Reload this Page >

Time Needed for Changing Airlines in Heathrow

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 07:03 PM
Sandy

I've read some very helpful posts on London airports; I am first time traveler to UK. My question. We arrive in Heathrow at 8AM (from US), then change airlines (within Heathrow) to fly out to Ireland. What time do I need to allow between flights? Thanks, Sandy

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 07:09 PM
Lesli

Sandy -<BR><BR>It depends to a large extent whether your bags will be checked all the way through to Ireland or not. (You obviously need lots more time if you must claim and re-check luggage.) The next factor is which terminals you will arrive at and depart from.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 07:13 PM
Lesli

Oops, clicked too soon! This website may be helpful:<BR><BR>http://www.baa.co.uk/main/airports/heathrow/<BR><BR>Check &quot;flight connections&quot; to get recommended time to allow.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 08:14 PM
Sandy

Lesli, Perfect web connection and great advice. The &quot;to Ireland&quot; flights I am considering are about 3 hours after expected arrival at Heathrow. The web page you suggested listed connect times no longer than 70 minutes, so I think we will be okay--unless we arrive very late. Thanks again, Sandy

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 09:22 PM
Lesli

Sandy -<BR><BR>Glad to be of help. However, I'll restate that if you have to claim and recheck luggage, you'll need LOTS more time than that recommended 70 minutes. <BR><BR>The connection times listed are simply to get from Terminal X to Terminal Y, and board your next plane. This is because you must take a bus from one terminal to another, and there can be fairly long walks to the gate area as well.<BR><BR>If you must check in all over again (luggage, boarding passes, etc.) for your flight to Ireland, three hours is probably about right. I definitely wouldn't cut it any closer.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 05:01 AM
Amy

Sandy, what airlines are you flying? I have made the connection flying into LHR on British Airways and out to Dublin on Aer Lingus. If this is your situation, it is the longest connection I have ever made, and 70 minutes would definitely not be enough, and I didn't have to reclaim and recheck baggage and I was checked in through to Dublin. I lean more towards 2 hours, just to be safe.<BR><BR>Also be warned, it is a LOT of walking to the Aer Lingus gates.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 05:11 AM
xxx

We didn't transfer at LHR to Ireland. Sorry, I just need to say that LHR was the worse experience for us. It was from LHR to San Francisco on British Airways and it was a horrible experience. After arriving and lining up to check immigration, there was a line to go down the escalators-to catch buses to take us to the next terminal! It was so crowded that they only allow a bunch of people down the escalators at a time. I don't ever want to fly through London Heathrow anymore after this bad experience. And this was before 9/11 so I'm sure one needs to figure in extra trasfer time nowadays.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 03:48 PM
Sandy

hi, thanks again for the helpful comments. I will be on BMI going in to Belfast. One week later, my husband and son will be on either BMI or Lufthansa--probably BMI--going in to Dublin. Flights are in at 7:50AM on Virgin Airlines and out at 10:50 on BMI. An even three hours for the transfer. Looking at the website, Virgin is in Terminal 3 and BMI in Terminal 1. Think we'll be okay? Sandy

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 04:28 AM
Perry

Sandy: You'll have plenty of time to make the connection. The main problem with transfers at LHR is if Terminal 4 is involved, which is a considerable distance from the other terminals. You can actually walk underground between Terminals 1, 2 &amp; 3: they share the same station for both tube and Heathrow Express so you can imagine that they are not miles apart.