Thistle Hotels in London-near good tube stations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2003, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know how far from Thistle Islington to Kings Cross tube station? Seems like a good tube station, having 3 or 4 lines, although I can't tell about Picadilly line from the tube map. It seem to be underneath the other lines, and I don't know if that means it is accessable. I also would be interested in other Thistle hotels, but don't want to walk a half mile to the tube. How about Thistle Kensington Palace or Kensington Park? I'd really like to be near Gloucester or South Kensington tube stations, but with 3 of us, it's expensive with breakfast and tax. Some Thistles seem to be offering better deals, including breakfast and VAT tax included.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 02:03 PM

Last Thanksgiving, we stayed at the Thistle Euston which is very close to the Euston and the Euston Square stops. That gives you good access to several lines. We like the hotel and were happy with it.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 04:47 PM

I just returned from a stay at the Thistle Lancaster Gate, which is near the Queensway across from Hyde Park. (Bayswater area). It's a block and a half from the Queensway Tube station and 2 blocks from Lancaster Gate. Both stations are on the speedy, quite frequent (even on Sundays the wait was never longer than 6 minutes between trains) Central line.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 04:56 PM

I stayed at the Thistle Kensington Palace in October. It is a good 10 min walk to the High Street Kensington tube station (or Glouster Road in another direction) however the buses run right by it. I ended up taking buses a lot more than I did the tube while I was there. Plus, you can sit on the upper deck and get a great view as the bus goes along the street -- not much of a view from the tube.

I can't comment on the breakfast at the TKP as it wasn't included in my rate (I got it through Priceline). The room I got was mediocre at best but I got it for only $50/night through Priceline -- it was worth what I paid. From reviews of this hotel, room quality is variable as it is a large hotel.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 05:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I loved the Grosvenor Thistle, right next to Victoria Station.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 05:42 PM

Unless you have very low standards regarding cleanliness, courteous staff, tiny rooms and stench...I would say stay away from Thistle Islington. No, it is not close to the tube and yes, it is the ugliest hotel I have EVER stayed at. British Airways put us there for free. Stay at any other hotel but that one!
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 07:07 PM

the Kings Cross area is a REAL construction zone and VERY congested - both at street level and down in the tube.

I would think about staying in a different Thistle hotel.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I will forget Islington and look at Bloomsbury. Oh yes, Cigalechanta, there is no Thistle Grosvenor. Maybe it's now the same as Thistle Victoria??? Jeanneboca
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 09:45 PM
Original Poster

Cigalechanta, I may be wrong about that. I read about the Thistle Grosvenor again, but I sure don't see it listed on their website. Jeanneboca
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 10:55 PM

Can anyone tell me how far is Thistle Lancaster Gate from the A2 airbus stop. I thought with a large suitcase, it is easier to take a airbus (A2) than taking the tube from Heathrow (which will involve changing from Picadilly line to District and then Central line).

Any advice ?
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 02:42 AM

Raymond,
I'm not quite sure where the A2 bus stop is, but I struggled with a big suitcase on the Undeground (Queensway to Victoria) from the Lancaster Gate to Victoria Station to catch the Gatwick Express, and it wasn't much fun. (Quite a few times, I had to haul it up more than a few steps.)
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 02:44 AM

For sightseeing and theatre the Thistle Victoria hotel (the former Grosvenor), Thistle Charing Cross and Thistle Trafalgar Square are the best placed, on the District Line which runs from South Kensington to Victoria for Buckingham Palace, Westminster, Blackfriars for St Paul s, and the City, and to Tower Hill. Also, from their tube stations lines run north to shopping at Green Park, Bond Street, Piccadilly Circus, and Oxford Circus, and for the British Museum and British Library to Kings Cross. For moist theatres you walk home to Trafalgar Square and Charing Cross. The first two are part of the station buildings, but well insulated for sound.

Islington is 15 minutes further off, Kings Cross Thistle is far from any tube, on just one bus route, and Lancaster Gate and South Kensington are 10 minutes further off.

So the A2 airport bus runs to hotels needlessly far from your daily destinations. The knack is to take the Piccadilly line to Hammersmith, walk the bags 4 yards over the platform to the District line, and carry on to leave the underground at Victoria for Thistle Victoria or at Embankment, 200 yards from Thistle Charing Cross and Trafalgar Square.

