Toddler-friendly Rome apartment/area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for a 2BR or 3BR apt. in Rome for my wife and me, our 21-month old son, and our mother-in-law. We're especially interested in apartments that have some type of outside access and we'd love to be in a neighborhood close to a park or a piazza. I've stayed in Trastevere before and love the area but don't know if it's "toddler appropriate". Regardless, I'll be taking care of our son for much of the time so my wife can see the sites (her first visit to Rome). I've gone to many of the rental apartment sites and to slowtrav as well but was hoping to gather some additional intel. Thanks in advance for any and all help....and if you have any other suggestions for traveling with a toddler in Rome, I'm all ears.

Mac
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 04:42 AM

We're in almost the same boat, except both of my in-laws are coming (and my son will be 22-months). One of the absolute keys for us was to find an apartment with a washing machine. (They also have a dryer, which is not a forgone conclusion even if they have a washer.) Traveling with 14 days of clothing for a toddler would be brutal. We also wanted somewhere in the historical center (more convenient for a trip back) and somewhere no higher than the (US) 3rd floor unless it had an elevator. We have booked the green apartment at http://www.residenzagiubbonari.com/home.html, but don't go until Nov, so I don't have any personal experience. They were very responsive and even offered a travel crib (common) and a high chair (not so common). Campo di' Fiori is just down the street as is a small park on Largo Arenula. Their yellow apartment has a balcony. I'll be sure to report back once we've returned.

Paul
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 07:01 AM

My husband, 8m old daughter and I are heading to Rome on Tuesday. I'll write more when we return but a few thoughts on the planning stage.

- Location: We rented an apartment near the Campo di Fiore with the idea that we should stay somewhere central since we would probably have to go back to the apartment more than usual (forgetting stuff, naps for the baby, etc). Not sure if there are any playgrounds there but plenty of places nearby for a toddler to run around, close to sightseeing and lot s of restaurants nearby.

- Apartment features: We looked for a place with a washer and dryer as well. Couldn't find some place with a dryer so we are just planning to air dry our clothes. I agree that trying to pack 2 weeks of baby clothes will be a nightmare. I also wanted an apt with a bathtub and most of the 1BRs did not have tubs. The apt we rented only has a shower but I found a blow up duck bath tub at Target for $10 so we'll just use that on the kitchen floor.

- Crib: From what I can see, renting a crib in Italy is a real hassle. The apartment agency we rented from said they would get us a crib 3 months ago (and specified it would be a crib, not a pack and play) and last week told us that they couldn't get us a crib and only could get us a pack and play. I am angry at the rental agency about that but since our daughter is still small enough for the pack and play it is doable. If your kid is too big for a pack and play, finding an apt with an actual crib might be difficult. By the way, I also tried finding rental agencies for cribs and the only place I found that would deliver to Rome (an affiliate of Cort Rental in US) wanted $500 just for the delivery. I also found an Ikea outside of Rome. But then you'd have to go there (or have it delivered) and still put it together yourself.

-High chair. I gave up on finding this and we are just bringing the Fisher Price plastic booster seat we use at home.

- Other gear. Other that the booster seat we are bringing an umbrella stroller, carseat for the plane ride over and a few toys. The apartment has a dishwasher so we'll just bring a few plastic baby spoons and bowls.

- Other apartment features. We wanted a low floor as well. I think the apt is on the second floor. There were a couple places we looked at with nice balconies that thought that was a bad idea. The photo of the apt we chose looks pretty austere, which is fine with us because a lot of them looked filled with decorative stuff that the baby would either try to eat or break. I'd be careful about that.

Anyway, wish us luck on our trip and I'll write more when we get back! Let me know if any more pre-departure questions.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 08:31 AM

We stayed at the Jewel of Trastevere on Via Luciano Manara very close to Piazza di San Cosimato (review on SlowTrav.com). There is a double bedroom and a single. You'd have to check if crib and kid accessories can be made available. Vast inner courtyard offers some outdoor space but not really any facilities for play.
However, Piazza di San Cosimato is very child friendly with a small play park and a whole neighbourhood of kids flocking there , particularly during passigiata hours. Not too far away is a great park for kids up the hill at Villa Sciarra.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Hey all,

Thanks for all the help and safe travels. By the way - My favorite baby/toddler product is the Me Too High Chair. Good stuff especially if you don't have access to a high chair. cheers,

Mac