Reload this Page >

Tivoli Christmas Market

Search

Tivoli Christmas Market

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 05:53 AM
carolyn

Tivoli Christmas Market

A family of 4 with 2 kids are going to the Tivoli Christmas Market in December. Has anyone ever been? Any good, cheapish nearby hotels? Any other 'must sees' for this weekend visit? Restaurant recommendations?

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 06:08 PM
Anna

Depends on what you mean by cheapish. A decent hotel, very close to Tivoli, is the Danmark. Search Danmark on this site and you will find it has been recommended many times. We paid about $135 USD for a twin room, ensuite, in 1999, which was reasonable for Copenhagen. Around the corner from the Danmark is the Danish National Museum, which has an excellent children's museum contained within, and free internet access in the media room. Consider a visit to Rosenborg Palace where the crown jewels are. Very cool throne room on the third floor with a pair of huge silver lions. My kids loved it. If your kids are older, the Danish Resistance Museum is excellent. Free admission every day.

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 07:03 AM
Steve

If you've never been to Copenhagen or have never been to the Christmas markets in Germany, you will probably enjoy the Tivoli market. In the evening Tivoli is brighly and colorfully lit, with fireworks . . . some people complain about the "amusement park" atmostphere.<BR><BR>Can't say about the cheapish hotels. Too subjective. I stay at the Radisson Scandinavia, about $150 per night. Im told that the Danmark and the Palace are good. Kong Frederick is very near downtown . . .I've heard good and bad about it.<BR><BR>Walk the Stroget, a mile-long pedestrian only shopping street which starts at the Town Hall Square (R&aring;dhuspladsen) and ends at Kongens Nytorv near Nyhavn. About half way down the Stroget you'll come to Helligands Church and just behind that you'll find Gr&aring;br&oslash;dre Torv or Grey Friars Square. There's a restaurant called Peder Oxe which I have always found to be very good and reasonable. There are other restaurants on the square as well.<BR><BR>Not many people respond to posts on the Denmark side of this forum. I'll be glad to post more if you'd like. I spent about 6 months there on business and have spent a week or two there every year for the last 10 years.<BR><BR>Steve

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 07:42 PM
tjc

All might enjoy the military parade thatleaves from Rosenborg,I believe at 12noon, and you can follow along to the Queen's residence to watch the changing of the guard. On one of the canal boat rides you'll see the city from a different point of view. The HopOn/HopOff bus is a reasonably priced way to see the sights and have some transportation). Many locals will come to town for the Tivoli Christmas events.It is magical;can be chilly; I might even remember fireworks late at night.Be sure to shop for a paper cut-out ornament. There is a Hard Rock Cafe right at Tivoli's entrance. Not cheap, but you can't beat the location. A favorite Danish dining place that my kids enjoy is the Kobenhavner Cafeen, located at Badstuestraede 10(walk along the Stroget in the direction of Nyhavn.When you get to the Athlete's Feet store, make a right)It's a small,not stuffy,sit down restuarant - with the best veal! Enjoy.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 12:28 AM
notsure

Just a bit of info--checked out the Tivoli and other Copenhagen sites last night, noticed that the hop on/off buses only go til the end of Oct.