Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

To Amalfi or not to Amalfi? That is the question.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Firstly, thank you to everyone that has responded to previous posts. This forum in general has been an enormous help in my planning. With that said, I'm trying to finalize my itinerary. There is just one bit that is throwing me off: a coastal visit.

As of now, here is my itinerary:
Venice - 3 nights (day trip to Verona)
Florence - 4 nights (day trip bike tour to Chianti)
Lucca - 2 nights ( day trip to Pisa)
Siena - 3 nights (day trip to Montepulciano or other town TBD)
Perugia - 3 nights ( day trip to Assisi)
Amalfi Coast - 3 nights ( day trip to Pompeii/Mt Vesuvius)
Rome - 5 nights (last evening is kind of ruined with a way-too-early flight the next morning)

As of now I will be on the Amalfi Coast the last three nights of October, and I know the weather will be questionable. I really do want to see a coastal area, but with the way things are working out I will only get really about a day and a half to explore the AC. I'm just wondering if this will even be worth my time??? Pompeii is an absolute must on this trip for me, but I could always do that as a VERY long day trip from Rome. Would it make more sense to save Amalfi for a future trip when I have more time and the weather is a bit more reliable???

My other option is to do a 2 night visit to Cinque Terre after Lucca in place of Amalfi.

So what are your opinions Fodorites? Thanks again for all of your help!
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 04:54 PM

Hello mallory, personally I would add one more night to Venice so that you have three full days instead of just two full days, especially since you plan on going to Verona one of those days.

The Amalfi coast the end of October, I haven't been there at that time of the year. I will say the less you change hotels the more time you will have for sightseeing and enjoying down time. I would be inclined to perhaps add the two days to Rome and take the long day trip to Pompeii if you feel that would work for you or from Perugia go to Naples and of course visit Pompeii and spend a couple of nights and than go to Rome for your five nights there. I am sure others will have some ideas also. Have fun planning your trip!
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 05:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been to the Amalfitano in the last days of October. Maybe we were lucky, but the weather was perfect for sightseeing. We had about 20 minutes of rain one day while we were riding the Circumvesuviana, but otherwise temps were in the low 70s F and days were dry.

But I'd still probably save this area for another trip. I wouldn't substitute those nights in yet another hotel. (I think you have enough packing/unpacking in this trip.) I'd add the Amalfi nights (one each) to Venice, Florence and Perugia. There are many other day-trip options from Perugia: Gubbio, Cortona, Todi, Deruta, Spello, Trevi...

An early morning flight out of Rome does not alter my last night plans. I figure I can sleep on the plane and after I get home.
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 12:59 AM

'Would it make more sense to save Amalfi for a future trip when I have more time and the weather is a bit more reliable???'

Hi Mallory - Do you plan to return to Italy anytime soon? If not, I'd recommend finding time for Amalfi on this trip. (Maybe I hit lucky, but I've been there in early November ... and it was warm enough for a swim).

My suggestion would be 4 nights there (- at least) - to give you 3 full days to explore.

Lucca/Pisa are easily visited as a day-trip from Florence, so I think you could gain 1/2 nights for Amalfi there. JMO ...

Steve
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 03:52 AM

No Amalfi: take it for your next trip in Italy

Vincenzo
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 04:48 AM
ira

Hi M,

A: I would save the AC for later. Why not the Cinque Terre, instead?

B: Lucca and Pisa, and Siena are very easy daytrips from Florence. Do you really want to change hotels?

C: What draws you to Verona that you would skip a day in Venice?

Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 05:07 AM

Hi Mallory!

It looks like you're going to have a wonderful adventure - Italy was my first solo trip, and I had a magnificant trip; If yours is even half as much fun, you will have a fantastic time.

You mention a bike trip tour in Florence/Chianti - do you have a website link for that? I'm in the initial planning stages of a trip with my sister & brother-in-law, and he is an avid biker - it would be something we could all do, I would think.

Happy Travels!

Cyn
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Hey guys! Thanks for the input!

I initially had more nights in Venice, but took one away because I wasn't so sure if I'd enjoy it enough to take away from other places. I figured if I loved it SO much that I just couldn't tear myself away, I would skip the Verona side trip. If I do cut out Amalfi, though, I will definitely add one more day in Venice. Without having been there, it's hard to say whether I'm going to love it or hate it

I'm pretty set on all the overnight stays I have scheduled. I know they would all make easy day trips, but I'm okay with changing hotels a couple extra times to be able to enjoy some nights in different places.

cynstalker -- Thanks so much! I love exploring by myself, so I'm pretty excited to be doing this trip! I actually found two bike tours that both got a lot of great reviews on tripadvisor:
http://www.tuscany-biketours.com/index.php
http://www.persbikerides.com/index.html
I will most likely do the first, but Per's has a few more options. I think that would be a great way for y'all to enjoy something together!
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 11:58 AM

You will be spending very much time in Tuscany, so you might need a diversion.

Amalfi has enought attractions to keep you busy even if the weather is not good (usually, in October, it should be fine). You have Pompeii, Herculaneum, Vesuvius, Naples, Amalfi town, Capri, Positano, the Emerald Grotto, the Blue Grotto...

I would even skip a day or two in Tuscany and add it to Venice or Amalfi.

I think too that Verona is not worth a daytrip from Venice. I would rather see the Brenta canal and the Giotto (Scrovegni) Chapel in Padova.

Cinque Terre might be an option if you are fond of long hikes. But Amalfi has MUCH more to offer, especially if the weather is not so good.
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 12:14 PM
LJ

Search of weather sites for Amalfi for late October reveals a better than even chance of rain. October and November are the months with the most rain. Only you can judge your tolerance of dreary weather in a coastal town. You will find a number of things (restaurants/some shops) closed for the season: Italians are not interested in off-season resorts and keep their services to the minimum.
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 12:15 PM

If you want to squeeze in Verona, a city that IMO is worth more than a day trip, consider visiting on the way from Venice to Florence. It is only a little out of the way and has good connections to Florence. Perhaps overnight in Verona and take an early morning train to Florence as long as you do not mind changing hotels to spend the night in a place. IMO Verona at night is special. If you go to Verona, make sure you get to the Roman Theater. It is an easy and interesting walk from the center.

You would save back tracking from Verona to Venice and give yourself more touring and less train time.

As far as the Amalfi coast, you can have glorious weather any time of year (or not).
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

LJ- From what I have read, October is still quite busy in Amalfi. As for the rain, I will just have to decide if I want to take the chance
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 01:24 AM

My experience of rain on the Amalfi Coast in October (- on several visits) has been the occasional 20-mins downpour - rather than all day. Nothing to spoil a visit ...
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 05:17 AM

Thanks for the links Mallory. Hope you have a safe and joyous trip.

Cyn
Old Sep 5th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Alright kids. I've decided to rearrange some things a bit so I can spend four days on the Amalfi Coast. Thanks so much for all of your help!