we paid was for the Sept. trip, and that was the one we booked the earliest. As far as finding lodging, the only time we have even had minor difficulty was in August when we were looking for a decent, affordble, convenient hotel that also had parking in Prague. That's why I had to chuckle when I saw the post; for us this would really be long-term advance planning.
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 10:17 AM

I think London is really easy --- last year I took a trip to London in August just because I wanted to get away, and didn't plan it until July, probably. there wasn't that much to do as I was just going to be in London for a week, with perhaps a day trip or two. <BR><BR>I just found the cheap air fare, booked it, and then perused www.londontown.com for a decent hotel in the area I wanted, and booked that online easily immediately. there were many many options at that time. With those basics down, I just did a little internet research on some walking tours, or bus tour to Sissinghurst gardens as I really wanted to see them (Evans has some), and that was about it.<BR><BR>I also recommend the Steinbicker book if you want to do much outside London. You might want to check www.go-today.com also for good deals.
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 01:57 PM

<BR>I am no pro, but can say that you are not at all too late. The slump in transatlantic tourism has left rooms empty, and cheap, all over London.<BR>Others have given good advice on cheap flights. I have on disc notes on small cheap hotels in Victoria and on the Strand, which I shall gladly e-mail you if you ask me. These days cheap includes the Thistle chain, such as Victoria or Charing Cross, if booked through a consolidator. Costs are lower outside London, so you might book also a week somewhere beautiful that is good for rail connections: I think of Ely, Leamington, Shrewsbury, Carlisle or Sterling, depending on your tastes.<BR><BR>Please write if I can help further. Welcome to England.<BR><BR>[email protected]<BR>
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 02:22 PM

muddy - if you are adventurous, there are bargains on priceline. start by studying its companion site http://www.biddingfortravel.com which explains how to bid (and how not to) for airfares and, especially hotels. winning hotel bids posted for march-june average in the $70's range, and that's USD not GBP.