Which arrondissement to stay in Paris?

May 10th, 2002, 05:11 AM
Ling

Which arrondissement to stay in Paris?

Hi, I am planning a trip to Paris this summer and would like some advice on which area to stay in. This will be my first time in Paris and I will be travelling alone on a budget. I'd like to do a lot of walking and sightseeing, both to the historic buildings as well as the lively shopping areas. I heard that the Metro is not very safe for solo travellers after dark -- is that true? It seems that 4e, 5e, 6e and 7e arrondissements are popular tourist areas, what are their individual characteristics? Which area do you think might suit me? And any suggestions on hotels ( at around $100/night ) safe for solo travellers?

May 10th, 2002, 05:44 AM
elvira

Metros are safe at night, with a couple of stations (like Barbes) iffy. I have been in Paris solo many times, and never felt unsafe in the metro (except for the aforementioned Barbes station).

The 5eme, 6eme and 7eme are great for tourists because they are near most of the major sights, have lots of hotels of all price ranges, and are chock full of restaurants, cafes, bistros, etc.

The 5eme is most of the Latin Quarter - full of students, artists, poets, etc. Lively nightlife - lots of pizza parlors!

6eme - a little of the Latin Quarter, but lots of chic shops, good restaurants, middle to upper-middle class residents. Quieter than the 5eme, but near Boul' Mich there are still some late night venues.

7eme - quiet, old money residential, not the lively street scene found in the other two arrondissements, but close to the Eiffel Tower, Rodin Museum.

Any of the three will work; each will give you a different piece of Paris life.

Many posts about hotels on this site; another possibility is a dorm room. The universities rent out the dorms during the summer to travelers - inexpensive and lots of folks to keep you company.

If I stay in a hotel on the Left Bank, it's the Delhy Hotel on rue l'Hirondelle - two steps away from Boul' Mich on a very quiet pedestrian-only street; RER and metro just a stone's throw away. English speaking staff who are very nice and helpful.

May 10th, 2002, 07:44 PM
Elizabeth

Elivira, thanks for the input.The infor was very helpful. We are two women in our twenties that is traveling in May to Paris. We are staying at the Gare L'est. Has anyone heard anything about this hotel. What about the area?

May 11th, 2002, 04:12 PM
Nancy

Last May I stayed in the 7th on street over from rue Cler. I rented a studio apartment so can't comment on the hotels but friends have stayed in one on rue Cler and I pretty sure they paid under $100. I was solo for 2 weeks out of the month I spent in Paris and felt very safe in this neighborhood. There are a lot of restaurants/cafes, the metro is close by as is the Eiffel Tower. I don't believe the metro is unsafe at night. There are so many people about that I would not be worried. I didn't do "after dark" exploring when by myself but I don't think I would have felt unsafe. It will probably be light until at least 9:00 pm. If you'd like any specific info I may have, please e-mail me directly.

May 13th, 2002, 05:17 AM
SafeSleep

Elizabeth wrote: we are two women in our twenties that is traveling in May to Paris. We are staying at the Gare L'est. Has anyone heard anything about this hotel. What about the area?

I wouldn't like to sleep in that area because it has a lot of small crime--pickpockets, street hustler cons, etc. It's noisy and polluted because of the train station and car traffic. Gare means train in French, so I don't know if you gave a hotel or neighborhood name? If there is a hotel with that name I can't find it in my guide books.

May 13th, 2002, 05:30 AM
Ursula

Elizabeth:
Here are the hotels, that have "Gare de l'Est" in their names and which I found with the web page of the Paris Tourist Office. It's not an aera one would really like to spend the evenings or nights in Paris. It's unlikely they figure in popular travel books about Paris. Anyway, here they are:

