Search

Thistle Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2003, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thistle Hotels

I have heard negative and positive remarks about Thistle hotels. I am interested in booking one in the Bloomsbury area. Can anyone tell me about the Bloomsbury Thistle compaired to the Marble Arch Thistle. Thank you.
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 06:07 AM
Tia

We stayed at the Thistle Bloomsbury 3 weeks ago. I reserved through Priceline for $85/night US. It was very nice. We were very pleased. It was quiet with not much street noise even though we were in one of the turrets. It was also a nice sized room with a nice bathroom. I would not hesitate to stay there again provided I reserved through Priceline and got a good deal. They were asking close to $250/night directly on their web site for the days we were there. I did not think the hotel was that nice. If that wasa the price we would've had to pay, I'd have stayed somewhere else. The neighborhood was very nice. There were lots of places around to eat and it's very close to the British Museum. The Holborn Tube stop is approx. five short blocks away and there's also a nice grocery store near the Tube station. Overall, we were very pleased. If you have specific questions, just let me know!

Tia
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 07:05 AM

It's not possible to "reserve" a room at a particular hotel through Priceline. You select areas of the city, select a star level and make a bid. What you get is up to Priceline.
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 07:50 AM

Lindaraem-
I have been pricing out rooms for our trip to London in January. I called the 1-800 number for the Thistle chain, and spoke to one of the reservation agents. I am traveling with my mom and aunt, and here is a portion of the e-mail I sent them regarding my conversation with the Thistle agent:

The reservation person suggested either the Thistle Marble Arch, Bloomsbury, or Victoria. Here are the prices:

Thistle Marble Arch- Executive triple. Marble Arch has the largest bedrooms of all the Thistles. 128.08 GBP, with VAT. Breakfast would be an additional 17 GBP/person/day.

Thistle Victoria- Standard triple (much smaller) 144 GBP w/ VAT and breakfast.

The most important info I got from the call with the agent is that the Thistle Marble Arch has the largest rooms of any of the Thistle chains in London.

Hope this helps!
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 08:10 AM

Actually - the distance from Victoria to Harrods is almost exactly the same as from Victoria to Westminster Abbey -- about 9/10 of a mile. If the weather is nice either could probably be walked nearly as fast as taking the tube. From Victoria walk up Eccleston to Belgrave Place and Belgrave Square, to Sloan St and then Hans St/Rd to Harrods.

You can get to Harrods by tube by either taking the Victoria line to Green Park and then the Picadilly line to Knightsbridge, or flanneruk's version heading west to S. Kens and then switching to the picadilly line. (be sure to exit the tube station following the "Harrods" signs)
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 08:11 AM

OOPS - I posted this on the wrong thread - please ignore everything
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies. Can anyone recommend other hotels in the Bloomsbury area?
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 12:06 PM

Hi
Look into the Morgan hotel. It is budget-minded,and I've rarely seen a discouragine word.
See comments here at fodors under Hotels (click at the top of this screen) and at tripadvisor.com
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 12:51 PM
Tia

So sorry. We did not RESERVE a room through Priceline, but rather bid on a four star in the Bloomsbury area after researching what had been accepted on Biddingfortravel.com. We highly supsected we'd get the Thistle and were quite pleased with it especially for the price we paid. I was hesitant about using Priceline, but in the end, I was glad we did. We were able to use the money we saved on our hotel for other things. I will use Priceline again in the future now that I've tried it.

Tia
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 04:38 PM

1. THistle was having a very good sale on room rates on their webiste recently, I hope you've checked it out.

2. I have done fabulously well on Priceline for London, bidding for 4 stars in Bloomsbury, getting them under $100 a night. Actually I got Mayfair under$100 too, in May (Berners Hotel).

3. Hotel-assist.comLondon seems to me to be the best place if you want more control -- choose hotel, number of beds, etc. -- some great deals on there on good places.

I am going to the Russell Meriden next week, through Priceline. I stayed once at the Euton Plaza, not Priceline, and it was fine & good for the money -- lobby totally dreary, rooms totally fine, combo fine for me.