Time window LHR TO CDG

Nov 21st, 2013, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Time window LHR TO CDG

A small dilemma...need to book a connecting flight from London to Paris. Our flight from the states is scheduled to arrive in London at 9:15. Next flight to Paris departs at 10:45. This is a tight window, but the next flight won't leave until 2pm ish. We will be tired and want to get to Paris asap rather than hang out at cdg for hours. If the connecting flight is missed, is it easy enough to get on the next flight to Paris? British Airways will be the carrier.
Nov 21st, 2013, 11:03 AM

I posted but lost my connection so will try again . . .

You could make the earlier flight but you won't be protected since they are separate tix. The 2PM would be best - that is what I'd book even if there wasn't an earlier flight (assuming separate bookings).

That will leave you about 2.5 hours after deplaning and before they call your next gate.
Nov 21st, 2013, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Janis...and I meant we won't want to hang at Heathrow for hours...
Nov 21st, 2013, 11:08 AM

I"m not sure I understand you, but I think you meant you don't want to hang out at LHR for hours, not CDG. Are you sure about those flights to Paris? Because BA usually has another one in there if you are willing to go to ORY. If Paris is the destination, I don't know why that would matter, in fact, ORY is closer to Paris and more convenient in that regard. They have a flight at 12:40 to ORY.

However, as with all delays, I think it is unpredictable as to how booked a particular flight will be in advance. Sometimes they are completely full depending on the time and date, and others, it wouldn't be a problem.
Nov 21st, 2013, 11:11 AM

Are you doing the whole trip from the US to France on one ticket or not?

Our flight from the states is scheduled to arrive in London at 9:15. Next flight to Paris departs at 10:45.

90 minutes is not a lot of time for a change at Heathrow.

We will be tired and want to get to Paris asap rather than hang out at cdg for hours.

Yes, hanging out at CDG sucks because it is a dump. But you will be hanging out at LHR and that's a lot better. Plus, if you have hours for a layover, you can use this: http://www.smartertravel.com/photo-g...44&photo=27205

If the connecting flight is missed, is it easy enough to get on the next flight to Paris?

You're not just catching the next train, you know.

If you are on ONE ticket from US to CDG thru LHR via the 10:45 flight, then BA will have to put you on the next AVAILABLE flight if you miss the connection. If the 2 pm flight is not available because it is sold out, you will wait longer.

If you're booking the connection separately (US to LHR on one ticket, LHR to CDG on a separate ticket) then BA is under no obligation to help you if you miss the LHR to CDG flight.
Nov 21st, 2013, 11:36 AM

>>Are you doing the whole trip from the US to France on one ticket or not?<<

It is my understanding they already have their flights to LHR and have now decided to fly directly to Paris instead of taking the Eurostar
Nov 21st, 2013, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Janis is correct...the trip from London to Paris is a separate booking. I need to digest everyone's comments...
Nov 21st, 2013, 12:02 PM

>>You're not just catching the next train, you know. << . . . And in this case the next available train is the Eurostar . . . which presents the same sort of 'miss it you are out of luck' issues, only it is all the way across town.
Nov 21st, 2013, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

But if I'm booked with British Airways for a flight from London to Paris at a certain time, and miss the flight because of a late incoming British Airways flight, they're still obligated to get me on the next available flight, aren't they? Available being the key word...
Nov 21st, 2013, 12:50 PM

>>. . . they're still obligated to get me on the next available flight, aren't they?<<

Nope. Only IF they are all on one reservation that BA set up as a 'legal' connection. The first flight -- they are only obligated to get you to THAT destination.
Nov 21st, 2013, 12:52 PM

No they aren't because they are not a single ticket. If you had booked through to Paris via LHR then yes they would be, since they would only allow you to book a "legal connection" but in this case it's two tickets so it is up to you to be there on time for your second flight. If you aren't you will have to buy new tickets for the next available flight.
Nov 21st, 2013, 01:18 PM

But if I'm booked with British Airways for a flight from London to Paris at a certain time, and miss the flight because of a late incoming British Airways flight, they're still obligated to get me on the next available flight, aren't they?

Seriously, what did I say before? IF IT IS NOT ON ONE TICKET THEN BA HAS NO RESPONSIBILITY. As Janis and h2 said, if BA didn't book this on one ticket and you're putting flights together a la carte, you are screwed if the first flight is late.

And this is why you don't cut it close . . .
Nov 21st, 2013, 01:32 PM

All of the same applies to your first idea of using the Eurostar (it is pretty likely that all Eurostar seats are booked up and you wouldn't be able to get on another train for several hours/days)

Book the 2PM flight . . . or an even later one.
Nov 21st, 2013, 02:12 PM

oh, this is a separate ticket, I thought the OP was just deciding which of several time choices to book for the connecting flight, didn't realize it had already been bought as one ticket. What was the purpose of that, anyway. Well, too late now, then why book BA if it isn't even on the same ticket? I mean, I would think that would be a pretty expensive flight, one way on BA as a separate ticket.

You can book Easyjet from Gatwick to CDG for only 44 pounds, although it is at 2:45 pm also, so you don't save time, just thought it might be cheaper. And you have the same issues of having to get there, although there is an airport transport bus, I've taken it. If BA isn't that expensive, then yes, you should use BA from LHR, with plenty of time leeway.
Nov 21st, 2013, 02:49 PM

If these are separate tickets and you miss that flight - perfectly possible, perhaps even likely - then you are a no show. You will then have to buy a new ticket to paris at the walk up price and hope that they have seats available.

The airline has no responsibility here.

And what about your luggage? Unless you are doing only carry-on - will they check through on 2 separate tickets?
Nov 21st, 2013, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

My questions have been answered, so one more round of thanks to all advice given. Better to play it safe and book a later flight with BA. And for those who haven't been following my saga, I was originally planning to take the Eurostar to Paris after a night's rest. No loss financially in booking these flight tickets at around $100 per person, it's not costing any more than it would if we had flown directly to Paris or from London to Paris on one ticket.

Christina, I appreciate the suggetions, but would rather not have the complication of arranging transport to Gatwick, especially after an all-night flight. The purpose in booking these flights from LHR to CDG is to cut out extra travel arrangements.

Guess we'll have to entertain ourselves for awhile at LHR. Maybe napping on an uncomfortable airport seat will fill the hours...

And we'll only have carry-ons. Traveling light.
Nov 21st, 2013, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

BigRuss, I just checked your link. Nap rooms...not a bad idea! Can a hub & wife share one sleeping room? Ha ha.
Nov 21st, 2013, 04:08 PM

If you book separate tickets then you'll have to go through UK passport control which makes it unpredictable especially for morning flights. Once it took me 1.5 hrs (but that was not typical). Then time to collect luggage & check in for CDG flight. Eurostar is actually a good option time & money-wise. London-Paris Eurostar RT starts at £69. There is direct subway from LHR to Kings Cross which is walking distance to St.Pancras station from where Eurostar departs. So it'll take may be 4 hrs from LHR to Paris center.
Nov 21st, 2013, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Okay, this entire plan was to avoid the hassle of landing in London and then taking Eurostar to Paris. My flights are already booked RT from the US to LHR. I was thinking since I'm flying into LHR on British Airways and then catching another BA flight to Paris, I wouldn't have to hassle with passport control since I'm not deboarding until I get to Paris. Sheesh, going around in circles...

Second opinions? Is hkto correct?
Nov 21st, 2013, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

That didn't make sense. Of course I'm deboarding; I meant not leaving the airport.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO