Tips for Italy

Apr 7th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Tips for Italy

My husband and I are traveling to Italy end of May and will get train reservations, but thought we could be spontaneous with hotels, monasteries, b and b's, etc. since its early in season?? Also, what is good to wear? As in not "standing out" as Americans? thanks!!!!
Apr 7th, 2009, 02:31 PM

You can find your previous posts and answers to them by clicking on your name.

Whether or not you can be spontaneous depends on where you want to go and how willing you are to put up with less than ideal accommodations, or spending a lot of time looking.

As for what to wear -- comfortable.

As for not sticking out as americans -- why do you care? Italians don't care that they look Italian when they go the US. But in general, Italian women do not wear flannel men's shirts or running shoes with crew socks and bermuda shorts and baseball caps. Men do no wear bermuda shorts with flowers on them or Izod shirts.
Apr 7th, 2009, 02:39 PM

It might seem like end of May is early in the season but the weekends of May 22 and May 29 are holiday weekends in UK and the Continent this year which can mean available accomodations are more likely booked.
Apr 7th, 2009, 02:43 PM

We are Americans and travel to
Europe often. I agree, what is the deal? We dress normally, except for comfy shoes and off we go.. I take several scarfs to take the boredom away from my standard black, brown and combos of the above.
I couldn't tell you what one person wore in all the times we have been. Well, yes one. One rainy night in Rome as we were leaving the Navrrona area I stumbled upon a scarf on the ground. When we arrived back in our apartment, I spread it out. It was a stunning beautiful signed Gucci scarf. It was the size of a small tablecloth. And the perfume smell, oh la la! I used it do design the colors of the house we were building at the time. What a great memory! Brownley
Apr 7th, 2009, 03:24 PM

Well said, Zeppole !
Apr 7th, 2009, 05:35 PM

May is not THAT early in the season . . .