Reload this Page >

HEALTH & FITNESS IN A GORGEOUS SETTING

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2002, 01:51 PM
Karen Wernette

Hi.<BR><BR>I'm a first-time reader to "Travel Talk" and just scanned through about 560 Switzerland topics in the Europe Forum. Yikes!!! I'm so impressed, but finally had to stop.<BR><BR>Here's where I need help:<BR><BR>I'm taking the train from Avignon, France 6/14 to somewhere in Switzerland. I say somewhere, because the only place I need to be in Switzerland is Geneva on 6/21 for a meeting. I've got 6 nights to spend in one accommodation. (We don't like "sleeping around"!)<BR><BR>We would like the following:<BR><BR>1. Gorgeous view(s)<BR>2. Very nice accommodations, including air-conditioning, restaurant on property, nearby great restaurants, shopping (of sorts), stand-up shower, ability to retrieve emails/send them from the hotel, king bed<BR>3. I'd love to find a fabulous health/spa-resort that offers exercise programs and spa food, in the mountains, or a small village.<BR><BR>What clothes are appropriate for this time of year?<BR><BR>What is the temperature in/around the Geneva/lakes area?<BR><BR>Since we want to stay at one place/accommodation the entire time, do we need a car, or can trains allow us to do a bit of sight-seeing?<BR><BR>Thanks . . . for anyone's help (as soon as possible).<BR><BR><BR><BR>So, between

Old May 13th, 2002, 02:26 PM
x

Hostellerie Alpenrose in Schonreid right outside of Gstaad would be my suggestion. Great restaurant, wonderful accomodations, delightful accomodating staff. I would rent a car; driving around the area is delightful. My all time favorite place in Switzerland.

Old May 13th, 2002, 02:34 PM
x

sorry, the website for th Alpenrose is<BR>www.karenbrown.com/switzerland/alpenrose.html

Old May 13th, 2002, 02:44 PM
Tracy

Hi Karen<BR><BR>Check out<BR><BR>www.thononlesbains.com<BR><BR>or, there's always Evian next door . . .<BR>HTH, enjoy!

Old May 14th, 2002, 02:24 AM
Mike

I also stayed at the Alpenrose, and I also warmly commend it. Our rooms was really comfortable and had a lovely view (do take a south facing room) - one had a fireplace, which we didn't need, but it was loaded and ready to light. The food was just right for an extended stay - not too lavish, but good ingredients very well cooked. We tried the Carte one night, but it was richer, so we stuck to the table d'hote in general. Not being night owls, we didn't try the night club, and, the one night we wanted to, it was shut. The hotel is on a list of four that I will return to before I peg it, and it is the cheapest on that list!<BR><BR>My riders to all this praise would be:<BR><BR>Alpenrose has some relatively limited leisure facilities. I believe they have arrangements with other establishments, and they do "wellness specials". Nevertheless, there is a bigger establishment in the village, the Ermitage Golf, with much more extensive leisure/health spa facilities. We only used it as a coffee/beer stop on walks, for which it was super, but I really can't comment on much else about the place.<BR><BR>Gstaad itself has very good hotels with fantastic facilities. Have a look at www.gstaad.ch<BR><BR>And, finally, Lucerne would have a number of super choices for you. Maybe the Patk Hotel at Vitznau?

Old May 14th, 2002, 09:28 AM
Andre

Karen,<BR><BR>You have very precise criteria for your hotel.<BR><BR>The places I think will most likely please you are (in no particular order):<BR><BR>A) The Royal Parc in Evian (France) on Lake Geneva<BR>Pros: beautifully restored grand hotel overlooking the lake with full spa facilities and restaurant, a nice gourmet restaurant, easy drive to Geneva or boat ride to Lausanne for more shopping & dining options.<BR>Cons: No A/C, somewhat stuffy old fashioned atmosphere<BR>www.royalparcevian.com<BR><BR>B) The Beau-Rivage Palace in Lausanne<BR>Pros: Extremely luxurious grand hotel on the lakefront in Lausanne, a short funicular ride away from the old town shopping area.<BR>Cons: not a spa hotel per se, although it has extensive gardens, an indoor pool and tennis courts. Food is so-so (but lots of great restaurants in the area).<BR>http://www.beau-rivage-palace.ch/<BR><BR>C) The Ermitage in Sh&ouml;nried<BR>Pros: extensive spa facilities, in the mountains - great area for walking/hiking (Gstaad is very nearby)<BR>Cons: it's not as deluxe as the others I mentioned<BR>www.ermitagegolf.ch<BR><BR>D)Beau-Rivage in Interlaken<BR>Pros: beautiful deluxe hotel with extensive sports and spa facilities, conveniently located to explore the Berner Oberland<BR>Cons: No A/C, food so-so<BR><BR>Enjoy your trip!<BR>Andre