Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

To Crete or Not to Crete - That is the Question?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2007, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All - I am trying to line up my itinerary for Greece in June of 2008.

Currently, my itinerary includes a flight from NY-Athens with a same day connecting flight to Crete - then:
4 nights Crete
3 nights Santorini
3 nights Mykonos
2 nights Athens

My question is - is this too much bouncing around? I have no idea of travel time between islands so I may arrive in Crete, Santorini and Mykonos late in the day upon arrival in each island. Does that kill a day right there??

Would you recommend cutting Crete out of the mix and spending more time in Santorini & Mykonos? Or, I could take my Crete days and visit one other island closer to Santorini & Mykonos (Naxos, Paros, etc.) (I've read some recent comments on this board where people haven't been totally enamored with Crete. That is the only reason I am thinking of cutting this one, although of course, I'd love to see for myself)

What do you think? Should I go "to Crete or not to Crete?"

P.S. If I can, I may add another couple of days to my itinerary, but not sure on my vacation time. If I could do this, should I keep Crete?

Old Dec 19th, 2007, 05:24 AM

It depends upon what you are going to each island FOR.

SANTORINI we all know what for -- the glorious caldera view, the famous 'calendar picture" blue & white architecture.... and perhaps, some nightclubbing (Other aspects are less important, i.e.: the significant archeological 'dig' Akrotiri, is still closed, and beaches are black gritty stuff).

CRETE -- the stunning landscapes in the interior, the beauty of old town Chania, various amazing beaches, the unending riches of ruins and historic sites, tiny villages, flowers, etc etc. (NOTE: people who have had iffy comments about Crete usually have had to make a short visit and did not choose wisely---the North Coast east of Heraklion is "package-tour Hell.&quot

MYKONOS -- Now, here's my question: why Mykonos. (NOTE: I speak from experience). Are u going in order to see Delos? OK. Valid. Are you going to shop for expensive stuff? It is there. Are you going for late-night partying? Ditto. That sums it up. But if u are going for the blue/white "look" u will already have that mroe & better on Santorini. In my humble opinion, it would be better to skip Mykonos than Crete.

If you want a 3rd island & partying is not a priority, then I would suggest substituting Naxos for Mykonos, as closer to Santorini AND to Athens. (NAXOS has best beaches in the Cyclades + great ruins, views, maze-y agors PLUS half as expensive as Mykonos & Santorini).

TRAVEL TIMES - CRETE-SANTORINI ..There is a daily fast- ferry from Heraklion 9:45-11:45 am. SANTORINI -NAXOS.. several daily ferries: Fast= 1.5 hrs, regular=2.5 hours. SANTORINI-MYKONOS in June, daily... fast/reg 3+ -5 hrs.
MYK-ATHENS (reg)6+ Hours (fast) 4??
NAXOS-ATH (reg) 5 hrs (fast) 3??

Old Dec 19th, 2007, 05:29 AM

I would put into perspective the difference between let us say Santorini and Crete, in the last one you can see with your on EYES the ruins of one of the most fabulous ancient civilizations....it depends if it is important to you or not, I would put the question to Santorini or Not that is the question....however this is personal.
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 06:40 AM

I second the suggestion for Naxos! I was there in late May, and felt like I had the whole island to myself. My bf and I were travelling on very little money and were able to bargain for this ridiculously large apt on the beach (I forget where..unfortunately..this was long before I kept such details on my trips) for like 30 euros a night or something. It's really fun exploring an island that doesn't have a lot of tourists, and for us was a great contrast with Santorini, which we also loved. I haven't been to Crete yet, so can't comment on that!
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 08:29 AM

Paros is another alternative close to Santorini that has good beaches, lower prices and fewer tourists, although all the islands are fairly busy by June.
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 08:30 AM

I agree with the comments above. Santorini is a very small island and can be seen in a couple of days. I would not add days there. Naxos beats Mykonos on all levels except partying. Western Crete is worth seeing
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 08:33 AM

