Things to do in Milan

Search

Things to do in Milan

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Things to do in Milan

I will be accompanying DH to Milan, Italy later this month where he will be on a business trip. I have been there before, but have only been into the cathederal. I am at a loss as to what to do and see during the day as I don't speak any Italian, but will be taking a phrase book, and don't have an electronic translator. I would be walking everywhere as the hotel is close to the center. It would be nice to have the $$ to shop the fashion houses, but I don't have the $$ to do that, although it would be nice. If anyone could tell me what sort of weather to expect in Milan at the end of January so I can plan the packing. Thanks
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 09:57 AM

The weather at that time of year in Milan will be gray and cold. Milan still has a fur industry and you will see fur on many locals.

Milan sights you might consider:
- You have visited the duomo--Did you go up on the roof? it is a very interesting experience.
- Galleria Vittorio Emanuele across the way from the duomo.
- DaVinci's Last Supper at the Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie--you must make a reservation
- Art museums: Pinacoteca Abrosiana, Pinacoteca di Brera
- Window shopping on Via Montenapoleane

If you want a real adventure, you might take a train to Torino for the day.
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 10:15 AM

Visit the Castello Sforzesco -- you can spend a day there, there's so much to see. Also the museum at La Sala is interesting, even if you are not into opera. Have lunch or stop for a glass of wine at Peck (not in the basement winebar -- it's much more comfortable in the upstairs cafe). Museo Poldi-Pezzoli is interesting -- an old family home, with the family's art collection. Pinocoteca di Brera is a wonderful museum, and the surrounding area is wonderful for wandering -- lots on tiny boutiques (even if you only window shop) and restaurants and bars. Hope that's helpful.
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 10:39 AM

You do not say how long you will be there or what your interests are and ellenem has given good suggestions for Milan.

Torino is high on my list and would make an interesting day trip. You could also take the train to Florence (under 2 hours each way) and spend the day enjoying this city without the crowds.

You can train to Bologna in just 1 hour and 5 minutes and spend the day exploring this lovely city - a great day trip IMO.

Lots of great options depending on your interests and sense of adventure.
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 10:41 AM

I forgot to mention that I dress in layers when I visit Europe in winter so I can add or subtract as necessary.
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 01:24 PM

Be sure to have lunch at Luini's, across from the Duomo. We did the rooftop walk (don't know if that's good for January) and thought it was a very enjoyable and unusual experience.
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 02:27 PM

Agree with above and you could also take a train ride to town of Como-it has a history of silk that may interest you.

Take a look online at some of the surrounding towns/cities. DH and I trained from Verona to Milan for the day so there's no reason why you couldn't go there either!
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 08:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The lovely town Bergamo is about an hour away by train.

You sound a little concerned about not knowing Italian. Believe me, you won't have trouble finding Italians who speak English but being able to express the usual pleasantries and polite phrases will be appreciated.
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 04:18 AM

Montenapoleone is a very expensive area to do some shopping but it would be surely nice to take a lokk. An other good mall to do some shopping in Milan( without the extravagant prices you'll find at Montenapoleone) is Corso Buenos Aires ( metro stop Lima-line 1).
It seems to me nobody has mentioned the CASTELLO SFORZESCO (Sforzesco Castle) .It's a huge medioeval Castle in the center of Milan you mind find interesting to visit. There are always great exhibitions inside. And outside there is Parco Sempione, a nice large park (but DON'T THINK ABOUT HUGE PARKS IN LONDON OR CP IN NY IT IS FAR SMALLER ) where you can unwind if the day is nice. The Castle metro stop is CAIROLI (LINE 1) . You can get to the Castle on foot from the Duomo if you take VIA DANTE.
Talking about exhibitions, just outside the DUOMO there is PALAZZO REALE, where there are often art exhibitions.
If you are interested in modern buildings it might be worth taking a look at the Pirelli skyscraper (metro stop CENTRALE, line 2-3) or the Torre Velasca ( Velasca Tower- METRO STOP MISSORI- LINE 3), which is another landmark of Milan. If you get off at GARIBALDI metro station(line 2) you'll see other skyscrapers.
I would also reccommend Bergamo as a day trip, as well as Como(even nearer)
Unfortunately Milan is hot and muggy in the summer but cold to very cold in the winter. It will still be rather cold in January
Old Jan 19th, 2011, 09:31 AM
JBX

LA SCALA ! You'll be in Milan shortly, and during prime time season for the offerings (opera/ballet/concerts) at Teatro alla Scala >>> http://www.teatroallascala.org/en/index.html

CAVEAT .... not all seats are created equal >>> http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio..._Lombardy.html
Old Jan 19th, 2011, 10:13 AM

I would pack for freezing weather, including the possibility of snow.

How long will you be there? Fast trains in Italy now whisk people around with incredible speed. You can be in Bologna in 57 minutes out of Milan. I haven't timed Verona or Florence, but if you are interested, consider it.

But here's the deal: Wherever you go in northern Italy, it is going to be COLD. Hard to imagine being comfortable walking around outside all day. You need to get your hands on a guidebook dedicated to Milan so you know what indoor activities you want.

By the way, do you have the bucks for a facial and a haircut? A steam bath would sound nice to me.
Old Jan 19th, 2011, 12:33 PM

Pavia is very close and a lovely town to visit. Nearby is the Certosa di Pavia, a fascinating Carthusian Monastery.
If you are interested in Soccer the tour of San Siro Stadium, the home of AC & Inter Milan is worth the visit.