Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How do you spend your time on an international flight?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are on an international flight (6+) hours, how do you tend to spend the majority of your flight. Looking for some different ideas (other than books & sleep). I usually take a travel book and look over it, since each seat on our flight doesn't have a personal movie screen.

Just seeing some ideas from other Fodorites.

Thanks,

GreekGazoo
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 11:22 AM

If I travel with someone, I bring one small magnetic game of checkers, chess, etc.

If I am travelling alone, I journal, do mind puzzles, or play on my gameboy.

I have seen people watch movies on their personal DVD players.

Old Sep 10th, 2007, 11:39 AM

I like listening to a book on an MP3 player - means that I can try and doze off as well.

Have also listened to Berlitz or equivalent if I am trying to bone up on some the language before arriving.

Also like to save newspapers to read on the plane - actually this is more for returning from the UK. I often check in with several days worth of papers - and if I am travelling on a Sat or Sun - several of that day's papers
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 12:13 PM

I have done paperwork that I have trouble doing when I'm home. Atleast the phone isn't ringing! I also like to people watch and see what people are reading. I've noticed people with laptops playing games like solataire. My husband and I play solataire. Good luck! I hate the flights, and I wish I could fall asleep.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 12:23 PM

I have a PMP (personal media player) with a 7 inch screen and an 80 GB hard drive. I have all my favourite movies on it, so I can watch what I want, when I want. It also holds my entire music library so I can listen to any of my music I want.

I can also read PDF files on it, although for reading, I also usually have at least one or two books on me. I find it easier on the eyes to read from paper books than the LCD screen. Sometimes I'll take a book of crossword puzzles.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 12:38 PM

Since the overwhelming majority of international flights take less than 90 minutes (and half of that time's taken up circling Heathrow after they've asked us to put the tray tables up), the simple answer to the question in the title is "reading that morning's FT&quot

For longer flights - just take a second book.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 12:38 PM

Depends on the airline. Northwest, Virgin and British Airways have wonderful seatback video systems with a huge array of movies. USAirways (330) sucks in that department--just a few oldies. So if there are good movies I watch them because the time just flies for me. If not, I get out my iPod, close my eyes and plan my walking adventures, dinner plans, gifts, etc. until I basically zone out for a bit. I also always have a book, though I find I seldom open it. I need complete quiet to concentrate, I think.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 12:44 PM

Mel,
Does Northwest have the seatback videos in coach or am I dreaming?
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 12:45 PM
ira

I get rip roaring drunk and pinch the flight attendants.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 12:45 PM

Mel,
Does Northwest have the seatback videos in coach or am I dreaming? We are leaving in ten days and I'm wondering how long my iPod will last.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 01:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
knitting - wooden needles...also good for sitting around in airports.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 01:07 PM
rex

Sleeping...

Sweet dreams... and...

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 01:08 PM

I travel to Asia yearly, and the LA to Seoul flight is about 14 hours. So, I"ve learned to pace myself. At first I"ll read (while my mind is most alert) books, then newspapers then magazines.
I'll review my language or travel books and then as I'm starting get tired I"ll switch to movies. I try to stand up for half of the flight (too high strung to sit for extended periods). When I want to take a nap to get on 'local' time I'll have some wine. I never eat plane food, except when I'm flying first class. I drink lots of water inflight. I prefer to wait and eat at international airports I'm connecting through(love the noodle restaurants at Seoul, sushi in Tokyo, etc.). I always feel good when I arrive.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 01:12 PM

jscarbary - What flights are you on? NW's A330 to Europe has personal screen in coach with AVOD (audio/video on demand). Their 757-200s don't have any screen.

Many flights with a NW flight number 86xx are operated by KLM, and whether you have a screen depends on which flight.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 02:33 PM

I enjoy watching lots of movies on a flight, and I always bring snacks (but be careful about any quarantine laws). It's a good opportunity to veg out, and feel completely fine about it. If you don't have personal screens, I would invest in a personal DVD player.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 03:19 PM

Have you heard about "the mile high club"! This helps on a flight.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 03:27 PM

If there's an IES on board, <u>and</u> there's a good movie on, I'll watch it. Otherwise, I'll turn on my iPAQ and play games or read my e-books and listen to Beethoven. Maybe doze.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 03:44 PM

I set up a snare drum and practice patterns over and over and over. It makes a nice rhythm for all the FA pinching and Mile-highing that goes on.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 03:45 PM

Just returned from a trip to Greece. From JFK to Heathrow we flew on a 747 I think it was on BA and it had video screens in the seat backs with a lot of options-movies-cd's and other selections. The configuration was three-four-three on the seats. On the way back from Athens to Heathrow we had the same set-up but the video screens were having some problems so it wasn't as good. Hope this helps.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 05:46 PM

My flights to Europe I usually overnight, so I try hard to sleep - but end up reading. That is why I do not leave home without a good detective novel on hand.

But maybe I will now try to take DVD's to watch on my laptop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -