Getting around London

Search

Getting around London

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2003, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting around London

My husband and I will be visiting London for 2 full days. What is the best way to get around and see the sights - the tube or red bus?
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 07:25 PM

The red buses are more fun but can run into horrendous traffic congestion although some claim that this has, to some degree,been alleviated by Mayor Ken's new £5 congestion charge.

Do remember travelcards are good on both.
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 08:20 PM

Of course there are always exceptions - but in general, longer distances are faster and easier on the tube, shorter distances are better by bus or on foot.

For example - from Victoria to the Tower the tube would be by far the best way to get there. But Victoria to Knightsbridge would often be better by bus because on the tube you'd have to change lines and walk a long distance for a relatively short journey.

There is no one "best" way to get around.
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 08:22 PM

Sould have said "but SOME shorter distances are better by bus or on foot"
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 08:37 PM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
annk

Tube. Most major sites are Zone 1. The
tube is very easy, including tranfers to other lines. Combine that with a bit of walking & you can see everything. It truly is a breeze.
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 08:59 PM
dln

The tube is fast and efficient, but no view. The bus can be slow if the traffic is slow, but the entire city is bustling around you and the gawking is great.

You'll have to decide what suits you, but if were me, I do a combo.

Old Jul 4th, 2003, 10:49 PM

We use both thte tue and the red buses..we bought a travel card and it was well worth it. zone 1-2 is all you need!
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 06:00 AM

So with the travelcard you get both the bus and the tube? Is it the double decker type of bus or like a greyhound type? Just curious.
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 06:17 AM

Yes, the travelcards allow for regular 'red ' bus and tube travel. The red buses are double decked, the top level is enclosed. ( But if you've a wish to ride one of those open top double deck tour buses, those are not included on the travelcard.)
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 06:38 AM

You can buy a pass for just the bus, or for tube and bus. For the latter, even if you buy a tube pass for just zones 1 and 2 (where most tourist attractions and hotels are), it's good for almost all buses, even outside those zones.
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 06:50 AM

If I may put in my 2 cents. I love London, and I HATE the tube. I get claustraphobic in the worst way. It's almost always crowded and you can't see anything. I would much rather sit in traffic and see LONDON, than navigate the corridors, stairways, directions, and crowds of the tube.

If you are only there 2 days, consider taking a Big Bus tour one of the days. Ride on top in the open (no claustraphobia there!) and you will go past ALL the sites of London. Hop on and hop off where you like on one ticket. Also you get an interesting and entertaining commentary on everything. The ticket also includes a Thames river cruise.

Enjoy London!
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your replies. With the travelcard option I may try the combo. The Big Bus Tours sound like a good choice as well. I tried a similar one in Paris and enjoyed the narration but traffic was horrendous in areas.
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 04:22 PM

Make sure you pick up the leaflet which contains not only the tube map but also the diagram/map of bus routes in central London in relation to the main sights and attractions. It should be in the racks by the ticket office in any tube station.