Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Time constraints- which to leave out, Cinque Terre or Lake Como

Old Oct 16th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

During the last week of June 07, we're coming from Pienza area heading north and eventually ending up in Wengen. Due to time and money, I have to make a choice between CT and Lake Como. I've searched extensively and read many comments on both. Interested in scenery, hiking not a priority since we'll be doing some in Wengen. Help, thanks!
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 07:17 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
I just returned from 3 weeks in Italy. We spent our first 2 days in Como (Lenno) and our next 2 days in Cinqueterre (Manarola). We loved both places so much, we changed our plans so that we could spend a few more days in each place on our way back to Milan. I know that's not much of an answer, but I guess my point is: they're both wonderful. You have a choice between Ben & Jerry's Coffee Heath Bar Crunch or Haagen Dazs Macadamia Nut Crunch -- different, but equally rich & splendid! You can't make a wrong turn!
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 07:18 PM

Leave out Pienza?
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 12:16 AM

Having been to both places at different times of the year, I would pick Lake Como. Of course that is purely my opinion. It would depend if you prefer a "calmer" option or a more hectic option. I found Lake Como very relaxing, OK we were there in Sept and not June. I thought it was one of the most beautiful and serene places I have ever seen. I enjoyed CT but thought it was very busy, packed with people and far more hectic. You don't say how old you are, maybe you prefer the busy, busy lifestyle, or maybe you prefer taking it a bit more easy.

My opinion, and I am sticking to it.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 03:27 AM
Original Poster

Good point schnauzer- I'm 55 and night life not a priority, scenery is.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 03:57 AM

I'd skip the Cinque Terre.

I know I'm in the minority here since I've read so many glowing reports about the area. We visited Monterosso, Vernazza, and Rio Maggiore and were very disappointed. Of the three, Vernazza was the only only of any interest to us.

If you do choose to visit this area and elect to walk the 'coast road' between some of the cities be aware that what they describe as moderate difficulty between Monterosso and Vernazza is more like strenuous. The views are spectacular, however.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 04:33 AM

Beatle,
Lake Como it is for you then!! Mind you don't stay in Como itself but up in Varenna at the Hotel du Lac. Top spot, Bellagio is also good but busier. Make sure you try and visit the Villa Balbianello, just amazing. Great restaurants in both Varenna and Bellagio. I am late 40's hm hm and Dh is late 50's we stayed at Lake Como for our 20th wedding anniversary last year and thought it was the highlight. (OK so Paris was great as well!!)
You will love it. Schnauzer
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 09:19 AM

I liked both Lake Cmo and the CT, but will return to Lake Como again and again, whereas I feel I have "done" the CT.The lake is less crowded than the CT and has beautiful scenery.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 09:36 AM

IMO Lake Maggiore and Lake Garda are better tourist destinations than Lake Como - Bellagio, one of Europe's biggest tourist traps, to boot.

5 Terre is not for you from what you say if you chosing between it and dip in a lake.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 09:44 AM

I think that to call Bellagio a tourist trap is not quite fair. Yes it can be overrun in the summer. But that is because of its tremendous charm. To me a tourist trap is someplace like "The Merle Haggard Tractor Pull Museum and Theme Park." Not a place as lovely as Bellagio.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 01:11 PM

With a car, and going to CH afterward, I would stay in Menaggio on th west side. You have to do Lago Como once in your life.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 04:15 PM

boy - that's tough to decide, but if I had to lop off either the Lakes region or the CT, it'd have more to do with when the stop would be in the trip. We started with 2 nights on Lake Como and ended our 2+ weeks trip with 3 nights in Vernazza. Varenna on Lake Como was the perfect spot to decompress from work & travel (I couldn't help but think what Lake Tahoe COULD have been like), and Vernazza offered a welcome respite from the hustle & bustle of Venice/Florence. It helped to organize our circuit that we flew in/out of Malpensa.

Both areas are lovely in their own right, but I saw people struggling as much with the pedestrian alleys of Bellagio and the trails above Vernazza as I did on the trails between towns in the CT. Whichever you choose, enjoy your trip!
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 10:48 AM

<that to call Bellagio a tourist trap is not quite fair. Yes it can be overrun in the summer>

Cimbrone, i agree with you i should have qualified when i visited it was September, mid-Sept but the whole lower town was literally elbow to elbow, (almost at a Portofinoesque level of crowding!) negating for me any romance the place obviously offers when the tourist mobs are gone. Actually it was a fascinating time for me, sitting on the jetty watching boat after boat ejaculate their loads of tourists - i like mob scenes like that. I'm sure at night and in the off-season it lives up to its reputation. Even then, by climbing the hill the number of tourists quickly evaporated.
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 06:48 AM

I agree that Bellagio is overhyped and overrun, but there are plenty of lovely towns elsewhere on the lake. Varenna has similar steep alleyways. Many places have equally stunning (or better) views. And the shops in Bellagio are touristy and mostly overpriced.

best regards,
Deirdré Straughan

beginningwithi.com
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 08:48 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
In defense of Bellaggio: our first time there was in late September (this year) on a weekday. Jampackedtothegills! I couldn't wait to get back on the ferry to laconic Lenno. Two weeks later (now mid-October), also on a weekday, we returned to Bellaggio, and I'm so glad I did: I was now able to see why the place once merited its raves.
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 09:09 AM

I stayed in Bellagio for 3 days this past June (3rd week) with my two kids, and we absolutely loved it. We then headed to Portofino for lunch on way to our Tuscan place. I love both of these areas, but considering how incredibly hot and sticky it was, I would opt for the lake region, which was a bit cooler, and FAR less crowded. We also enjoyed village-hopping to Lenno (Villa Balbionella) and Varenna (and yes, Hotel du Lac looks incredible and peaceful), but thoroughly enjoyed staying right in the center of Bellagio, along the water. If you're interested in other lakes, we have also enjoyed Stresa on Lake Maggiore...lovely setting and much less visited.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the helpful replies. Having never been to any of these places, I would really like to hear comments re PalenqueBob's opinion that Lake Maggiore and Lake Garda may be a better choice(especially in early July) than Lake Como. Thanks..
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 04:30 AM

I don't you can go wrong with any of the Lakes. They all have a different character and charm. Lake Garda has a lot of sailing and sporting events, so that could be interesting if something was happening when you were there. We enjoyed Stressa - got a good feel about the place. Wasn't that impressed with the Borrowmean Islands, however. We did these after Como so I think we were villered out by then. If you hadn't been to anywhere then it probably would have been great. Lake Maggiore is more open than Como, not so intimate, but still beautiful. Have you said how long you will be staying? Missed that bit if you did. Make it the place that fits into your schedule the best, ie travel distances and ease of driving etc. Pick anyone and you can't lose. My pick still would be Lake Como, staying in Varenna.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Schnauzer, unfortunately we'll only be there 1 night, 2 days. From there we'll be going to Wengen, so based on that, I guess we're also looking for a convenient location to head out for Wengen.