What to wear in Rome

Search

What to wear in Rome

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to wear in Rome

Ok, I have read the posts on proper attire when in Rome & I don't think it really helps. One person says one thing & others say something else. I need to know the what the real deal is on attire. My family & I will be in Rome for 2 days then it's off to Tuscany for the rest of our vacation. Thanks for any help.
Old May 29th, 2005, 12:10 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
If you expect everyone to agree with each other, you've come to the wrong place. In the many, many discussions here about clothing, I have never seen a consensus. If you read the discussions, see which school of thought makes most sense to you and then follow it.
Old May 29th, 2005, 12:14 PM

I'm not trying to be a wise guy here. Honest injun I am not , but here is a wonderful new concept on travel fashions.

Ahhh, why not wear the cloths for the time of season . Yanno, clothing that you and others would find stylish here in the good ole US of A as well as abroad.

This idea that you can not dress in American fashions (white sneakers) is a downright silly idea that I have seen posted on here many many times #-o

Just wear what you think looks good and care not what someone else thinks about it!!

Hopefully one day people will be able to wear tasteful cloths to Europe without having to worry what some travel snob thinks about it.[-O<
Old May 29th, 2005, 12:17 PM

My first priority would be a comfortable pair of shoes. After that it depends on what time of the year you are going!
Old May 29th, 2005, 12:18 PM

You first question here about a trip to Italy and your primary concern is "what to wear?". Are you for real?

The "real deal" on attire would involve any combination of comfort + ease + common sense + practicability. If you're worried about what's in style - don't.
Old May 29th, 2005, 12:28 PM

I have seen many American travelers as well as Euro travelers wear shirts and ball caps with the logos of American sports teams.

I have made the mistake of doing the Atlanta Braves tomahawk chop to some European tourist who knew not the heck what I was doing He was a Braves cap. whhheww #:-S

But I know there are those in here, because I have seen their postings who think wearing such cloths is sooooo dreadfully American

I usually wear shorts and hiking boots in Switzerland. I wear a longsleave pullover on the hikes, but I am 5,00-9,000 or so feet above it all so I need warmer cloths. About 11,000 feet on one hike at the Schwartzhorn in the Grindlewald area.
Old May 29th, 2005, 06:35 PM

Joalang, I was in the frock trade for years in Manhattan, working for a major American designer--Todd Oldham. I know a lot about fashion. However, I am sick to death of posts like yours that ask for advice without furnishing any details. What time of year will you be in Rome? What is your budget? What will you be doing in Rome? How old are you? Until you get with the program and give us all a clue as to what you are looking for, I am remaining silent.

Besides, sunstar is right. If you don't care what you look like, no one will care about you either.
Old May 29th, 2005, 07:12 PM

Having just returned and having put a lot of thought into packing I think another poster on a similar thread put it best. If you would be considered well dressed in any major US city you will be fine. That said there is so much variety and so many tourists that no one really cares. You will be instantly identified as a tourist and really is that so bad?
Old May 29th, 2005, 09:57 PM

ThinGorjus-

I'm new here, but I have seen your SN on many posts. I never realized you worked for Todd Oldham. When I lived in the States, my apartment was 90% Todd Oldham, 10% Pottery Barn. Just saying, I have a newfound respect for you having worked for such a great, fun and funky designer!
Old May 29th, 2005, 10:30 PM

Hello Joalang51 Truly, what to wear does require your knowing what the temps will be when you are in Rome. Are you going in July and/or August or in November. As anywhere that would make quite a difference in what you would pack.

What type of a visit to Rome do you plan on? Will you be enjoying pizza for dinner usually or do you plan on going to upscale restaurants?

At home, do you live in a large metropolitan city? If not, do you ever go to a large city near your hometown? How do you dress there?

Do you love clothes and do you enjoy keeping up with the latest styles or do you tend to wear pretty much the same clothing year in and year out?

All of these these things would predicate what you should take to Rome.