Let me say this. Of course we are all different, but we spent 3 nights on Mykonos -- enjoyed it, but were ready to leave when we did. We spent 3 nights on Santorini -- again, pretty much the same. We spent a week on Crete and I could have stayed another week. It is big, varied, and there is MUCH to do there. By the way, we also spend a few nights on each of four other islands on the same trip.
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 08:55 AM

To Crete or not to Crete?
To Santorini or not t Santorini?
To Mykonos or not to Mykonos?
You can play the game for all this islands:Aegina, Hydra, Poros, Spetses, Angistri, Salamina, Psytalleia, Leros Salaminos, Revythoussa, Moni Aiginas, Dokos, Spetsopoula, Romvi, Plateia, Psili, Agios Georgios, Patroklou, Fleves, Agios Georgios Salaminos, Ypsili Diaporion, Ypsili Argolidos, Agios Thomas Diaporion, Agios Ioannis Diaporion, Plateia Aiginis, Laousses Islets, Kyra Aiginis, Trikeri Hydras, Alexandros Hydras, Stavronisi Hydras, Velopoula, Falkonera, Lesbos, Lemnos, Agios Efstratios, Crete, Skiathos, Skopelos, Skyros, Adelfoi Islets, Agios Georgios Skopelou, Argos Skiathou, Dasia, Erinia, Gioura, Grammeza, Kyra Panagia, Lekhoussa, Peristera, Piperi, Psathoura, Repio, Rineia Skyrou, Sarakino, Skandili, Skantzoura, Skyropoula, Tsougria, Valaxa, Antikythera, Antipaxi, Corfu, Vidos, Kravia, Lazaretto, Ithaki or Ithaca, Sparti Lefkados, Kythros, Drakonera, Provati, Pistros, Pontikos, Modia Islets, Petalas, Vromonas, Kefalonia, Kythira, Lefkada, Paxi, Zakynthos, Strofades, Othonoi, Mathraki, Ereikoussa, Arkoudi, Meganisi, Skorpios, Kalamos, Kastos, Atokos, Makri, Makropoula, Oxeia, Elafonissos, Agathonissi, Koubelonisi, Stroggyli, Farmakonisi, Arkoi, Kalovolos, Agreloussa, Anydros Patmou, Patmos, Hiliomodi Patmou, Tragonisi, Arefoussa, Leipsoi, Megalo Aspronisi Leipson, Makry Aspronisi Leipson, Kouloura Leipson, Makronisi Leipson, Halavra, Imia, Fragos, Arhangelos, Faradonesia, Leros, Farmakos, Piganoussa, Pitta, Megalo Glaronisi, Mikro Glaronisi, Kalymnos, Kalolimnos, Kalavros Kalymnou, Telendos, Nero, Safonidi, Plati Pserimou, Pserimos, Levitha, Mavra Levithas, Glaros Kinarou, Kinaros, Kos, Gyali, Nisyros, Pergoussa, Paheia Nisyrou, Kandeloussa, Tilos, Antitilos, Gaidourosnissi Tilou, Seirina, Mesonisi Seirinas, Adelfoi Syrnas Islets, Kounoupoi, Koutsomytis, Hondro, Astypalaia, Fokionissia, Pontikoussa, Symi, Nimos, Marmaras, Kouloundros, Plati Symis, Sesklio, Halki, Agioi Theodoroi Halkis, Alimia, Makry Halkis, Prasouda, Rhodos, Strogulli Kritinias, Htenies, Karavolas Rodhou, Prasonissi Rodhou, Megalo Sofrano, Mikro Sofrano, Astakida, Kamilonisi, Saria, Karpathos, Kassos, Armathia, Makronissi Kassou, Rho, Kastellorizo (Megisti), Stroggyli Kastellorizou, Samos, Samopoula, Fournoi, Thymaina, Thymainaki, Alatonisi, Agios Minas, Megas Anthropofagos, Ikaria, Hios, Oinousses, Pasalimani, Psara, Antipsara, Lesvos, Sygrion, Tsakmakia, Samothraki, Zourafa, Thassos, Thassopoula, Alyki, Limnos, Sergitsi, Alatas, Agios Efstratios, Andros, Kapititas, Megalo, Tinos, Mykonos, Dilos, Rhineia, Nata, Syros, Gyaros, Kea, Makronissos, Kythnos, Piperi, Serifopoula, Serifos, Vous, Sifnos, Kitriani, Polyaigos, Kimolos, Agios Efstathios, Milos, Antimilos, Folegandros, Kardiotissa, Kalogiros, Sikinos, Antiparos, Delos, Ios, Stroggyli Parou, Despotiko, Antiparos, Paros, Glaroni, Pandros, Naxos, Santorini, Thirasia, Kammeni, Hristiana, Askania, Eskhati, Schoinoussa, Iraklia, Fidoussa, Kato Kouphonissi, Kouphonissi, Keros, Ano Antikeros, Kato Antikeros, Amorgos, Nikouria, Kramvonissi, Gramvoussa, Anydros Amorgou, Liadi Island, Anafi, Pahia Anaphis, Donoussa, Agios Nikolaos Donoussas, Htapodia Mykonou, Chrysi, Crete, Dia, Gavdos, Gavdopoula, Paximadhia Mesaras, Agioi Theodoroi Chanion, Theodoropoula, Agria Gramvousa, Imeri Gramvousa, Valenti Falasarnon, Elafonisos Kritis, Koufonisi (Lefki), Mikronisi Chrysis, Elasa, Gianisadha, Dragonadha, Paximadha, Kalydon (Spinalonga), Petalidi Dia, Santorini/Thera, Euboea, Petalioi, Megalos Petalios, Mandilou, Hersonisi, Styra, Lithari, Manolia, Trikeri (Thessalia), Antitrikeri (Thessalia), Alatas Trikeriou, Proti (Peloponnisos), Sapientza (Peloponnisos), Schiza (Peloponnisos), Ammouliani (Halkidiki), Marmaras (Halkidiki), Kefalonia (islet).
Have fun!
Gaspard

