Tips for Winter Trip to Capri?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any hints (to see / to do / to eat) for a December trip to Capri? My husband and I can never agree to vacations -- he always wants to be outdoors swimming, fishing, hiking. I like the indoors-- shopping, cafes, museums. So we thought we'd try something totally different and go to Capri. We hear a lot of the island closes in the winter, but it's our only chance to get away for a while. Neither of us has ever even been to Italy before -- what do you wear? Is it dressy? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 10:30 AM

Capri is a summer resosrt and many places will be shut for the season. It is reachable only by boat and if the water is rough - as can happen in the winter - you can get neither to nor from the island. And you can't see the Blue grotto since the opening is so small you can get in oly when the sea is very still.

And no - it won;t be dressy - since it wil be almost all locals - not tourists.

I can;t imagine what you would do there in the winter. If you've never been to Italy why not go to one or two cities - where the cool/cold weather and rain won;t matter so much?
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 10:39 AM

Roman Emperor Tiberius had a villa on a cliff about a 1,000 feet above the sea on Capri's east end (i think east) and the remains are open to tourists.
Try not to think of the completely revolting pleasures that Tiberius delved into here - of such decadent debauchery that many morally jaded Romans even found revolting and may have led to his suspected murder here.
The History Channel recently had a special on Rome and its brutal morality and talked about Tiberius spending his last several years here as emperor, never leaving the island. And his well known lust for having sex with kids of both sexes was played out to disgusting lengths here (the though of having sex with adolescents is revolting enough but when he was tired with one of his 'minions' he would then have them thrown off the 1000 foot cliff into the sea.
Anyway a fascinating site in light of its macabre history. It's called the Villa Jova.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 11:13 AM

Given what you say are your interests and your husband's interests, I don't think either of you are going to be happy. It will be too cold for many outdoor activities he enjoys and there are very few indoor activities on the island.

How about Tuscany/Lazio? Although December will be chilly there as well, you could base yourselves near the hot springs, and you could get a place with a fireplace. And you could easily drive to fascinating hilltowns. Walking up to them will keep you warm.

Do a google search for Saturnia, Vetralla, Vitorchiano and areas around Lago Bolsena. (Your husband might even get in some fishing.)

On rainy days, hop on the train in Orvieto or Viterbo to Roma.

Old Aug 25th, 2006, 05:45 PM

The villa Jovis is indeed interesting - esp if you know anything of Tiberius and it's history. But it is best seen in the spring or summer - for which it was built - not the middle of winter in the rain, wind and cold.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 06:40 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Capri simply isn't a winter destination. The logisitics are just too difficult and most everything will be closed. You haven't been to Italy - so you can have a lovely city vist to Rome or Rome/Florence. Either would be fine in Dec (though cold for sure). Cities in Italy don't shut for the winter - but islands do . . . .
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 08:14 PM

Dianaa,

I lived on Capri in November/December and you will be fine to go for a visit. Yes, many things close, but the island is so quiet and beautiful at that time of year. There are hardly any tourists.

The water can be rough, but as long as you don't suffer from sea sickness, I don't think it will be a problem. If it is too rough, the hydrofoils will not run, but the large ferry from Naples will still go. I lived there for 8 months and never got stuck on the island. Something would always run.

Some hotels and restaurants will close, but enough things will be open for you to enjoy.

As far as the weather goes, it will most likely be in the 50s. I would advise you to find out in advance if your hotel will have heat, because a bit of the Naples area does not. If they don't, be prepared for some cold shower exits!

Hiking will be fine at that time of year as long as you are dressed appropriately. Villa Jovis, the walk to Grotta Matermania and the Arco Naturale, the Belvedere and Monte Solaro are all hikes that you could take. (And there are plenty more where that came from.)

To be honest, you will not find a lot for yourself. Your husband will probably be happier with this trip than you. The "shopping/cafe" side of the island comes out more in summer.

Dressing on Capri during the winter is very different than during the summer. Less fashion, more functionality.

If you want a laid back, cool-weather, non-tourist-laden, island experience, then I think you'll be fine.

Check out http://www.umbertodaniello.com/gallery.php
He takes most of his Capri photos in the winter. They are stunning.

Hope this helps.

Old Aug 26th, 2006, 05:05 AM

nnolen,

Do you think there is any advantage to going to Ischia, with its hot springs?
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 05:42 AM

I would join those who caution you NOT to go to Capri this time of year. Why set your first trip to Italy up to be something less than ideal? Nnolen's reassurances not withstanding, there are so many better places to be in Italy that time of year. Yes, Capri will no doubt be pretty in December, but it will be so QUIET with many places closed. So much of a place is its ambience, and you will miss out on the ambience most people go to Capri for. If you mix Florence and Rome with some walking in Umbria or Apuglia (for instance), it seems like both you and your husband could be happy.
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 06:03 AM

nnolen's thoughts are correct. Capri would be a fine place in winter -- for someone who had been to Italy many times, or who lives in Italy and needs to get away from it all for a few days. And I do mean away from it <u>all</u>.

