Tipping the shuttle driver...how much is [email protected]

Aug 16th, 2002, 11:52 AM
Ricky

Tipping the shuttle driver...how much is [email protected]

We (2 of us) will be in Paris next month and plan to use one of the shuttle services that pick you up at CDG and deliver you right to your hotel.

I understand the fare for 2 will be about 34 Euros. Having never used this type of service before, I am unfamiliar with tipping etiquette. What do you suggest?

Aug 16th, 2002, 12:07 PM
Sue

I usually tip 1€ per large bag.

Aug 16th, 2002, 12:10 PM
mpprh

Hi

European employees are normally paid well for the job they do.

Its not the same as US minimum wage, must make tips to survive.

Please only give tips for exceptional service. Otherwise people expect it !

Peter
http://tlp.netfirms.com

Aug 16th, 2002, 12:14 PM
Grasshopper

Based on your fare I would tip 5 Euros. Sorry, Peter. I just feel better when I indicate my appreciation for a service with a personal tip.

Aug 16th, 2002, 12:21 PM
Martine

mpprh is right.Give only something for an exceptional service. Here in Europe is is not common to give an extra tip. However, when your driver see you are American, he wil expect a tip because you all do so. In fact you spoil the whole economy.

Aug 16th, 2002, 12:28 PM
Grasshopper

Martine, Given that logic, we are not ruining the economy as you say. Rather we are just setting expectations for other Americans.

Aug 16th, 2002, 12:29 PM
Stefen

We European drivers do not expect any tips but if you put some money in my hand what I suppose to do? I will take it but if you think I expect any tip because you are from America then you are wrong. I get pay well and I like my job.

Aug 16th, 2002, 12:32 PM
Martine

Stefen,you are right and in fact you did agree with me.

Aug 16th, 2002, 12:36 PM
Belinda

Stefen, If you are for real, I would like to interview you for a book I'm working on. If you are willing to participate, please email me.

Aug 16th, 2002, 12:53 PM
REDRUM

n the States tipping is completely overboard. The whole purpose for a tip is this:

A person has a job and gets paid to do that job. When said person does something for you OVER & BEYOND the normal perimeters of that job they should receive (or not receive) a tip as per the disposition of the person they’re serving.

Contrary to the popular American myth, A tip IS NOT AN ENTITLEMENT. It doesn’t just automatically go with the territory.

Recently we were having a quick meal at a small buffet in Los Angeles. We approached the register, paid for our meals, then did the prison shuffle for a tray, cutlery, our food. We went to our table where we seated ourselves and a perky young lady arrived with our glasses so that we could get up and get our own beverages. She left us her card with the “HI, I’m Amy and I’m you’re server…” crapola.

I couldn’t believe that in small print on the bottom the card read, “our staff appreciates your gratuity.”

For WHAT???

It is odd to me that I might be expected to leave sweet Amy the tip, but I would much rather have tipped the cook who made a hell of a great pot of chili.

People tip postmen, waiters, guys who park their cars, any sort of delivery person. What’s next, I tip the guy who reads my electric meter? For what? For just doing their job? Puh-lease.

Aug 16th, 2002, 01:02 PM
Duke

The minimum wage is now $6.45 per hour. That means you can hire someone for an hour's work for $6.45. This is a good benchmark.

If someone does 3 minutes work I have a hard time giving them big bucks. On the other hand if the shuttle driver loads your bags and unloads your bags, drives well and does a good job...tip him about 10%. You will never see him again, but maybe he will continue to do great work for all customers. If he does not do a good job, like most LA taxi drivers that speak no English, don't know where they are going and drive a dirty cab, just pay the fee and say Thank You.

I tip for good service only. I do not tip for poor service just because the guy showed up.