Manhattan Shopping hours

Search

Manhattan Shopping hours

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2003, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manhattan Shopping hours

Our first trip will be for a week in August to NYC, and my family of women of course want to shop, are most stores open in the evenings? Say from 5-10 p.m.? Since we will be doing the touristy things too, most museums, tours etc. are over by 5 p.m. so thought the shopping would work well in the evening if we aren't going to a play etc.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 07:29 AM

TTT. I want to know this too!
Old May 2nd, 2003, 07:41 AM

First thing to keep in mind that tourist attractions do not necessarily close at 5! Just about every museum in NYC has at least one ,(sometimes 2 ) evenings open till 9pm and they are great times to be in a museum--more relaxed, usually a place to have drink, if not a bite to eat, etc.
Also, in the summer, there are lots of free outdoor concerts and performances all over town. Check out "Lincoln Center out of doors" at www.lincolncenter.org for the time you're here

Stores in NYC keep all sort of hours. Big dept stores like Macy's are usually open till 8 every night and many other stores in midtown keep open till 7 at least (many new yorkers work till 6 or even 7PM), Gap (and other chains)stores often open till 9 , especially in the residential neighborhoods neighborhoods. Some neighborhoods keep later hours than others, but it is a rare NY store that would shut down at 5 just as people have some time to go spend money!
Old May 2nd, 2003, 07:42 AM

Call your hotel concierge. It depends on where you plan to shop. Dept. stores are all varied, by day & store, as are small boutiques. Soho will have longer hours than the upper East side, etc.
Old May 5th, 2003, 07:46 AM

I have found that the Herald Square shopping area closes up about 8-8:30 p.m. However, I've seen stores in other areas stay open until 9 p.m. Also, a lot of the drug stores are open 24/7.

I always wish that the stores all stayed open until 10 p.m. since I have only limited evenings to shop when I'm there on business.

Have fun!