Notices

Lisbon: Highlights and Lowlights

Old Nov 6th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lisbon: Highlights and Lowlights

We have 4 full days in Lisbon in December. What are your recommendations for "must sees" and "must misses?" If we decided to allocate one day to a side trip out of the city, what place (s) would you recommend? And: is there is there one special restaurant you would recommend, if price was of no concern? Thank you for your tips . . .

---glenn
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 05:15 PM

Well glenn, I'm sure Lobo and others will join in, but in the meantime, here are a few suggestions:

Don't miss-
1. Geronimos, Belem and the Discoveries Monument (all within walking distance of each other). And do not bypass the famous pastries nearby.

2. Taking a trip over the Tagus to visit the Cristo Rei. At the top are some pretty incredible views of Lisbon and the look alike "golden gate" bridge.

3. For your daytrip, I would definitely do Sintra (by train from Lisbon).

4. Other sights downtown are Castelo de St. Jorge, The Santa Justa Elevadore, Rossio Square,and for the obvious highlight- an evening with the "LDC" or Lisbon Dining Club.

I love Lisbon. It holds a very special place in my heart so I cannot really think of the must miss things to do/see but this should get you started until others chime in.

Old Nov 7th, 2007, 01:47 AM

Hi team, I feel Namaka said it all.
Namaka, we are missing you in Lisbon!
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 03:35 AM

Highlight of our Lisbon stay was listening to Fado in the Alfalma
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 02:35 PM

Will the LDC be up and running the week between Christmas and New Year's?
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 02:48 PM

I just came back from Lisbon and had budgeted 4 days as well but due to Vueling's complete incompetence, there was a 7 hour delay so that meant I lost a day

I would highly recommend to go to Sintra, I actually regret not having more time there...I would even say to spend the night because there's so much to see. I loved that place!

I would also go to Alfama area and Sao Jorge castle...just walking around the neighbourhood and getting lost.

Personally, I would give Belem a miss...I don't see what the appeal...maybe someone can explain. I was disappointed with it.

Baixa area is another neighbourhood to visit...that's where I stayed.

I hope you're not flying Vueling...the worst airline by far!

Have a great time!
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 09:57 PM

Here's the thread to my Lisbon trip report last March.

Highlights: Oh, just about everything. I loved Lisbon and would go back.

Lowlights: Pickpockets on trams and trains. They really are everywhere so please keep your money hidden and safe.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 09:58 PM

Here's the thread to my Lisbon trip report last March.

Highlights: Oh, just about everything. I loved Lisbon and would go back.

Lowlights: Pickpockets on trams and trains. They really are everywhere so please keep your money hidden and safe.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...on+Trip+Report
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 02:59 PM

Don't miss the Gulbenkian Museum... a real highlight of our first visit. Also, there's a restaurant up at the castle which is quite charming (San Leo?) Friends were just there and enjoyed it.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 03:02 PM

I really enjoyed Sintra, Cascais and Estoril. The seafood was great. Lowlights?...dunno.
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 06:01 AM

The must sees would be the monuments and museums of the Belem district (the monastery, Belem Tower, Discoveries monument, Coaches Museum, Berardo Museum). If you like ancient art, see also the Gulbenkian and the Ancient Art Museum. Make sure you also go up to the castle for city views.

The must misses would be the fado clubs in Bairro Alto which are targeted at tourists and lower in quality than others found in the Alfama district. If you'd like to listen to Fado, consider Clube de Fado in Alfama.

For other "best of Lisbon" ideas, see the www.golisbon.com website.
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 06:38 AM

I would also recommend a visit to the monastery in Belem (Mosteiro dos Jerónimos). And then go and have the famous namesake custard pastry at Pasteis de Belem.

A round trip ride on Tram 28 is a great way to see a lot of the city center. The section that rides through the Alfama is fantastic!

For dinner, you may want to eat at Trindada (here is a really strange map on how to get there: http://www.cervejariatrindade.pt/default.asp?s=12171). It's at Rua Nova da Trindade 20 and is a cervejaria, meaning it's specializes in food that tastes good with beer. Great concept, huh?

If you have still have energy, go out at night in Bairro Alto. There are a lot of great little bars throughout this area, but it really doesnít get going until after midnight. One of my favorite cafes, Brasileira there. Itís a great place to grab a coffee and people watch.

Another not to be missed experience (if you drink alcohol) is sipping ginginha (cherry brandy) at the tiny bar Ginginha do Rossio, just off the Rossio on Largo de São Domingos 8. You canít miss it because there is usually a little crowd of people outside.
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 07:00 AM

Just bookmarking
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 07:17 AM

There is a very informative list of highlights in Lisbon and recommended day trips contained in the beginning of this long thread:

http://tinyurl.com/277bl9

This is a link to my trip report from July. The first part of it is set in Lisbon:

http://tinyurl.com/22j5hc

Photos:

http://tinyurl.com/2by623
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 02:38 AM
Original Poster

I just returned from my 4 days in Lisbon and wanted to thank everyone for their insights and tips and also wanted to add a few of my own. First, you can see alot and not wear yourself out covering Lisbon in 4 days if you stay in a cental location. We stayed at the Mundial and while it is a large tourist hotel, the location is fantastic (around the corner from Rossio), our room (#727)while small was modern and always clean, the front desk is helpful and the breakfast was very good (the eggs have improved!). We took a 1/2 day Gray Line tour of the city and found it to be a great orientation and very informatative (helpful stops/tours of Belem & Jeronimos & walk through Alfama). We did take Tram 28 and it is well worth it---with stops at the Castelo Jorge and Decorative Arts Museum. I would skip the Chiado area---not much left of the old intellectual life of Lisbon, except the Cafe Brasileira. For a nice (but not cheap) dinner in a great location, go down to the dock area under the ("Golden Gate") bridge---we liked Doca Peixe (try the Golden Breem fish). From Rossio, stroll down Rua Augusta for some nice shopping, people watching, street performers and end up at the arch near the water. On the way back stop at Cafe Brasileria (sp?) for great coffee and amazing pasteries. If you are thinking about day trips out of the city, there is Sintra for the castles and Cascais for the sheer beauty of the coast (I would love once to stay 3 days at one of the many 5-star hotels there). And finally, for a contrast with the old and historic Lisbon, venture out to Parque das Nacoes for a look at the sleek, modern Lisbon and, while there, don't miss the fabulous new acquarium.
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 03:10 AM

teambuilder. So glad you enjoyed Lisbon.
The city is wonderful and the people very friendly and welcoming.
On your next trip, you should try to stay on the Lisbon coast.
Thanks for posting.
Sherry
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 10:25 AM

another bookmarker