Old Dec 19th, 2007, 09:24 AM

Wow, that's an impressive list. Is it possible to do them all in a week?
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I can say that I am not interested in hard core partying...I might hit a bar or two, but that is not my reason for going to Mykonos. I guess I had Mykonos in mind because it's one of the "famous" islands in Greece...However, I am usually up for getting off the beaten path and although Naxos is becoming more and more popular, that could be a good alternative.

My main interests in travelling to Greece are to wander around the windy streets, see the white-washed architecture, visit the villages, and check out a couple of beaches along the way. I want to see the major ruins, but the ruins are not my top interest.

So, sticking with my original itinerary above, do you think I have enough time to cover Crete, Santorini & Mykonos (or Naxos)? Or am I rushing things??

Thanks everyone!!
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 10:25 AM

>>I was there in late May, and felt like I had the whole island to myself.<<

Not in June, though (Naxos, that is). I like Naxos, and if you look, you can find some interesting places - the mountain villages, the old town below the kastro, etc.

On the other hand, the whole length of the street along the harbor is blighted with cheap restaurants offering 'authentic Greek meals for €5', and Agiouarseniou St, that leads from St George Beach to the square, is lined with motorbike rental shops. The beaches, even Plaka, are now full of sun loungers.

Despite all that, I still like Naxos. It is in danger of being over-hyped on this board, though.
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 10:31 AM

Remember jet-lag. Or don't you suffer from it? My first two or three days in Europe contain limited sightseeing while I recover. So I might waste a lot of the time on Crete. I like flying into a city and staying there for a few days because there are numerous sightseeing options available day and evening. Not alas at 3 AM when I'm wide-awake.

In your case I'd consider flying into Santorini because the sightseeing there is less rigorous.
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 10:34 AM

It takes a minimum of a week to thoroughly explore Crete, but you will be able to see quite a lot in 4 days, especially if you can afford a rental car. Otherwise you'll basically be confined to one general area. Pick that area wisely.

I also think you can eliminate Mykonos for the same reasons that Jan stated. For your other islands I suggest Santorini and either Naxos or Paros. I personally think there's more to see and do on Paros, and if you want to see Delos excursions are available from both these islands. If you can manage a moped you'll have a great time exploring. They're easy to ride, no shifting of gears. They have automatic transmissions. All you need to coordinate is the accelerator and the brake.

