Heathrow Connection

Old Sep 1st, 2006, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heathrow Connection

I have a flight from Hamburg to Los Angeles with a connection at Heathrow that is 75 minutes. I am flying in on BMI (operated by Lufthansa) and flying out on American Airlines. I have to get from terminal 2 to terminal 3.

My question is if it is possible for me to make my flight to Los Angeles with only 75 minutes connection time. I called Travelocity to try to change it, but they want to charge a ridiculous amount of money and they told me it is enough time.
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 09:52 AM

From the Heathrow website:

Connecting from Terminal 2 to Terminal 3

Your connection will take approximately 60 minutes, from landing to departure gate. On arrival, head for the Flight Connections Centre, go through customs and security and pass by our airline desks. Take a coach to Terminal 3 and your departure gate.

With 75 minutes, you're going to be cutting it close. Hopefully your flight from LA will come in earlier and the one to Hamburg will be delayed.
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 09:58 AM

At the present time, things are different and I doubt you will be able to make the connection unless the security status is lifted...what was quoted came from pre 8/10 procedures.

Currently you cannot directly connect to any flight; you have to land in the UK, get your passport stamped and re check-in....your luggage can be checked through with no problem but you will be subject to the current UK hand luggage restrictions, have to go through Heathrow security again into the departure lounge.

I do not think this can be done in 75 minutes (again unless the security alert is lifted)...
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 10:01 AM

Check with American Airlines to see if they are a code share partner with either Lufthansa or BMI so your luggage can be checked through to LAX. If you'll have to claim your luggage and re-check it, then you won't make your connection. See the following quote from the Heathrow Web site.

"Please note that all connection times below are approximate and are for passengers with through checked bags only. If you need to collect your luggage in the terminal of your arrival please allow extra time to reach your connecting flight. Should you be concerned about making your connection within the time available, please speak to your airline at your arrival gate or in the Flight Connections Centre."

"Connecting from Terminal 2 to Terminal 3 - Your connection will take approximately 60 minutes, from landing to departure gate. On arrival, head for the Flight Connections Centre, go through customs and security and pass by our airline desks. Take a coach to Terminal 3 and your departure gate."
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Should I just buy a one-way ticket on RyanAir or another cheap airline and then go to London and switch to Heathrow. I can plan it so I have the entire day to travel.

Will they think it is weird at security if I have a ticket that is a connection from Hamburg but I took another flight to get to London?
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 10:58 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If you have a ticket from Hamburg to LA connecting through LHR - it is VERY unlikely you will be able to board at LHR.

Are you on one ticket - or two two separate bookings??
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 03:56 PM

If you have a through ticket from Hamburg to LAX and you don't take your first flight, you'll be considered a no show and the rest of your itinerary cancelled.

If your LHR-LAX flight is a completely separate ticket, then you can do what you described.
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 11:41 PM

Surely the last two replies are confused. AA and Lufthansa do not codeshare.

However, if the airlines have this booked as one journey, the connection's "legal" and - should junji miss it - junji will be put on an alternative flight.

But what's actually far more likely is that there are at least two separate journeys here, with the Lufthansa bit having being bought on a separate, but also highly inflexible, deal (even though it might not look that way). If junji misses the connection under htese circumstances, junji may be in trouble. But taking a different flight from Hamburg to somewhere in London will not invalidate the westbound AA booking.

Equally, before believing xyz123, junji should obtain clear evidence from someone who's recently taken an international connection through Heathrow that xyz123's assertion is accurate. There's been no policy decision to abandon the Heathrow norm of going to the Flight Connections Centre, getting your onward boarding pass, going through security again (it's been at least a decade since we trusted the security inspections of ANY other country) then going, airside, to your terminal. However, these things are in almost-hourly flux right now, and your timing's tight anyway.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 01:05 AM

All I can tell you is that as late as last Tuesday, the flight connection channel at Heathrow was closed...whether it has changed in the last week I can't tell you.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 08:00 AM

flanneruk,
I was responding junji's question about taking a Ryanair flight rather than the originally booked LH flight to connect to LHR-LAX. I don't see how my reply is much different than yours. We're basically both saying that it'll work as long as the LH and AA flights are on two separate tickets.
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

I called America Airlines (in Frankfurt, since I am in Germany), and they said that 75 minutes is enough to make the connection. They also said that if I missed the flight because of the connection time, then they would put me on the next flight (which is the next day). Should I just trust them and just stick to my original schedule?
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 10:25 AM

Is the possibility of flying home the next day acceptable to you?
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 10:38 AM

Sorry, shouldn't have said "home".