Search

Italy in October - need help with itinerary

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2003, 08:29 AM
jmp
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy in October - need help with itinerary

Hi - -My husband and I are planning a trip to Italy for either Sept or Oct 2003 for 10 days. I definately want to go to the Amalfi Coast - -so that is one part of the trip. Not sure about the other half of the trip. Here are my questions, any advice is appreciated:

1. How many days should I spend in the Amalfi Coast?

2. I have been to Florence, Rome, Venice and Sicily, but my husband has not -- which would you recommend? Is it possible to visit Venice and Rome (as well as Amalfi) or is that too tight?

3. Is Sept/Oct a good time to visit Italy? Are things still open?

4. I am trying to use my AA ff miles to upgrade, but it seems impossible, probably the only way is to connect in Zurich.

Here are some of my ideas:
We were thinking of flying to Rome,taking the train the same day to Amalfi, spend 4-5 nights there and then make our way back to Rome (either stay in Rome or go to Florence or Venice).

thanks
What do you think?
Old May 28th, 2003, 08:40 AM

JMP- Sept. and Oct. are both beautiful months in Italy, for the Amalfi coast I prefer Sept. as far as your itinerary its a matter of preference I usually fly in from the west coast and take a day in Rome and then go to the coast.
Are you planning on being on Amalfi or are you interested in other towns, as well?
You could spend anywhere from 5-7 days on the coast, and do an easy side trip to Florence, maybe vist som wineries in Tuscany.
There are tons of posts on this board about the Amalfi Coast and Italy.
I like www.karenbrown.com for hotel recommendations.
la dolce Italy
Fluffy
Old May 28th, 2003, 08:43 AM

September/October are among the best times of the year to visit Italy.
You could do the Amalfi Coast, Rome and Venice in 10 days, but I wouldn't recommend. It would be a bit of a rush, especially since I assume you'd have to return to Rome for your flight home. Ten days on the Amalfi coast and Rome sounds good to me!
Old May 28th, 2003, 08:47 AM

We are planning the same (Sep or OCt)!!! I would love to know other people experiences there.

Also I want to do some shopping and somebody told me that October is good for sales.
Old May 28th, 2003, 09:24 AM

I visited the Amalfi Coast at the end of October 3 years ago - and the weather was wonderful. We wore shorts during the day and light pants or skirts at night - maybe needing a light sweater. Rome was also temperate. It was a little chillier in Venice but still extremely pleasant.

As much as I loved Venice, it is very out of the way from Amalfi and Rome. You could go to Amalfi, Rome, and Florence in 10 days and that might be a little easier.

Have fun!
Karen
Old May 28th, 2003, 10:27 AM

I am also going to Italy in October, and have 14 nights. I am including Florence, Rome, the Amalfi Coast and a stay in Tuscany. If you drop Tuscany, my plan is fly into Rome, train immediately to Florence (3 nights), train to Naples and take the hydrofoil to Capri (2 nights), take the hydrofoil to Sorrento and sight-see the coast on the way up to Ravello (2 nights), then train back to Rome (3 nights).

Some people would prefer 4 nights in Sorrento or Positano, but we wanted to overnight on Capri and attend the concert in Ravello. You could also easily split the time 5/5 for Rome and the coast, and split your coast time at two locations.