For your very first visit to Italy you really should go somewhere where you can see/do things
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 06:20 AM

I'm going to strongly disagree with the notion (as I always do) that a &quot;first trip&quot; to Italy has to be -- what? A tourist tour? An educational tour?

I rarely if ever see advice like that given to people who want to go to the Greek Islands, or the Canary Islands, or San Sebastian or even the Cote d'Azur. Nobody tells people that for their first trip to France they can't go to Brittany, or for their first trip to Spain they can't go to Asturias. Or even that for one's first trip to the UK you can't go to Scotland. Or Florida for a first trip to the US?

What *is* it about Italy that makes people think it either must be experienced in a certain order or that you can't just enjoy a piece of it for the first time -- and maybe never go back?

Inquiring minds want to know.

By the way, here's an article I stumbled across this morning about Ischia in December. Sounds pretty good!

http://www.roadandtravel.com/travel%.../rr/ischia.htm

Old Aug 26th, 2006, 07:43 AM

I go to Capri for the physical beauty of the place and to have it almost all to myself would be heaven, as long as it didn't rain every day.
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 08:21 AM

nessundorma: No one said a first trip to Italy shouldn't be to Capri. Only that for someone who had never been to Italy -- winter in Capri doesn't offer much.

I would make the same suggestion for someone traveling to the UK or the US or anywhere. For a first trip, going somewhere in so very, very off season that everything is closed and the boats may not sail, could be a problem.

Same w/ the Isle of Skye, or Alaska or parts of Spain, or everywhere.
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 08:45 AM

janis, I think the responses would have been different if the OP had not revealed she'd never been to Italy before. And as nnolen has since pointed out, there are regular boats from Napoli in December. Napoli around Christmastime is someplace I would very much like to visit.

After I read that article about Ischia, which reported temperatures of 45-55 degrees Farenheit in December, I thought it was a plausible destination -- although Dianaa would not get much if anything of what she is looking for in the way of museums, but Napoli is right there for day trips.

I've gone to many beach destinations, especially in the northeast, in the winter months. I like that feeling. When I was on the Amalfi in spring, I avoided Capri entirely just because of the mob scene. (Maybe when I'm in Napoli some December, I'll go if it's a sunny day!)

The problem with the off season in the destinations you named is that the weather can be downright miserable to the point of deadly. Capri may be gray and rainy and chilly, but it is hardly torture. It could even be sunny and pretty.

Anyway, Dianaa has a range of views. If she settles on going to Capri, I only recommend that she inquire about heating when booking a room, and a solarium is something I would want, too.
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks for these great responses. But I guess I'm in for it now, as I do get seasick and we're already committed to our Capri winter trip-- bought all tix and made all reservations. Oh well, I'm up for an adventure (ready or not.)We'll have to check out the Villa Jovis. And the winter photos of Capri were gorgeous, nnolen. If anyone knows of Capri attractions that will be open or accessible in December, I'd love to hear about anything else you can think of. Thanks again!
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 11:39 AM

I think you should invest some time in doing research about Napoli and what you might like to see and do there. It has great museums, churches, cafes and shopping.

Be sure to come back and tell everybody what Capri is like in December!
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 01:53 PM

Dianaa-

<b>Anacapri:</b>

The seggiovia (chairlift up to Monte Solaro, highest point on the island and a fantastic vantage point) is open from 10:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.

Villa San Michele (the home of Axel Munthe) is open from 9:00 - 3:30.

You could walk to the Villa Damecuta (Roman ruins), which is outdoors and has no hours.

Chiesa San Michele – the church of San Michele, with beautiful Majolica floor tiles (built 1719). Church hours.

La Casa Rossa (the red house) – built by Colonel Cay H. Mackowen (U.S.) – Contains an art exhibit on Capri. Can't find hours, but know it's open.

Capri in Miniatura (Miniature Capri). Can't find hours, but pretty sure it's open.

Scala Fenicia – The Phoenician Steps – in long past times, the only way to get from Capri to Anacapri. Fun to go down – much less fun to go up: ergo, begin in Anacapri.

<b>Capri:</b>

Carthusia Profumeria – The Carthusia perfume factory (go to the lab near the Gardens of Augustus). Can't find hours, but there are 5 shops on Capri. 1 should be open.

Via Krupp – outdoor walk

The Gardens of Augustus (outdoors)

Arco Naturale (Natural Arch – hike)

Villa Jovis – Hike

Pizzolungo/Matermania – Hike (can be combined with Arco Naturale)

Marina Grande

Marina Piccola

Hope this is enough for you to do!
-nnolen