Please write if I can help further. Welcome to London.

[email protected]
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 05:17 AM

We stayed at the Thistle Victoria in September. It was a decent place.If your used to the Ritz, its not it. The rooms are comfortable and large. The lobby is very nice. The ease of travel out of Victoria really surprised me.(it was our first visit)
I wouldnt hesitate to stay there again.
Ask for a even number room on the 6th floor and you get a nice view of a dangerously busy roundabout below (still quiet when sleeping)
I could sit with a cup of tea and watch for hours!
There was also a great place for breakfast about a half block up the street (cheapest and best food we had there too) The Thai place behind ythe hotel makes a great Satay peanut sauce!
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 05:32 AM

I second the Thistle Victoria. We were only in London for 3 days on a stop-over from Barcelona. The location is perfect for catching the Gatwick Express (at 7 a.m.!), trains, tube, and buses. The rooms were o.k. I bid for it on priceline--$100/night including all fees and taxes. I'd definitely stay there again.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 06:04 AM
ron

Raymond, the A2 airbus stops at Leinster Terrace, right beside the Thistle Lancaster Gate Hotel.

Note that if you decide to use the tube from Heathrow, DO NOT make the double change from Piccadilly line to District Line to Central Line. Simply change to the District Line and get off at the Bayswater station. The walk from the Bayswater station to the Thistle LG is only slightly longer than the walk from the Lancaster Gate station (in spite of what it looks like on the tube map). Simply exit the Bayswater station, immediately cross the Queensway at the zebra crossing, short walk along Inverness Place, right on Inverness Terrace, left on Bayswater past the Thistle Kensington Gardens Hotel, left on Leinster Terrace and you are there.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 06:09 PM

Holiday Inn on Cromwell Rd. Directly across the street from Glouchester tube station is terrific. Just in case you are looking for options.
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 03:49 PM

Thanks Ron. The A2 sounds very convenient if it stops right beside Thistle Lancaster gate which is where we are staying.

Can anyone tell me roughly how long it will take for the trip, The guidebooks I read said it takes about 1 hour and 40 minutes for the trip. Since I have catch a flight at 9.05 am a few days later, that means we will have to take an A2 at 5.30 am to Heathrow.

Also has the cost of the tickets for A2 just gone up. The website mentions GBP 8, or 12 return. Previously it was GBP 7/10. It is quite a big jump. As we have three in the party, may have to consider using Justairports.com private car transfer (door to door) for GBP 45 return
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 05:28 AM
ron

Raymond, here is the A2 schedule and fare pamphlet, which may help you decide between it and a car service

http://www.nationalexpress.com/pdf/a...TOKEN=12218318
Old Nov 29th, 2003, 06:56 PM

I'd have to throw in my applause for the Thistle Victoria also. We stayed there in September and this was our first trip to London. The hotel was comfortable and clean. Some rooms do not have A/C so make sure you ask for that if you are going in the summer months. The area around the hotel has several decent restaurants and pubs. An easy walk to Buckingham Palace area. And the best amenity of this hotel is the proximity to Victoria Station and the Tube - the hotel has an entrance right from Victoria Station! Excellent if you plan on using the Tube alot! We flew into Gatwick, took the express, and were deposited less than 50 yards from our hotel.
Old Nov 29th, 2003, 09:36 PM

The Thistle hotels tend to be well placed for the tube, but some better than others. I do not know prices: perhaps the better placed Thistles cost more.

I start with the best-placed hotels, and move to the worst-placed

Charing Cross
Victoria (formerly Grosvenor)
Trafalgar Square
Euston
Old Whitehall
Royal Horseguards
Selfridge
Piccadilly
Bloomsbury Park
City Barbican
Marble Arch
Kensington Gardens
Kensington Palace
Kensington Park
Lancaster Gate (from Heathrow with luggage take the Piccadilly Line to Hammersmith, cross the platform to the District Line to South Kensington, cross the platform to the Circle Line to Bayswater, and then as Ron says walk to the hotel)
Hyde Park
Islington (100 Kings Cross Road) and London Ryan (Kings Cross Road), well away from the construction area at Kings Cross, but also well away from tubes. Just one bus route
Tower
Hendon Hall
Cannizaro House

Welcome to London

[email protected]