Search

Cinque Terra / Lake Como

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cinque Terra / Lake Como

Hello,
I'm thinking of spending three nights in either Lake Como/Lake Maggiore or Cinque Terra (after spending a few nights in both Venice and Florence). Which would you recommend? I love nature and enjoy hiking and boating so both places seem great. I don't like anything too touristy. Also, can you recommend nice, romantic hotels around $400 US a night? I will be visitint this summer. Thank you!
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 07:55 PM

The Lakes and the Cinque Terre are pretty much "touristy" by their very nature, especially in the summer.

The Cinque Terre tends to be fairly down market, and I think you"d be hard pressed to find anywhere that charges $400 a night with the exception of the Hotel Porto Roco in Monterosso:
http://www.portorocahotel.com/
You will find other hotels in that price range in Santa Margherita Ligure, Portofino or Camogli.

For the Lakes you can find up-market choices in Bellagio and Tremezzo on Lake Como and Stresa on Lake Maggiore.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 08:18 PM

I'd choose the Lakes over the Cinque Terra. I must be one of the few people who think the Cinque Terra is over rated. If you are flying home from Milan then the Lakes would be ideal. However, hiking is something you do in Cinque Terra (well actually walking - lots of it). Villa d'Este - Lake Como
and Hotel Villa Flori - Lake Como are lovely.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 11:14 PM

I too preferred Lake Como to Cinque Terra. CT was very, very crowded in peak season. However, if you like hiking and nature you can't go wrong with either place. Lovisa has a good point, if you are flying out of Milan then Lake Como would be more convenient for you.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 11:15 PM

Sorry, meant Shar had a good point about Milan.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 05:34 AM

If you choose The Lakes, please consider Lugano - my favorite.

The hike from the top of Monte San Salvador (after you've taken the funicular up) down to Morcote on the lakefront is a very good one. Another (less strenuous) one would be along the lake from the town of Lugano to scenic Gandria. In either case, there is ferry transportation back to the starting point.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

thank you very much for all of the great advice!
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 07:43 AM

I have just come from the Cinque Terre and am in Santa Margherita Ligure, having just completed a nice hike to Portofino and back. All has been wonderful, but you couldn't PAY me to come here in the summer! Unless you love wall-to-wall people! Also here in SML, the Grand Hotel Miramare is great!
Old Aug 26th, 2007, 05:32 AM

I am planing to visit the Cinque Terre in early October 2007 after visiting the Lakes Region.
I would like advice on the best place to leave my rental car before venturing into the CT.
Please reply via email to: [email protected]

Mille grazie!

Tony