Best London area closest to the tube?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In March '07, we're spending 1 night in London and will need 2 hotel rooms for 4 people (2 in each room). Our budget is around $100 U.S. per room (I know, is low price for London and will be hard to find, but they're out there if you look hard enough. Also, 2 star is fine, not too fussy, as long as they have en-suite bathroom). We want something VERY close to the tube as one of us is disabled and can't walk long distances - 5-10mins. max. We're also looking for something that's within a 20min. or less tube ride to downtown, to save time for touring instead of waisting time riding on tube. Any suggestions would help. Thanks in advance, mmich929. P.S.: We're not interested in a B&B or Hostel, prefer a "real" hotel.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 09:02 AM

If one is disabled you may want to take the buses, which are equipped for whatever. Tube access is often hard - steps - some elevators but still a hassle. Tube map shows which stations are handicapped-accessible and it's not nearly all of them - less than half i believe. Buses go everywhere - will stop very close to your hotel - a day's bus pass is just 3 pounds and is good all over greater London.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 09:06 AM

Agree that tube is not a great option for someone who is disabled. Most have stairs - some a lot of stairs and the connections from one line to another (there are many different lines and no line goes everywhere you want) are often long. Also, where the stations do have escalators they are VERY fast - not like you see in the US - if you can;t move quickly you can easily have trouble with them.

Agree that a hotel on a good bus route would be a better choice. And accept the fact that you sometimes may need to use cabs.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 09:07 AM

I think you should try for two rooms on Priceline, in the Bloomsbury-Marble Arch zone. See BetterBidding.com and BiddingForTravel.com and numerous posts here. With a 3* or 4* hotel in that zone, you would be practically assured of convenient access (certainly less than 10 minutes walk) to both the tube and buses.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 09:17 AM
AllyPally

Hi - thinking of some hotels/areas for you but in the meantime, here is the Tube map noting stations which are disabled accessible (for example, Westminster, Waterloo, etc.)

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/pdfdocs/colourmap.pdf

Old Sep 19th, 2006, 09:18 AM
AllyPally

Sorry, meant to add that these stations will have lifts (elevators) for wheelchairs as opposed to escalators to the platforms.

Old Sep 20th, 2006, 03:14 AM

As a disabled person myself

just because they have a lift does not mean the lift wll work It also doesn't mean there won't be a small staircase between the lift and the platform.

There may also not be room for a wheel chair on the train due either to the carriage being old and / or there being too many people on the train.

If the disabled person in your party is not a wheel chair user still think carefully - you can have long distances to walk within the stations particularly the larger central ones.

Have you considered hiring a car? I know not usually an option in london but you should be able to use a disabled parking permit - not sure on this, you would need to check and also if you are disabled you do not pay the congestion charge - but you will have to register your details in advance.

The most accesible public transport in london are the black cabs - all have to have space for a wheelchair and carry a portable ramp. They arre also of course the most expensive.

mincabs are prebooked but ordinary cars so you would have to ask when booking if they are accesible.

sorry this is off topic but i know from personal experience how access can make / ruin a trip.

It's only 11 years since the disability discrimination act came into force - london should be accessible by next century.

BTW DO ask for disabled tickets at cinemas / theatres / attractions - oftent he disabled person has to pay full price but their "carer" can go in free.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 05:28 AM

Agree black cab or bus is a better mode of transportation.
Not sure about driving, I must say. Handicapped parking bays do exist, but it may be still a bit of walk from where you want to go. Also, many would be reserved to local residents. You'll need to apply to local council (eg Westminster or Kensington) to get the disabled parking badges so I'm not sure if this is an option if you're only renting a car.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 06:02 AM

I'm often in London and travel almost everywhere by bus these days. The bus-stops all have route maps so you can plan where you need to change buses and a 3 pound ticket from the machine near the stop allows travel all day. Travelling by tube you can often feel you've walked the distance to the next station by the time you've negotiated corridors and elevators. (these are moving stairs not lifts)
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 06:10 AM

This is the official route planner for public transport in London in which you can specify your disability limitations.

http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/use..._TRIP_REQUEST2

If that link doesn't work just go to

journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/

and when you specify the routes click on the more options link beneath the green search button to customise the site to your requirements.

All the major sights will have access information on their websites as well.

Look on the bright side - London is very flat!
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 10:54 AM

My mother is partially disabled and cannot walk long distances. We always use the buses in London and I act as her "buffer" so that the driver doesn't slam on the accelerator and send her flying. Many elderly people use buses in London. As you are only staying one night, the chain of Choice Hotels (www.choicehotels.com) might be a good starting place. Many of the hotels have internet specials which are well below £100 a night on the rack rate (your $100 converts to about £52). As long as you pick somewhere reasonably central, you are never far from the sights in London.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 11:10 AM

I recall there being a number of inexpensive B&Bs right around Victoria Station. Sorry, it's been awhile since I've done that stay, but back in the day while I was still in school, I stayed in a few of them. If you poke around on-line, you should be able to find some.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 11:14 AM

you could go for the Gloucster tube area...priceline is a great for nailing a good rate.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 11:30 AM

I'm also disabled, not wheelchair user but I can't walk long distances or long flights of steps. I find London buses perfect for me and the drivers are trained to be very careful and always wait till I sit down (not as here at home in Spain where I can't ride buses because of that). Taxis are ok too, though I find them a bit difficult to go in ..too wide the distance from the door to the seat, that's good for wheelchairs but I have balance trouble so they're not easy to board for me once inside. I haven't tried the Tube, if I have to walk a lot..I prefer to do it outside, I don't want to waste my poor health seeing dark corridors
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 06:14 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If one of you can't walk far - you DEFINITELY won't want to use the tube much if at all. Getting to the station entrance is just the beginning. Very often there are looooong walks (some transfers have you walking 2 or 3 city blocks underground between platforms) up and down working or non-working escalators, and between different lines.

So: Taxis #1 (divided by 4 the cost won't be all that much more than the tube and will be door-to-door). Buses #2 - cheaper than taxis, cheaper and easier than the tube - but still some walking involved.

There are bus routes everywhere - so just find that hotel £52 per night room and there will be buses nearby - (w/o Priceline $100 doubles take some searching)
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 07:32 PM

Twice now, we've stayed at the Cherry Court Hotel near Victoria Station -- a train station and a tube stop. Mrs. Patel is very nice, and if you e-mail her any special needs you have, she will be happy to try and accommodate you I'm sure.

Here's their website. The rooms are small, but clean, comfortable, and the bathrooms are ensuite. They run about $110 per double. My favorite thing is that it's behind the station on a quiet street, very centrally located (a 10-minute walk up the road to Buckingham Palace, just a tube stop or two from Westminster, and cheap cab rides wherever you want to go since it's not too far from anything.

http://www.cherrycourthotel.co.uk/html/english.htm

Happy travels,

Jules

Jules
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 08:03 PM

Before you lay your lodging money down, locate the nearest bus stop to your hotel and download the corresponding bus "spider map" (see below).

Many parts of town (Marble Arch comes immediately to mind) are served by literally <i>dozens</i> of bus lines that go all over without a change. And most changes mean getting off one bus and boarding another at the same stop.

Click the first letter of your stop on the alphabet here: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/buses/spiders/#alpha