COMFORT HOTEL GARE DE L'EST
31 Boulevard de Strasbourg 75010 PARIS
Metro: Ch‰teau d'Eau
Tel: 01.47.70.25.00 - Fax : 01.47.70.32.17
Ê
IBIS PARIS GARE DE L'EST BLD DE STRASBOURG 10EME
5-6 rue Saint-Laurent 75010 PARIS
Metro: Gare de l'Est
Tel: 01.40.38.05.05 - Fax : 01.42.05.71.16
Ê
IBIS PARIS GARE DE L'EST CHATEAU LANDON 10EME
197 Rue La Fayette 75010 PARIS
Metro: Ch‰teau Landon
Tel: 01.44.65.70.00 - Fax : 01.44.65.70.07
Ê
RELAIS MERCURE PARIS GARE DE L'EST
1-3 Rue de Ch‰teau Landon 75010 PARIS
Metro: Ch‰teau Landon
Tel: 01.44.65.33.33 - Fax : 01.44.65.33.20
Ê

May 13th, 2002, 08:46 AM
Sue

Ling, I just got back from Hotel Clement in the 6th and think it might fit your bill. It is near the Mabillon metro stop (if you don't have a Paris map, get one), smack dab in the middle of things. It's within walking distance of the 5th and Ile de la Cite, the river, the Orsay, etc. Lots of restaurants and shopping in the area. Plus it's got A/C. No singles, but doubles run from 105-123 euro.

You can see it (and book it) at
http://digital.france.com/hotels/hot...ml?HotelID=479

May 14th, 2002, 04:48 AM
Ling

Sue, thanks for the information. I did check at the website but the hotel is already fully booked. Still, do you have the contact number of this hotel? Perhaps I could talk to them directly and see if there is still room available.

Anyone has other hotels to recommend?

May 14th, 2002, 08:34 AM
Sue

Hi, Ling. It's 011-33-143-26-53-60.

May 14th, 2002, 08:42 AM
elaine

Hi Ling
Like others, I have been to Paris on my own. I have a file on it; if you'd like to see it, email me.

Jun 11th, 2002, 05:53 AM
topper

Topping for Kelly

Jun 11th, 2002, 06:01 AM
Sue

I keep singing the praises of Hotel du Lys, rue Serpente, in the 6th, but seems that it doesn't get much coverage on here. I paid 93 euro for a single in May, breakfast(great croisssant, baguette, oj, and coffee, tea, or chocolate) included. It's on a quiet street but very close to more lively areas. Super little place with lots of charm.

Jun 11th, 2002, 07:44 AM
kay

I have always stayed in the 7e at the Grand Hotel Leveque on rue Cler (a wonderful pedestrianized street where the locals shop) and last year at Hotel Motte Piquette just around the corner. Both close to a metro station, Eiffel, and within walking distance of lots of the sites if you are a walker. Don't stay here if you want night life ; its a very quiet residential area which is why I stay there.

Jun 12th, 2002, 04:24 AM
Madhu

I would also recommend St. Germain Latin Quarter area. Very lively. But i stayed in 7th district at Best Western Derby Alma. Charming hotel, friendly staff and just 5 min walking to Eiffel. Rooms are good size and lovely bathrooms with bathtubs. Its a very upmarket and quiet neighbourhood. 2 min to RER and Metro Station. I booked it at www.all-rooms.com and got a rate of 92 euros.

Aug 16th, 2002, 09:46 AM
xcx

Up for Dellvecc

Aug 16th, 2002, 01:06 PM
Nicole

Ling,

I went to Paris in March and stayed for 10 nights at a wonderful hotel in the 7th called Palais Bourbon. It was a block from the Varenne metro (and slightly more than a block from the Solferino metro on the opposite side). About a block from the Rodin museum.

Rooms were spacious with a private, remodeled bath. Hardwood floors, color tv, and a minifridge were in our room, as well as a big wooden wardrobe and a desk/chair. Maid service every day. Breakfast is available in the small but cheerful dining room for an extra charge. (They offer baguettes, criossants, omelettes, coffee, and hot chocolate.) We paid around $90 per night. I booked online, but I can't remember where.

The front desk attendants: there was a woman who spoke excellent English and a two men who spoke rather broken English. But they were all extremely friendly and very helpful.

I felt VERY safe in the area. There are lots of government buildings in the 7th, so you'll see guards periodically as you are walking. We went walking late at night several times during our stay and never felt unsafe.

Aug 16th, 2002, 01:15 PM
jj

Ling may be back by now.

Anyway, here's the Palais Bourbon website:
http://www.bourbon-paris-hotel.com/