You will see white atheletic shoes, jean, shorts, Tshirts, sweatshirts etc. to the most uptodate clothing that it is sexy and quite "in the moment".

You will be in Rome with your family for 2 days you say. I would assume that you will be wandering around trying to see as much as possible during this time. So I (again not knowing what period of time you will be in Rome but assume it will be this summer) would wear clothing that is ladylike but appropriate for hot weather. And shoes that will allow you to walk a lot without being miserable.

If you plan on going to the Vatican do wear clothing that covers you knees and shoulders or you will not be allowed in. Again, assuming you will be in Rome this summer I would pack skirts/short sleeve tops. If you are going to an upscale restuarant I would pack a dress. But it is hard to really answer your question not knowing any detail of your visit to Rome. But let me say dressing in a dignified and ladylike manner will never be out of place.

And do enjoy every moment you have in beautiful Rome. It is such a vibrant and interesting city. Best wishes for a beautiful time in Italy.
Old May 29th, 2005, 10:40 PM

Dare I say it?

When in Rome, just do (and wear) as the Romans do (and wear).
Old May 29th, 2005, 11:26 PM

Mat03, the problem is i don't think that Joalang knows what the Romans do or wear. That is the problem. Hmmm, maybe better to not know what the Romans do perhaps, LOL.
Old May 30th, 2005, 03:33 AM

I donīt think Romans care what some tourist wears. And thus, why would a tourist care as long as s/he has clothes on.
Old May 30th, 2005, 06:42 AM

Dear all - We are a family of 4 (2 kids ages 11&13). I too am a bit concerned about our upcoming trip next week (yes,we leave next Sunday!)Venice,Florence,Tuscany,&Rome. I read alot and became a bit concerned. My 11 year old daughter wears Lily Pulizer cloths alot and shorter skirts & capri pants...this will not work at the Vatican. She can wear jeans there. I believe my son is ok with his cloths. For me - I appreciate the skirts and tops suggested by this thread. I am a bit confused about shoes since I know I will be walking all over town. I read on other posts that most men in Italy wear jeans and tourists are the ones wearing shorts. Thoughts? I really want to bring all the neccessary clothes - avoid shopping in Italy - and concentrate on seeing the sites and taking in the rich history and beauty! Will my husband and son need to bring a sports coat & tie?
Old May 30th, 2005, 07:58 AM

We are returning to Italy in September. I bought my two pairs of shoes for the trip several months ago and wearing them now to break them in. I would suggest getting your shoes now and wearing them all summer. I can guarantee that you will see all kinds of fashion on your trip, so don't worry too much.
Old May 30th, 2005, 08:53 AM

The way I figure is, you're going to look like a tourist anyway, so you might as well dress comfortably--even if that means white sneakers. Comfortable shoes, IMO are the most important.
Old May 30th, 2005, 09:13 AM
cmt

<<Ok, I have read the posts on proper attire when in Rome & I don't think it really helps. One person says one thing & others say something else.>>

Then why start yet another thread that will elicit the same range of diverse opinions on the same question that you've seen many times?
Old May 30th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Gee, sorry I asked but thanks to all the other "nice" people who answered.
Old May 30th, 2005, 02:05 PM

Honestly, I think a good toga never goes out of fashion.
Old May 30th, 2005, 06:12 PM

I think it is perfectly okay to ask what to wear to a country that you have never been to before. I don't think the style is so much the issue here, I think it is more like what is appropriate. I went to Mexico City (summertime) as a teenager for the first time with shorts, sundresses and tank tops......I had to borrow my cousins clothes the whole time because it was not appropropriate (and believe me, it was not an issue of distastefull, simply not appropriate).

I myself would like to know if tank tops, sundresses, flip flops and halter tops are appropriate for summertime in rome. I don't care about being in style, I just want to be comfortable.....but don't want to be "inappropriate" for a city that the pope lives ; )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -