Thoughts on Residenza Canali ai Coronari

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2004, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wanted to see what everyone thought about this hotel. We are looking at staying there for our honeymoon in early may. They do not have any terrace rooms available, is it still nice in the normal double. Also if you have any other suggestions as to somewhere else that is better please let me know! THANKS!!
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 10:50 AM

We've also booked Canali ai Coronari for our honeymoon, but we'll be there in July. Sure wish someone had more concrete info about it! Be sure to post a review when you return.
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 10:59 AM

There have been a number of threads on this hotel. I know I have responded a few times saying how much I liked this hotel, there are no negatives on it in my opinion.
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 01:24 PM

Thanks, Natalia. I do appreciate your positive information. I think yours is just about the only info we have. Could you tell more about what the rooms look like? Amenities? Troubled by lack of elevator? Noise level? Nearby restaurants? Walking distance (in time) to various places?

We have one of the doubles with a terrace. Any info on those?
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 01:50 PM

Hi, I have stayed there twice, one time with a terrace and the other time with a two room suite, both were excellent.

You should be able to take your luggage up the staircase, but someone from the front desk would be able to help you.

It is on a quiet side street near P. Navona so the location is excellent.

Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 04:27 PM

Hi. We just returned from a wonderful trip to Italy. My wife and I, and our two teenaged sons stayed in the junior suite at Residenza Canali. Here is a description for those interested in this very nice Bed and Breakfast. I agree with Natalia, we too recommend it. We had two windows on Via Coronari (which was more of a large alley rather than a street, mostly walking traffic, some Vespas, very few cars). The rooms are gold with green accents, simple and pleasant decor. I wouldn't say it was as romantic as say, Positano, but romantic for a big city like Roma. The water is hot, the rooms are very clean, the staff is very helpful and pleasant. One had coffee and a small breakfast ready for us at 530am on the day we had our early airport departure. It is on the corner of Via di Tre Arche and Via Coronari. The area is very medieval, great to walk around anytime, very quiet at night. We often slept with a window open, and were never awakened by loud traffic noise, tho you'll hear Vespas when you wake up in the morning. The great breakfast consists of meats, cheese, yogurt, pastry, pie, coffee, tea, fruit juice. Staff is available any time of day, and they seem to speak English, French, Spanish, German as well as Italian. The front door was hard to find the first day, just off Via Coronari about a block in from the bus stop at Via Zanardelli. Just a name next to the door bell, so look hard. Our daughter lives in Trastevere, so every evening we walked thru Piazza Navona (2 small blocks away, past Hotel Rapheal), thru Campo der Fiori, across the Ponte Sisto, and into Trastevere. A very delightful walk past dozens of restaurants and shops. It is also about a short 5 minute walk to the Pantheon area, which has lots of restaurants as well. Easy walk to the Vatican, in the opposite direction.
I have stayed along the Tiber, and another time closer to the train station (never again, much too loud and too busy and too non-Roma), and this was by far a much better location. I don't recall any rooms with a "walk out" terrace, however. We were on the 3rd floor, and the windows open in , the shutters open out, when you look out you see the building across the alley, maybe 20-25 feet away,and over the roof tops at church steeples, and you lean into the street and watch all who walk by. There is a fourth floor that cannot be seen from the street level, so possibly a terrace up there. You do have to walk up the marble steps, but you walk for many hours a day in Roma anyway, it was not a factor for us. Overall, an excellent, affordable place. Hope this was helpful. Have a wonderful honeymoon. Roma is quite romantic to walk around.
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 08:12 PM

Thank you so much, AVazzano and Natalia. I think we made a good decision, especially considering the price. Can't wait to get there!