In June you don't really need advance reservations for a room unless you have a specific hotel in mind, so why not just take it one island at a time? You might feel like staying longer or moving on sooner than anticipated. For me this is the best way to explore the islands.
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 11:34 AM

Wow, Gaspard, that's a nice list. But what should we do the SECOND week????
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 05:26 PM

Last year we spent two weeks in Western Crete and just scratched the surface. You have 12 days and propose to do several islands.
We are all different and some of us would prefer to do 12 islands in 12 days however for us Greece is about slowing down, enjoying the moment,sipping ouzo and watching people and the sun go down, 2 hour dinners, afternoon naps, and walking through tiny winding streets.
Based on our experience, I would suggest you spend all your time in Crete ( and you will probably not have enough time to explore the whole Island) or just concentrate on the Cyclades Islands.
Santorini is a must see for a first time Greece Visitor. Some people can spend weeks there and be captivated. For us a on avshort holiday, the Santorin Naxos combination is a sure winner. Santorini with it's spectacular caldera views and Naxos for it's year round permanent population, great beaches, mountain villages and antiquities give you a balanced vacation.
I reread your posting and do not see when you plan to travel. Our experience has been May and June which may not be a realistic representation of what it is like when the hoard of tourists and heat hit the Islands in July and August.
We have been shocked over how much time it takes to commute between close Islands like Paros and Naxos. Even the short ferry ride between Paros and Naxos can eat up the better part of a day when you take into account checking out of a hotel getting to the ferry and finding a hotel on another Islands. I truly believe that hitting fewer islands enhances your visit to your chosen destinations.
In my opinion Mykynos is overrated, overpriced and over hyped unless you are looking for party central.
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 08:17 PM

I would totally, completely and absolutely Crete. Your itinerary is quite similar to ours from a trip we took 4 years ago except we travelled the opposite direction.

We spent 4 nights on Crete - 2 in Iraklion and 2 in Chania. This did not give us any beach time on Crete but that was just fine as we had plenty on other islands. Our travel agent tried desparately to talk us out of going to Iraklion but we loved it. It's a lovely, interesting city with Knossos and a great museum to visit - but get that word "city". It's not a village, not a beach and not a resort. But it was awesome and we were very glad to have spent time there.

Chania is a wonderful place to visit as well. We hiked the Samaria Gorge during our stay and really enjoyed it.

Don't have any beach experience on Crete but I understand from reading other posts on this forum that there are plenty of options for this as well. We loved Crete, I recommend it and unless you are really looking to take things very very very slowly on your trip I think your itinerary is just fine.

We mostly spent 2 nights on each of the 6 islands we visited - would get there late morning/early afternoon via ferry and spend the rest of that day lazing about in the sun, near the ocean/pool whatever. The next day we would rent a car and spend the day touring the island, seeing the sights etc. Get up the next morning, move on to the next island and repeat the entire process. We found this to be a very nice pace to see the islands but still feel like we were relaxing.
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 04:30 AM

I would suggest you could spend a lifetime on Crete and never see it all.

BUT given your preferences, I'd miss it out this time. It's all about its ancient history- well, it's not- but you can get the other stuff other places.
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 08:12 AM

I spent 10 days on Crete (all over) and tried hard to like it but just could not, except for Knossos which was great. (Crete is the only place I've ever traveled to that I did not like.) I love the islands of Santorini, Paros, Naxos and Mykonos, though, as well as Delphi & the Meteora on the mainland. I even like Athens!

Moving as often as you are in the amount of time you have would be way too much for me. I think three hotels would be much better than four. Also, New York to Athens is a VERY long trip and I would strongly advise against scheduling another flight immediately after arriving in Athens. Aside from your exhaustion, there is just too much possibility of missing the connection and having to hustle to find a hotel in Athens. Who needs that kind of stress?

I'd stay in Athens for the first few days, and add another day or two so I could take a day trip to Delphi.