To Walk or Not To Walk?

Old May 12th, 2002, 02:54 PM
Betty

To Walk or Not To Walk?

I Love to Walk, but don't want to arrive with my heart beating out of my chest - so tell me , how long would it take me to walk from Harrods to Buckingham Palace? and what about from Kensington Palace to Harrods? And one more - from Victoria Coach Station to Waterloo? (and no, I don't walk fast - I stroll!)

Old May 12th, 2002, 06:08 PM
Sheila

I don't know how good of a walker you are, but, my daughter and I age 57 and 34 spent 7 days in London and walked everywhere, but, it does take a while. And, the bus or tube is easy to use ao after the first few times of walking we started grabbing the tube. We walk fairly fast, and it probably took an hour and one half to two hours to go from Kensington, Buckingham, to Westminister. That would be steady walking and not wandering around. But, if you also take the tours you will be a dragging as it would be an all day process. If you do take tours in any of the palaces,cathedrals etc, be sure to rent the audio as it really enhances the experience. We stayed near Kensington and walked to Harrods too, but, once you have done the walk it is easier to ride the bus or tube. I think walking to those places are worth the effort if you are used to walking and healthy. Not sure about Waterloo to Victoria Station, but I think it may even be closer. Have fun and Enjoy

Old May 12th, 2002, 07:12 PM
ron

Harrod's to Buckingham Palace, 1 mile; Kensington Palace to Harrod's, 1.5 miles; Victoria Coach Station to Waterloo Station, 2 miles. My stroll is about 3 miles a minute, so 20 minutes, 30 minutes and 40 minutes respectively.

Old May 13th, 2002, 01:50 AM
speedy

I'll look out for you Ron zooming round London at 3 miles a minute. If I can see you, that is ;-)

Old May 13th, 2002, 02:00 AM
Leslie

I think you will find that the tube can be your best friend. Last summer, I spent 5 days in London, and after a few trips on the tube, you'll know exactly where you are going. However, walking is not bad either. London is very easy to get around in, and you'll find some pretty need things on your way from one place to the next that you didn't even know were there. Just be sure to bring comfortable walking shoes, and it doesn't hurt to carry a water bottle around. I know you'll have a great time. Enjoy!

Old May 13th, 2002, 05:19 AM
ron

thanks speedy, should have gone to bed at 11pm and not posted at all!

Old May 13th, 2002, 05:25 AM
Betty

Old May 13th, 2002, 06:19 AM
ron

Sure Betty, not a problem. I next expect to be in London in January or February 2003 and will e-mail you before I go. But I won’t be carrying you to Harrod’s - I’ve been to London about 20 times over the years and Harrod’s is still about 473rd on my list of places to go.

More seriously, even with this amusing slip,the distances and final calculations are correct. Did you find this useful or did I waste my time?

Old May 13th, 2002, 06:44 AM
Betty

In all seriously? Yes your answer helped a lot! It takes me about 30 min to walk about a mile; so I will stroll the mile - mile 1/2 - but not the 2 miles. Thanks Ron! (I will be there in 3 months, so our "walking" paths will not cross). I am anxious to check out Harrods! But, alas, I AM a woman! Thanks!

Old May 14th, 2002, 09:11 AM
Gaia

There are beautiful red buses in London, why walk?

Old May 14th, 2002, 09:22 AM
Colleen

Why walk? This is why Americans (like me) are always either on diets or in the doctors' offices. Walking (if you can) is the best way to truly experience a place. You will see things that will evade you in a bus or tube. It is sensual.

Old May 14th, 2002, 09:24 AM
Betty

I guess to see the sites and people upclose and personal. But I am going to buy the travel pass, so I am sure I will hop a bus or Two!