Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Only 1 day in London - store hours/comments on my ideas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 06:36 AM
William

I will be in London for several days but will have only 1 Saturday to see things. Suggestions?<BR><BR>1. When do stores close during the weekdays? If shopping can be done in the evening (is there a particular day that shops open late?), then more of Saturday will be free.<BR><BR>2. Some ideas:<BR>During the week, I will have little time, but I plan on seeing the outside of MI-6 headquarters.<BR><BR>Saturday:<BR>rapid visit to selected works in the British Museum and National Gallery.<BR><BR>afternoon visit to London Eye (weather permitting).<BR><BR>If it is foggy, visit to Greenwich museums and Painted Hall (if it is still open to the public)<BR>

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 07:02 AM
kate

Store hours are relatively short. Most stores are usually open until 7 on weekdays (including Fridays), but some of smaller shops might only be open until 6. Shopping neighbourhoods tend to have one late night a week (until 8 or 9). On Oxford Street the late night is Thursday, while in the Harrods/Harvey Nicks area I think it's Wednesday. Many shops don't open until 10. On Saturdays the hours are approx. 10-7. One exception is the flagship Marks &amp; Spencer, which is open until 9 every weekday (and a weekday evening is a good time to shop there because it becomes unbearably crowded on the weekend).

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 07:06 AM
xxx

Kate, would you please post which location is the flagship Marks and Spenser?

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 09:21 AM
aj

We did some shopping in the Covent Garden area on a Sunday. The stores hours were posted closing at 7pm but many closed early to our dismay! It could have been because of cold weather and being in early Jan. Just beware and don't wait until it is too late. Also, I believe Harrod's closes at 7pm on Sat. Have a great trip.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:20 AM
bettyk

One thing to keep in mind is the shopping that can be done at both Heathrow and Gatwick airports before your flight home. Great for those last minute gifts.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:27 AM
kate

Sorry. The flagship Marks &amp; Spencer is the one on Oxford St near the Marble Arch tube exit. (There is another on Oxford St east of the Oxford Circus exit, but it's not worth going to.) While M&amp;S is not high-fashion/cutting edge, it is great for good quality, reasonably priced basics in a very wide range of sizes and styles.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 12:07 PM
Rachel

If you want to do the London Eye, make sure you get tickets ahead of time--we weren't able to do it because they had sold all tickets for that day. British Museum is definitely worthwhile. We also really liked the Tower of London. I would try to shop in evenings.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 04:35 AM
Perry

Just to add to what has already been said: all major stores in the UK must close by 6pm on Sundays - that's the law.<BR><BR>You can see the exteriors of both the MI5 and MI6 buildings. MI5 is very dull; MI6 is architecturally a bit more interesting but it's basically on one side of a huge traffic intersection and there's nothing else to see or do there!